Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soccersquirt82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I was wondering how to add columns in Pages. In Word, I would add a column and then when I typed to the end of the page, it would print at the top of the page on the right. I don't need to add a column in a table. Anyone know how to do this?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The Inspector is more than handy, it's essential. Probably 90% of the questions we get about Pages can be answered by looking at the Inspector.

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Sorry to bring up an old thread. The inspector is now my best friend but how can I align my multiple columns (3) to perfectly match horizontally? It's off by like a fraction of an inch and it's driving me ill. I tried everything I can come up with. Any thoughts?

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Sorry to bring up an old thread. The inspector is now my best friend but how can I align my multiple columns (3) to perfectly match horizontally? It's off by like a fraction of an inch and it's driving me ill. I tried everything I can come up with. Any thoughts?

Inspector > Layout > Layout > 3 Columns > select the Equal Column width box. You can change the gutter width too if you wish.
View > Show layout might make it easier, you can show invisibles too.
S.

Reactions: 4509968

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
I really don't want to give up here but this is driving me crazy. I've tried all of the above suggestions but it's still off and not horizontally leveled out. I can't stand this.

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Inspector > Text > Text > Check the before and after paragraph spacing.
Anything other than Zero will put a different point size space between paragraphs than gets put between sentences.
Might make a difference to the column set up.
S.

Njke

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
Hi all!
Is it possible to get bot the 2-column layout and the 1-column layout on the same page?
You know, for the case of articles when the tittle, authors and abstract are centered in a 1-column layout and the text itself is in a 2-columns layout.
Thanks in advance!

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
Hi all!
Is it possible to get bot the 2-column layout and the 1-column layout on the same page?
You know, for the case of articles when the tittle, authors and abstract are centered in a 1-column layout and the text itself is in a 2-columns layout.
Thanks in advance!

Yes, insert a layout break or use a text box for the title or a combination as I did in this newsletter done in Pages '05.

Attachments

• layout1.png
    layout1.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,504

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Going to revive this thread because I do no want to make a new one. So I want to expand a table in a pages document. How would i do this?

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Hey guys,

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm having trouble formatting columns and pages 09. I wrote up a resume, and the references part goes on a little bit too long. I want to make two columns of just that section. What I did was I highlighted just the contacts portion, I hope inspector, went to layout, and put in two columns. Instead of formatting just the highlighted part, however, it formatted the entire document into two columns, and I can't get it to stop doing that. And I doing something wrong?

Thanks guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.