Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
You sign a new contract? But they backdate it?

AT&T, make your own internal billing easier!!

This seems standard since the contract references the unique ID of the equipment being used as part of the contract. This could also be done with a contract amendment, however execution of a superseded contract is basically the same thing..

Steve

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
IIRC, AT&T tries really hard to force a new SIM on you when you buy a new phone. Not sure why, but the "instructions" usually tell you to leave the new SIM in the new phone and not to put your old SIM in, then call customer service to deactivate the old phone and reactivate the new one. So it's not a shocker, although it might have more technical reasons than AT&T simply being stubborn and not wanting people to know SIMs can move from phone to phone.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I transfered my phone muber to two new iPhones in the past two months and both times, the iPhone would not activate till I put the sim the iPhone came with back in. I had always heard that all I had to do was put my old sim in the new phone and then activate it through iTunes, but that was wrong. As I said, both iPhones would not activate till I put the sim that the phone came with back in. This was simply transfering my number to the new iPhone.

This happened again when I bought my new 16GB iPhone, I had to use the sim the new iPhone came with.

Also I did not have to start a new AT&T contract all those times. I still have all my thousands of rollover minutes since July 6, I have over 2500 rollver minutes that I will never use and I still am 6 months into my contract as I should have been.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Here is my question, lets assume I keep my current iPhone for the entire two years of my contract and then after that we have a 2nd or 3rd generation iPhone, if I go to Apple and buy the phone will I have to sign another two year contract to use it? If Apple keeps making great phones I plan to stick with them, but I hate being in a contract with AT%T.

victry1

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
NJ
What about @ the end?

I would like to know what is going to happen at the end of my 2 year contract & suppose I go onto a different phone. Is my iPhone going to work as an iPod, notes, Wi-fi? I mean it has Wi-fi, I would hope it would still work as everything but a phone. Has there been any word on when they will be able to be unlocked, say if you want to travel to a different country? I'm new to AT&T and unlocked phones, etc. I love my phone-think it's great, but when I think about these issues IMO they need to be dealt with. I wasn't thrilled switching to AT&T to begin with, but to think I'm going to have a brick if don't continue after 2 years is bothersome.

I realize no one knows about @ the end of the 2 years what it's going to be, but, I for one am going to email Apple.

I think the AT&T rate for the iPhone plan is good, but what if you switch plans, say to a BB & 6 months later back to the iPhone - is that another 2 year contract.:confused:

jlongale

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
I know this might sound kinda dumb and might have already been asked and answered already but what about those of us who went the cheap route and have a 4gb can I upgrade to a 16gb with no problem. Cause all I've read here is about the 8gb to the 16gb. And can some one answer if you can upgrade with out extending your contract. All I read is people saying "yes....but." Its a simple yes or no question.

victry1

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
NJ
According to http://www.macintouch.com/iphone/faq.html:
"iPhone will not work until activated with iTunes. If service is subsequently cancelled, iPhone functions as an iPod and WiFi-only internet device, without phone or SMS texting functionality."

Yes, I saw that. However, the guy at the Apple store said it would not work at all without an AT&T contract. On another forum though we came to the conclusion it would remain operable as long as there are no updates.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
iPod functionality

Yes, I saw that. However, the guy at the Apple store said it would not work at all without an AT&T contract. On another forum though we came to the conclusion it would remain operable as long as there are no updates.

Not true, it will work as an iPod and Wi-Fi device, with the help of a little hacking at the very most.

ny3ranger

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
I think so. When i first bought mine. There was something wrong with the battery. So when I took it back they just took a new one out of the box and switched the sim card and gave it to me. So i have to assume that it would be the same between the 8 gig to the 16 gig. And possibly with the 2nd gen as well.

This makes no sense whatsoever. If I put my old SIM in, and throw the new one away, don't I just avoid this hassle altogether? I thought iPhones worked with any iTunes activated SIM--put it in and connect to iTunes.

Maybe they figure people will be too stupid to understand the paperclip SIM replacement diagram.

Usually, at least here in the U.S., people buy new phones subsidized, so the contract extension makes sense. But for most any company specific phone (AT&T locked in this case), or for any unlocked SIM phone, you just pop your SIM in and it works. No need to deal with the company at all if you're buying unsubsidized.

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I just successfully upgraded to a 16GB iPhone. Here are the steps to take. It's crucial that you follow this order:

1. Have both phones unplugged from any computer.
2. Swap the SIM cards.
3. Plug in the 16GB iPhone, and activate it, saying you want to "replace an existing phone" (choose that option during activation).
4. Go through with the whole activation process. Let the 16GB phone sync with the backup of your 8GB phone.
5. Plug the 8GB phone with the 16GBs SIM into a different mac. It'll say that the SIM isn't valid and that you need to put in the SIM that is linked to your AT&T contract. Press and hold the home and wake/sleep buttons for 6 or 7 seconds until the Apple appears on the iPhones screen. This restores it and the phone now sees the brand new SIM as a perfectly functional SIM capable of activating the phone with a new contract. "Let's Get Started" will appear in iTunes now, on the Mac that the 8GB phone is plugged into. The first step of genuine activation.
6. You can then unplug the 8GB iPhone, and sell it, or whatever you wanna do with it. It's like a refurbished phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.