Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkwuc89

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Powell, OH
According to the technical specifications for the new iMacs, 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM is required. The upgrade cost to go from 2 GB to 4 GB via Apple is $200.00 which we all know is a bit high. OWC currently does not list memory upgrades for the new iMacs.

A quick check on PriceGrabber.com revealed these product listings. It looks like the price for a 2 GB module compatible with the new iMacs should run between $45 and $50.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
3rd Party RAM for New iMac!!!

With the new iMac, and the new RAM, and some of my friends buying ones on my advice - I am left to try to and find 3rd party ram for the new iMac.

I know it is early, but does anyone know anything about it? Is it desktop RAM? or is it still laptop? and who makes equivalent RAM?

i think any answers would benefit all of us:rolleyes:

thanks guys :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I know it is early.....
You said it....

i think any answers would benefit all of us:rolleyes:

thanks guys :)
Nope it's still early. I mean it's not even 8 am PT. I'd say give it just one measly day and you'll have all answers to your questions. Alternatively, call the store and see if they cannot help you. My guess is taking action will get you answers before sitting around telling people what would benefit all of us.
:)

badcrc32

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2007
Need Help too

I want to put 4gb of memory in my New Imac that ive been waiting for months for....What should we use for the 3.06?

Thanks in advance!

clin86

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
IT WORKS!!! i just got the new imac and i put in the old 4gb of ram and it works, imo i think its even faster than the ones that originally came with the imac.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
IT WORKS!!! i just got the new imac and i put in the old 4gb of ram and it works, imo i think its even faster than the ones that originally came with the imac.
Can you post a screenshot of what System Profiler shows for the DDR2-667 RAM under the Memory pane?

clin86

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
Here ya go.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    579.1 KB · Views: 254
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 202

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Here ya go.
Thanks a lot! Which vendor did you the RAM from?

Back when the original Core Duo Macs were released users were able to use DDR2-533 RAM even when it came with 667 stock. Given that its an uprated Santa Rosa chipset you're just fine. ;)

clin86

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
its kingston. i got it at a campus store. works fantastic tho.
and it boots faster than the 2gb that it originally came with. no idea why

ROFISH

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
There's really no speed difference between the 667MHz and 800MHz RAM if you use a matched pair. You get an effective 1333 MHz or 1600MHz RAM speed which is faster than the (new) 1066 MHz FSB. If you have older RAM, go ahead and use it. (Provided the timings don't crash it, Macs have historically been picky about off-spec RAM.)

If you're buying new RAM however, get the 800MHz since it's about the same price and might be useful for upgrades later. Of course Nehalem iMacs and/or notebooks might use DDR3, but that's a different discussion.

clin86

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
so whats the point of apple using the new rams instead of cheaper 667s? isnt there any difference at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.