MobileMe and my email address!? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:16 PM   #1
jontucker
macrumors 6502

MobileMe and my email address!?

Anybody have any idea if it will be possible to transfer my current domain name email address to the MobileMe service?

I really like the look of it but I couldnt change my email address to an @me.com one!

I suppose another question would be was it possible to use custom domain names with .mac?
jontucker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:17 PM   #2
FarSeide
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontucker View Post
Anybody have any idea if it will be possible to transfer my current domain name email address to the MobileMe service?

I really like the look of it but I couldnt change my email address to an @me.com one!

I suppose another question would be was it possible to use custom domain names with .mac?
you have the choice of changing it to .me or keeping the .mac account name. You will have 2 sets (.mac and .me account).
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:18 PM   #3
benmrii
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I really doubt it.

Quote:
Nope.
benmrii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:21 PM   #4
NAG
macrumors 68030

You can use your own domain name with the mobileme website. So the above poster is wrong.

About transfering your email. You can do email forwarding, but you can't really do much more than that.
NAG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:24 PM   #5
citron230
macrumors 6502a

not sure if this helps but from the apple website:

Your email address at me.com or mac.com.

As a MobileMe subscriber, you can still use your email address at mac.com. You’ll also get a new address at me.com with your user name. Use whichever one you like.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/migrating/
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:31 PM   #6
benmrii
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAG View Post
You can use your own domain name with the mobileme website. So the above poster is wrong.
You can disagree with my opinion, but "wrong" is improper since I'm just making a guess at this point. Have you seen some documentation from Apple that shows you can do this?
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:40 PM   #7
NAG
macrumors 68030

It's an advertised feature. So yes, your assertion is wrong regardless of it just being your opinion. link
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:44 PM   #8
benmrii
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It's an advertised feature. So yes, your assertion is wrong regardless of it just being your opinion. link
Ah, I see that I was wrong on .Mac, thanks for the correction. Have you seen anything about this for me.com though? That is what the OP and I were wondering.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:45 PM   #9
chicagdan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
NAG, you can use the domain name to host a website, (www.website.com), but cannot used the attached e-mail names (joe@website.com) within the .mac system.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:53 PM   #10
sassenach74
macrumors 65816

I've just pre-ordered MobileMe, for £59 (UK).
I was kinda hoping that at the time of ordering I would be able to pick my email address, didn't get that option, oh well, Just gotta hope the one I want doesn't get taken before I can register it. I've also registered to be notified when MobileMe becomes available (says mid july on the website), so if any of you are concerned about not getting the name you want, could be an idea to register too.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:58 PM   #11
benmrii
macrumors 65816

I believe all .Mac addresses will have first dibs on their .me counterparts. So if I had macrumors@mac.com then no one could take macrumors@me.com... essentially it's mine.

If you have an address that you really want I'd just sign up for .Mac today and cancel your pre-order since you can roll over into it anyways.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:59 PM   #12
NAG
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagdan View Post
NAG, you can use the domain name to host a website, (www.website.com), but cannot used the attached e-mail names (joe@website.com) within the .mac system.
And if you read my post you'll notice I said the only solution was email forwarding.

Read first, jump to conclusions later (or not at all preferably).

Anyway, all the dotmac features are coming over to mobileme minus web view for bookmarks and the slideshow publisher screen saver thing.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:59 PM   #13
sassenach74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmrii View Post
I believe all .Mac addresses will have first dibs on their .me counterparts. So if I had macrumors@mac.com then no one could take macrumors@me.com... essentially it's mine.

If you have an address that you really want I'd just sign up for .Mac today and cancel your pre-order since you can roll over into it anyways.
I did initially want to sign up for a .mac account, but for the life of me I can't find where to sign up, is it still available to buy?
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:01 PM   #14
NAG
macrumors 68030

They seem to have killed the ability to buy dotmac, I can't find it. So you'll have to wait for mobileme to be up within the next month.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:03 PM   #15
razorianfly
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassenach74 View Post
I've just pre-ordered MobileMe, for £59 (UK).
I was kinda hoping that at the time of ordering I would be able to pick my email address, didn't get that option, oh well, Just gotta hope the one I want doesn't get taken before I can register it. I've also registered to be notified when MobileMe becomes available (says mid july on the website), so if any of you are concerned about not getting the name you want, could be an idea to register too.
I'm not doubting for a second that the site says mid-July as I've seen that statement myself, but during the WWDC keynote, didn't Phil Schiller throw up a slide which stated Mobile Me would only be available in September?

Are we starting to see a pattern emerging here?

v2.0 now June 27th instead of early July according to a leaked ad on apple.com, and now Mobile Me 2 months early, now mid-July?

Is anyone starting to doubt Apple's release estimates? - Cos' I sure am.

R-Fly

Last edited by razorianfly; Jun 11, 2008 at 04:08 PM.
razorianfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:12 PM   #16
sassenach74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
They seem to have killed the ability to buy dotmac, I can't find it. So you'll have to wait for mobileme to be up within the next month.
Ok, I just successfully registered a .mac account. I went to the .mac website, and chose to sign on, then clicked the 'sign up' button.

Unfortunately, it costs more to get a .mac account than it does to get a MobileMe account (£69 compared to £59) I got one all the same, and yes, the name I really wanted was taken, Life goes on
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:14 PM   #17
NAG
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorianfly View Post
I'm not doubting for a second that the site says mid-July as I've seen that statement myself, but during the WWDC keynote, didn't Phil Schiller throw up a slide which stated Mobile Me would only be available in September?

v2.0 now June 27th instead of early July according to a leaked ad on apple.com, and now Mobile Me 2 months early, now mid-July?

R-Fly
The September thing is unrelated to mobileme. This is talking about the iPhone/iPod Touch push notification service which will be a free ability for iPhone apps.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:16 PM   #18
sassenach74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorianfly View Post

R-Fly
Ok cos I now have a .mac account, I visited the site, clicked on more info about MobileMe, clicked the FAQ, and it says this:

When will I be upgraded to MobileMe?
The transition will occur in early July when MobileMe becomes available. A change of service email will be sent to your mac.com address when the upgrade occurs.

Link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1932 (if it works for you)
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:51 PM   #19
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Would new MobileMe users (after July 11th) be allowed choose either .mac or .me address, or is this option limited to existing .Mac users?
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:56 PM   #20
sassenach74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Would new MobileMe users (after July 11th) be allowed choose either .mac or .me address, or is this option limited to existing .Mac users?
That option would be just for current .mac users
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:03 PM   #21
KeegoSupremo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
My understanding is that only current .mac users will have the option of .mac or .me But I could be wrong.
KeegoSupremo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 06:32 PM   #22
tallyho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

About transfering your email. You can do email forwarding, but you can't really do much more than that.
Yeah but the thing is "using your own domain name" doesn't just mean pointing your web address to an iWeb created site hosted on .Mac (MobileMe), it obviously means using it for email addresses too. So, frankly, you are wrong.

I signed up for a free .mac trial yesterday, and the push syncing of mail, contacts and calendars looks pretty useful for me (work computer, home iMac, Powerbook and soon iPhone) and I guess I'll be happy to continue using Gmail IMAP to manage all my email accounts as I do at the moment, but it would be much more helpful if MobileMe would let you send from your own email adresses, as GMail (sort of) does.
tallyho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 06:39 PM   #23
M. Malone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Quote:
And if you read my post you'll notice I said the only solution was email forwarding.

Read first, jump to conclusions later (or not at all preferably).
wow NAG, you must know a lot, and you're very friendly at explaining things, thanks!

Quote:
You're wrong here, you can sign up for a .Mac trial then keep the name when MobileMe is out:

Link

Read first, jump to conclusions later (or not at all preferably)
M. Malone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 07:13 PM   #24
fishkorp
macrumors 68000

You shouldn't have purchased dotMac from Apple, it's much cheaper on Amazon. I bought a family pack for $124, was delivered today. It's like buy one full priced account, get 4 sub-accounts for ~$5 each.
fishkorp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 08:05 PM   #25
NAG
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho2550 View Post
wow NAG, you must know a lot, and you're very friendly at explaining things, thanks!

You're wrong here, you can sign up for a .Mac trial then keep the name when MobileMe is out:

Link

Read first, jump to conclusions later (or not at all preferably)
I did read first and noted that I could not find it. Good for you being only the third person to find the sign up option after I posted. You should give yourself a cookie.

And tallyho, since you're apparently incapable of reading my post:

Quote:
Now sit and think about that. Maybe you can have Jericho share his cookie with you if you need to be cheered up.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services