Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
And tallyho, since you're apparently incapable of reading my post:

Now sit and think about that. Maybe you can have Jericho share his cookie with you if you need to be cheered up. :p
Er, of course I read your post. If you read back the thread you will see that you are the one incapable of understanding that "using your domain name" means, well, using your domain name, ie for email, not merely forwarding a web address to a dot mac hosted website. That is clear from the original post and from the title of the thread. You have a serious attitude problem, but if it makes you happy to make yourself look silly on this forum well go ahead :rolleyes:

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
There seems to be a lot of confusion about how me.com addresses will work for users who currently have a mac.com address. The available documentation is fairly clear.

You will not have to choose one address or the other. As soon as MobileMe goes live, mail sent to you@mac.com or you@me.com will both appear in your MobileMe inbox. The addresses are completely equivalent to one another, and it's totally automatic.

The only thing you might have to change is in your desktop mail client (e.g. Mail.app) to set the address recipients will see in the From: field of email from you. It probably says you@mac.com now and you will be able to change it to you@me.com if you want.

JonboyDC

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
They seem to have killed the ability to buy dotmac, I can't find it. So you'll have to wait for mobileme to be up within the next month.
As someone else noted, Amazon still has individual ($69) and family packs ($116) available, and Apple has confirmed that people who purchase them will get the upgrade to mobileme.

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
There also seems to be confusion about my original question, which was (clarified...);

I currently use my own domain name for my email address (and website but thats a different thing because I can simply enable domain name forwarding on my account with 1&1.com and point the address at whatever web space I like, and with stealth forwarding you can't tell that it's doing it.).

What I want to be able to do is set up my me.com account so that any email sent to my jontucker.com account goes directly into my me.com email box, without having to be forwarded by a 3rd party server. It would mean transfering the domain name to apple DNS servers. Also I want any email sent from my me.com account to have my jontucker.com address as the sender.

I've looked around and it cerntainly looks like this isn't possible, which is a shame because 1&1 also provide an Exchange account which would work with all my devices, I just like the look of me.com better (and it's cheaper!)

Oh well....

ksgordo

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
MobileMe and other email addys

There also seems to be confusion about my original question, which was (clarified...);
Also I want any email sent from my me.com account to have my jontucker.com address as the sender.

I've looked around and it cerntainly looks like this isn't possible, which is a shame because 1&1 also provide an Exchange account which would work with all my devices, I just like the look of me.com better (and it's cheaper!)

Oh well....

Another user with this problem posted information about a service (that I happily disclose a connection to) at http://www.macosxhints.com/comment.php?mode=view&cid=101057 . Loa PowerTools is available at http://www.loapowertools.com.

ajbert

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
Solution Found...

Anybody have any idea if it will be possible to transfer my current domain name email address to the MobileMe service?

I really like the look of it but I couldnt change my email address to an @me.com one!

I suppose another question would be was it possible to use custom domain names with .mac?

Neil Cameron2 on the Apple support discussions just posted the following solution, which I repost here in case the thread "goes missing"...

Neil Cameron2 said:
I got a MobileMe account to (a) keep my laptop, desktop and iPhone in sync, and (b) get Push email. I did NOT need or want another email address; I have a business email account I need to use, and that is what I wanted to continue to use and (more importantly) for my clients to see and reply to.

This works fine on Outlook, just set your reply email in Mail Settings, More Settings Reply To email address.

A MobileMe alias is no use to me, they all end in @me.com. And I don’t want more than one Email Account to check. I have struggled for two days to make this work for emails sent from my iPhone, including going to the London Apple Store and consulting a ‘Genius’ – the official Apple position, “it can’t be done”.

It can. It’s a pain; but it can – you can set up MobileMe to use any email address as a 'push' email on the iPhone. So I thought I’d post this solution for others that might want to do it.

The first thing you need to do is set your non-MobileMe email address to auto-forward to your MobileMe account.

Then create a new (or amend your existing) ‘normal’ MobileMe Mail account on your iPhone as usual, then – leaving the Contacts and Calendar (& Bookmark if you like) sync settings ON – turn the turn the Mail sync to OFF. You have to do this because only a properly setup MobileMe Mail account will sync Contacts/Calendar/Bookmarks – but you won’t use it for email. In fact it won’t even show up in your Mail Account list.

Then create ANOTHER email account on your iPhone, and make sure you set this one up as an Other Account (NOT as a MobileMe account), selecting IMAP as the type of account. Enter your name as normal and in the ‘Address’ field enter the ‘Reply To’ email address: this is the email address that will show in your recipients’ emails as the "From" email, even though you're using your MobileMe account.

For your mail server settings, use your MobileMe settings:
• Incoming settings:
o Host Name: mail.me.com
o User Name: MobileMe username
o Password: MobileMe password

• Outgoing Settings (for the moment enter this):
o Host Name: smtp.me.com
o User Name: MobileMe username
o Password: MobileMe password

• Advanced:
o Use SSL – On
o Authentication – Password
o Server Port – 587

This set up won’t work yet; if you try and send an email you’ll get an error message telling you that the “smtp.me.com server cannot be reached”; but I found it would effectively let me change the outgoing SMTP server after setup.

So now go to into the Mail settings for the new account and scroll down to and select Outgoing Mail Server. Select the Primary Server entry (currently set to smtp.me.com, and turn it OFF. Depending on your setup and how you have synced you might have a number of other handy SMTP servers in the Other SMTP Servers list – try one of them. If none of them work, and you can select more than one, or you don’t have any – you may have to set up another SMTP account with e.g. AuthSMTP.

Now you are able to receive 'push' email from your non-MobileMe account, and reply without visibly using the @me.com address.

Find the original thread here (if it still exists by the time you read this) http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2239004

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.