Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today's iMac updates provided a few surprising upgrades to the existing iMacs. The key changes include:

- Faster Penryn processors (2.4GHz-3.06GHz), up from 2.0-2.8GHz Merom processors.
- 1066MHz Front Side Bus, up from 800MHz.
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512MB on high end model
- More RAM (2GB) in mid-range models, up from 1GB

Montevina or Not?

First, some background: Intel delivers to its PC manufacturers specific "platforms" which are made up of the processor, chipset and wireless networking interface. These platforms go by specific codenames, such as "Santa Rosa" and "Montevina". While Apple technically does not adopt these platforms in their entirety, for simplicity sake, we still refer to Macs using these specific named platforms.

Up until now, the MacBook, MacBook Pro and iMac have been based on the "Santa Rosa" platform which offers a 800MHz front-side bus. The front-side bus determines how fast the processor communicates with the rest of the computer. The "Santa Rosa" platform was first launched with the "Merom" processor, but recently gave way to the "Penryn" processors. The most recent MacBook and MacBook Pro updates adopted the new "Penryn" processors, but still on the 800Mhz front-side bus Santa Rosa chipset.

The introduction of the 1066MHz front-side bus iMac alongside faster Penryn processors suggested that Apple may have been able to launch the Montevina (1066MHz) chipset earlier than the expected June timeframe. When directly asked, however, Intel simply describes them as being "special" faster versions of the existing Santa Rosa chipset. The main difference, however, appears to be that these new chips consume more power than the upcoming Montevina chipsets.

For iMac buyers, however, it makes little difference. These new machines effectively provide the key benefits of the Montevina platform: faster processors and a faster front-side bus.

Besides the processing advantages, the addition of the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512MB is claimed to offer 2.2x the graphics performance of the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro.

Buy or Not?

The new iMacs should be in Apple's retail stores now. However, Apple is currently providing substantial ($250-$700) discounts on refurbished previous generation iMac stock, which may better fall in your price range if absolute performance is not your top priority. Unlike with the recent MacBook and Macbook Pros revision, however, modest retailer discounts ($50-$250) on new-in-box previous generation iMacs offer no added value over simply buying today's models. For those who can wait a few more days for delivery, MacMall is already offering $50-100 mail in rebates on the new machines, and Amazon typically follows suit with their own rebates.

Our iMac Buyer's Guide recommendation has been changed to "Buy Now" and the days-since-release counter reset.

Article Link

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I think its a good upgrade. I would buy one if I had the money. :)

It's a bigger upgrade than most expected. Seems like a good time to buy. The next really major processor upgrade won't be into 2009. So it could be a year away.

The buyers guide predicts the next update in about 7 months based on average-cycle length, but I don't know if there are any Intel processor upgrades in that timeframe.

arn

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
It's a bigger upgrade than most expected. Seems like a good time to buy. The next really major upgrade won't be into 2009. So it could be a year away.

The buyers guide predicts the next update in about 7 months based on average-cycle length, but I don't know if there are any Intel processor upgrades in that timeframe.

arn

With this special revision of SR, Apple could go all the way until Nehalem comes to light.

godspeed

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2006
Well done Apple, finally an Imac that has a worthy video card. This addition will cover a market that was much lacking in the past and prove to be a carrot for pc users that felt the Imac (old hd2600 in bootcamp) just didn't cut it.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I like that MacRumors is telling the updated info on the "Buyer's Guide" on the front page. Good insight behind the recommendations they provide as well as make those unaware of the Buyer's Guide, aware.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
There will still be a lot of people crying over the fact it's not Montevina, but it really isn't a big deal.

I'm very interested, especially with the 24" getting the 8000GS. :)

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
There will still be a lot of people crying over the fact it's not Montevina, but it really isn't a big deal.

It might be a big deal if the temps go up and make the fans whirr constantly - or even occaisionally - my current 2.8GHz extreme is silent. Noisy computers cheese me right off

crockett

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2008

When I look at prices of the high end iMacs.. I can't help but wonder if the better deal isn't just buying a refurb Mac Pro with dual 3.0's. It's practically the same price.

At this point, I'm kinda torn between the 2.8 refurb or if I were to go over $2k to just get a refurb mac pro.

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
This is why I love Apple...

But why have they announced their products lately on a Monday? The MB, MBP revision was on a Monday, as was todays. Are Tuesdays out?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002

Don't worry, there will be a lot of people complaining about having to buy new memory instead.

Should make them happy they can still shed tears and whine like babies.

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
As I always say, buy a computer when you need one. Don't wait for the next best thing to buy your computer because you will always be waiting. And despite what some people say, this was a real upgrade for the iMac.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Wonder what this means for the Mac Mini refresh?

They still sell the mini? LOL

Everytime I go to the Apple store, there is a single mini connected to a 23" monitor. It is surrounded by 20 other non-mini systems. Like it is the second class citizent.

Hope they upgrade it soon.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

No crying from those Montevina people. We get Montevina clock speeds and front side bus. Montevina is possible later this year for a quad core iMac. ;)

The 8800GS is actually an 8800M GTS.

DDR2-667 SODIMM RAM should work as well.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Many wonder when apple is going to integrate Blu-Ray into new models.

doesnt have to be expensive to have a superdrive that can read BD discs.

Prices are also coming down on the models which burn, but of course that would be a premium.

at this point, i'd like apple to finally start moving in the right direction in this side of the business

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Time for a new Apple logo?

top01.gif

This could be pretty hot and noisy for a system that's right in front of you....

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
This is why I love Apple...

But why have they announced their products lately on a Monday? The MB, MBP revision was on a Monday, as was todays. Are Tuesdays out?

It's Tuesday in New Zealand and Australia...

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
It is a good upgrade as I just ordered the 3.06Ghz model with 4 gigs of RAM. Guess what, my dual 2.0Ghz G5 died last night. A perfect timing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.