Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
hi, simple poll... I turn off my mac pro every night... wake up every morning, if I let always turn on can be get some problem? basically the questions is how much time is recommendable use the mac pro without turn off? :confused:

thanks

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
i never turn my computers off. (G5, and G4 QS).

it was explained to me like this, true or not-
turning on/off the computer is like bending a paper clip back and forth,
after a while the circuits get hot and brittle and can break easier.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
mine usually runs 24/7, doesnt effect energy consumption much either way.
I believe the PSU is capable of handling the long usage, i mean the system is practically server grade' meaning always on mode - and its more than capable of handling that.

the fact that it draws more energy on every power on and cold boots, unless theyre infrequent cause heavy impedence on the system ... though theyre able to handle it otherwise it would be clearly noted "DO NOT TURN MACHINE OFF/ON EVERY SO OFTEN ETC ETC"

the technology is so advanced now, its safe to leave them running.
you may benefit from just putting it into sleep mode then pressing a key to wake it up, generally gives the hardware and circuitry a flux power draw and doesnt stress it too much.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I only power it off if I'll be away from it for more than a day or two. Otherwise I just sleep it every night.

Sandock

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
Calgary, Canada
I used to just put it to sleep overnight, but I experienced some issues with OSX dumping the tablet driver on wake up, causing it to crash. I have regularly turned it off at night ever since.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
If it's going to be idle during the night I suspend (same when I go to work), it wakes up at 8am. It's only ever switched off if I need to move it, or if I'm going to be away for a few days.

Sometimes I have my Mac Pro running 24/7 for a few months at a time with high processor usage. Mostly doing batch video conversions.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Off at night, I guess I don't want it accidentally waking at night, and waking me up at the same time.

kahine

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
The off/on thing being bad/good really went away by the late 90's - before that you could make a case for the circuit cooling/heating thing was bad over time , but honestly I've probably been around over a hundred thousand workstations and servers ranging from Dell to IBM to crap whiteboxes between all our clients and it really makes no difference now

Some turn their machines off every night and theres really zero difference in fail rate than those who leave them on all 24/7 - its more of a power saving issue and personal preference nowadays , if you look at articles in the past several years most all will tell you its not going to make much of a difference as to being good/bad for your computer anymore

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Turn mine off. When I put it to sleep I always come back to a woke up mac. It does not stay asleep. Too busy to troubleshoot.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
I often run a high-resolution weather model that can take 2 weeks - month to complete a run. So.... no turning off for me usually.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
What is this "off" you speak of. I haven't turned off a machine of mine in years. I just let it go to sleep and be done with it. I will turn them off if I am going to be gone for a few days but that is about the only time.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
its a shame that can works the modem connection and put sleep... you know for put sleep in night and let torrents downloading...

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I find it really shocking that so many people don't turn their machines off. What a waste of electricity. The Mac Pro uses at least 200 watts just sitting there idle. Would you leave a 200 watt light bulb on 24 / 7 for no reason? That just doesn't make good sense.

I've got my set to sleep at 15 minutes, and I always sleep it manually if I'm going to step away for a while.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
I find it really shocking that so many people don't turn their machines off. What a waste of electricity. The Mac Pro uses at least 200 watts just sitting there idle. Would you leave a 200 watt light bulb on 24 / 7 for no reason? That just doesn't make good sense.

I've got my set to sleep at 15 minutes, and I always sleep it manually if I'm going to step away for a while.

It's not like energy is expensive or anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.