Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 20, 2008, 01:36 PM   #1
dethklok7
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
iPhone's "other" in iTunes

Question out of curiosity. In itunes when it shows you how much space you've used up in your iphone with music/photos/ect it also lists other. What is exactly that other? Could it possibly be cydia and installer or is it something else?
dethklok7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:36 AM   #2
vivithemage
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Exclamation what is other in itunes? On my iphone 1st generation

I have 200-250MB of OTHER in my itunes when I look up my iphone first generation.

My friend also has 300-350mb of other...

Both of our phones are jailbroken/unlocked.

Is it saved games or something?
vivithemage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Warbrain
macrumors 603
 
Warbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
I have 200-250MB of OTHER in my itunes when I look up my iphone first generation.

My friend also has 300-350mb of other...

Both of our phones are jailbroken/unlocked.

Is it saved games or something?
Other is filesystem, jailbrake data...
__________________
WARBRAIN
Twitter | Blog
Warbrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:38 AM   #4
mgpg89
macrumors 6502a
 
mgpg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
I have 200-250MB of OTHER in my itunes when I look up my iphone first generation.

My friend also has 300-350mb of other...

Both of our phones are jailbroken/unlocked.

Is it saved games or something?
Yes.

Anything from application (non-iTunes apps), saved games, stored files (using OpenSSH for example) etc ...

Anything that takes up space and can not be recognized by iTunes, shows up as 'other'.
mgpg89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:03 PM   #5
MBX
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
"Other" (Taking up space)

Hi there

what exactly is "other" on the iphone disk?

It's taking up like 520mb on my 8gb iphone and i already had to delete some albums and other things to gain space and now again it increased and now have "zero" free space left.

Is it some sort of temporary cache? Any way to flush it?
MBX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:04 PM   #6
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
Other includes all the data saved by installed applications. Have you got any apps installed that might save large amounts of local data?
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:09 PM   #7
Bowlerguy10
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: At my computer
Send a message via AIM to Bowlerguy10
It's also things like album metadata and artwork!
__________________
Yay my signature wins!
Bowlerguy10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Guiyon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Shore, MA
IIRC, the "Other" also includes the operating system for the iPhone. Not exactly something you want to nuke...
__________________
Make life easier if you have a programming question!
http://www.sscce.org/
Guiyon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:42 PM   #9
JPIndustrie
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Are you jailbroken with JB'ed apps? I think part of the 'other' are the JB programs and their associated files too. Correct me if I'm wrong.
JPIndustrie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 03:36 PM   #10
RogueVasion
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: MA/CT
"Other" taking up 3GB, what is "Other"?

I have asked the same thing, haha. I have like 3GB of mysterious space.

EDIT: My thread was moved here...kind of flabbergasted me at first, haha.

I have a 16GB White iPhone 3G, and it has 14.64GB of space when you get it of course. But, when I plug it into iTunes, it says there is 2.96GB of space used (named Other). I only have 483 songs, 12 photos, and 44 apps which takes up a total space of not even 3.5GB

Would anyone have an idea on what this is? I did jailbreak my iPhone a while back, but I brought it back to its vanilla state (if that makes a difference).

__________________
(8GB / iPhone 3G / Black)
(16GB / iPhone 3G / White)
(15.4" / 2.5GHz C2D / 2GB RAM / 250GB HDD / Macbook Pro)

Last edited by RogueVasion; May 12, 2009 at 03:42 PM.
RogueVasion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 03:42 PM   #11
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus
 
mkrishnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueVasion View Post
I have asked the same thing, haha. I have like 3GB of mysterious space.

EDIT: How did my post end up in here...weird.
Please search to find existing threads on a topic before posting a new one. Posts that repeat existing threads will generally be merged where possible.

In your case, that's pretty extreme. I don't think there are many apps that could account for that kind of space. You might want to consider restoring your firmware (which sometimes help drive down the Other space if there's stuff that shouldn't be in there).
__________________
Mira C. Krishnan
mkrishnan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:32 AM   #12
jshepherd2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
iPhone 3GS

I just got a 3GS and look at my other. Whats the point of having 32GBs when almost half is used by hidden things?
jshepherd2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:08 PM   #13
acmeplus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
This is clearly a 3.0 bug. I added today about 8GB of music to the iphone, and now this "Audio" space has mysteriously transformed into "Other". The music is completely gone from the iphone, so I believe the internal database is corrupted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	260
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	178142

Note: This is with a 3G 16GB
acmeplus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 01:12 AM   #14
iChickan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmeplus View Post
This is clearly a 3.0 bug. I added today about 8GB of music to the iphone, and now this "Audio" space has mysteriously transformed into "Other". The music is completely gone from the iphone, so I believe the internal database is corrupted.

Attachment 178142

Note: This is with a 3G 16GB

My beloved 16gb iPhone has 11.3 gb of the available 14 allocated to other which I cannot delete. This is approximately the size of my iTunes library before it "dissappeared" so I am assuming that acmeplus is spot on and the database has corrupted.

Restoring my iPhone back to basics and resynching fixed me up perfectly...except for a minor loss of application data
iChickan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:39 PM   #15
Xellos
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I found the solution to this for me was going into the Media folder within iPhone and deleting the files located in /Photos/Thumbs/ and then resyncing. In my case it was storing over 3 GB of picture information when there was much less than that in pictures.
Xellos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 05:32 AM   #16
EugeneSA
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Africa
A portion of it appears to be corrupted sync files i.e. music, photo's etc due to a connection break while syncing. Restore
EugeneSA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:00 PM   #17
Sandy B
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Question "Other" questions

My phone keeps telling me it's out of space. Since I don't have that much stored, it seems unreasonable. I note that my "other" space is huge. I would expect that my audio is the stuff I have in itunes, and I recognize my apps space, but I can't put photos in because of space problems. Does anyone know what exactly is in the "other" file? How do I get rid of it? Would a fairly large address book be the reason my space is so limited?
Sandy B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:30 PM   #18
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy B View Post
My phone keeps telling me it's out of space. Since I don't have that much stored, it seems unreasonable. I note that my "other" space is huge. I would expect that my audio is the stuff I have in itunes, and I recognize my apps space, but I can't put photos in because of space problems. Does anyone know what exactly is in the "other" file? How do I get rid of it? Would a fairly large address book be the reason my space is so limited?
Did you read the rest of this thread and the other threads on "other?"

First, NO, an address book would have nothing to do with this.

You're "other" is probably music or photos that didn't sync properly. You can try rebooting your phone (press home and power buttons until phone turns off and then resyncing. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest restoring in DFU mode and either restoring from a backup or restoring as new and resyncing, if the backup doesn't work.
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:42 PM   #19
Sandy B
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Smile "Other" questions

Thanks Aggie
I did a restore and now I have tons more space on my phone. Just a little bit of "other" there now. The programs work faster too.
Sandy B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 07:47 PM   #20
betyar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Solved the Corrupted "Other" issue:

This is indeed a disconnect during sync and it is your iTunes music library that has been corrupted. If your phone is Jailbroken, you can SSH into it and manually remove your music from your iPhone and re-sync to dump it back on later. No need for a system restore.

If your iPhone isn't jailbroken, you are **** out of luck! You may as well jailbreak while your restoring everything, at least you'll have better luck next time this bug manifests its ugly head.



Quote:
Originally Posted by acmeplus View Post
This is clearly a 3.0 bug. I added today about 8GB of music to the iphone, and now this "Audio" space has mysteriously transformed into "Other". The music is completely gone from the iphone, so I believe the internal database is corrupted.

Attachment 178142

Note: This is with a 3G 16GB
betyar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 08:11 AM   #21
mac692
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Step by step to delete music files?

Betyar, thanks for the Tip! Can you provide a step by step to delete your iTunes music using ssh or terminal? Thanks again
mac692 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:17 PM   #22
betyar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Here's the Hierarchy...

The absolute easiest way to do this is using iFuntastic's 'File Manager'... Follow this path:

/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music/

You will see a bunch of numbered folders. Delete all of them, reboot your device and re-sync with iTunes. DO NOT RESTORE YOUR DEVICE!

Voila, the growing "other" and disappearing iTunes library bug solved - without a restore.


Hope that helps.






Quote:
Originally Posted by mac692 View Post
Betyar, thanks for the Tip! Can you provide a step by step to delete your iTunes music using ssh or terminal? Thanks again
betyar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 01:43 AM   #23
pliundemix
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by betyar View Post
The absolute easiest way to do this is using iFuntastic's 'File Manager'... Follow this path:

/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music/

You will see a bunch of numbered folders. Delete all of them, reboot your device and re-sync with iTunes. DO NOT RESTORE YOUR DEVICE!

Voila, the growing "other" and disappearing iTunes library bug solved - without a restore.


Hope that helps.
DUDE something went wrong I deleted these files you said and other was gone in my itunes....I have the audio, image and apps...but I went into my iphone and tried playing a song and it didn't play it..it just kicked me back to the song list whenever I touch play on a song...My music is showing up...and also in itunes but I can't play it...what is wrong??what should I do??

thanks!

Last edited by pliundemix; May 13, 2010 at 02:14 AM.
pliundemix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 11:40 PM   #24
betyar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
That nasty bug

pliundemix, Sorry to hear about your problem. That solution has worked for me in the past, without a hitch.

I would suggest re-boot via a hard reset and check again. If that doesn't work, re-sync... then check again.

Keep in mind, the expanding 'other' is your iTunes database that is corrupted, so you need to re-sync after the delete. Try again, and please keep me posted.

Best of luck.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pliundemix View Post
DUDE something went wrong I deleted these files you said and other was gone in my itunes....I have the audio, image and apps...but I went into my iphone and tried playing a song and it didn't play it..it just kicked me back to the song list whenever I touch play on a song...My music is showing up...and also in itunes but I can't play it...what is wrong??what should I do??

thanks!
betyar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 01:41 AM   #25
pliundemix
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by betyar View Post
pliundemix, Sorry to hear about your problem. That solution has worked for me in the past, without a hitch.

I would suggest re-boot via a hard reset and check again. If that doesn't work, re-sync... then check again.

Keep in mind, the expanding 'other' is your iTunes database that is corrupted, so you need to re-sync after the delete. Try again, and please keep me posted.

Best of luck.
How do I make a "hard reset"??? Please help me cause this "other" won't go...just grows...
pliundemix is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIG new iTunes 11.1 feature- "Other" turned into "Documents and Data" sflomenb Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Sep 18, 2013 06:57 PM
iTunes "Restore from Backup" only has 1 choice even though "Devices" Tab lists many Maverick1337 iPhone 0 Sep 5, 2013 08:43 AM
Help! "iTunes could not back up the iPhone "iPhone" because an error occurred." cooky94 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Apr 14, 2013 06:35 PM
iTunes "Purchased" tab w/ "Not on my iPhone" Nikhil72 iOS 6 2 Oct 3, 2012 07:41 AM
Start a new tab similar to "iOS blog" and "Mac blog" but make it "IPhone Leaks?" Dewroo Site and Forum Feedback 2 Aug 23, 2012 09:47 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC