Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Now that the official Skype app for the iphone is out, has anyone managed to make it work with the VoIPover3G hack?

first, I don't know the app bundle identifier.. I thought it was com.skype.skype but that one doesn't work.

thanks!! :)

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Doesn't work with my JB 3G iPhone, but hopefully there's a fix in the works. I hooked up the War Department's 3G iPhone and it works just fine. I couldn't even get past the login on my JB 3G iPhone. I removed Clippy like some MR members mentioned, but it still didn't work for me....:(:eek:

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
i have a jailbroken 3G iphone running 2.2.1 fw. so skype is in the appstore, but from what i have read in this post, is that if i get skype from the appstore it will crash, is that correct?

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
i have a jailbroken 3G iphone running 2.2.1 fw. so skype is in the appstore, but from what i have read in this post, is that if i get skype from the appstore it will crash, is that correct?

If you did actually read, there's an update for mobilesubstrate in Cydia that will allow it to work.

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
I imagine there will be an update to this seeing as how Skype will become a default, or at least I hope.

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
in cydia search for voip, iforget the whole string. its like voipover3g or something. you install it but it needs to be editted to allow skype to work, well thats what it says from the info on the file. i dont feel confident editting a file so im just going to wait.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
in cydia search for voip, iforget the whole string. its like voipover3g or something. you install it but it needs to be editted to allow skype to work, well thats what it says from the info on the file. i dont feel confident editting a file so im just going to wait.

I assume you're talking about editing the plist file here. If so, I've tried that several times and it's not working.

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008

when you say you are going to wait, would there possibly be an updated version of voipover3g, and i am just wondering would there have to be an update of, mobilesubstrate, from what i have heard the new update of mobilesubstrate just disables mobilesubstrate when skype runs, so things like backgrounder and voipover3g wouldn't work with skype.

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
saurik just released a new mobile substrate that enables backgrounder and voipover3g etc. MobileSubstrate 0.9.2805-1 now fully supports Skype's DRM.

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
saurik just released a new mobile substrate that enables backgrounder and voipover3g etc. MobileSubstrate 0.9.2805-1 now fully supports Skype's DRM.
Cheers for the info.
Now my Skype works over 3G. :)

EDIT: nope... now it crashes again for me after 1 minute. :(
Had to downgrade back to mobilesubstrate_0.9.2803-1

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
the newest mobile substrate fixes the problem.....yesterday it didn't work....today, there was another mobile substrate update....and now it works over 3G.

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
i have heard mixied reviews about the new mobilesubstrate can anyone confirm if skype crashes or not with the latest mobilesubstrate, and also if 3g now works with skype, with the latest mobilesubstrate? also is there anything i would need to do to get 3g to work with skype? any help would be appreciated.

Snoopy67

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
I've been using truphone for almost a year now - works like a charm, and quite inexpensive, too.

IMHO, skype only has an advantage, if you want to call another skype end, and have free / flat wifi.

Regards,
Gabriel.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
i have heard mixied reviews about the new mobilesubstrate can anyone confirm if skype crashes or not with the latest mobilesubstrate, and also if 3g now works with skype, with the latest mobilesubstrate? also is there anything i would need to do to get 3g to work with skype? any help would be appreciated.

I can confirm that Skype is fully working with the latest version of Mobile Substrate.

bier-meister

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
I have it fully working now with voipover3g, however when I try to make a call I get a called failed message. Same call works fine over wi-fi. Maybe t-mobile is blocking it on their side, would that be possible?

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I can confirm that Skype is fully working with the latest version of Mobile Substrate.

Did you have to do anything else other than update the mobilesubstrate and edit the VoIPover3G.plist to add the "com.skype.skype" identifier? Do you still need to use intelliscreen or anything else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.