Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I have it fully working now with voipover3g, however when I try to make a call I get a called failed message. Same call works fine over wi-fi. Maybe t-mobile is blocking it on their side, would that be possible?

Make sure you are typing a 1 before the area code (for example, +1555-555-1212). I was getting the call failed message myself until I realized you have to put a 1 in front of the area code. It's really annoying too because none of my contacts' numbers have a 1 before the area code in my contacts app. Hopefully they come up with a solution to that problem.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
Did you have to do anything else other than update the mobilesubstrate and edit the VoIPover3G.plist to add the "com.skype.skype" identifier? Do you still need to use intelliscreen or anything else?

In a word, no.

I installed VoIPover3G; edited the VoIPover3G.plist - now Skype calls work on my original iPhone on EDGE.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
In a word, no.

I installed VoIPover3G; edited the VoIPover3G.plist - now Skype calls work on my original iPhone on EDGE.

Thanks - I wanted to make sure before I updated my mobilesubstrate and removed intelliscreen. I now have it working over 3G and Edge as well. Now if they can just make it so that I can use my bluetooth headset when I'm on a call I'll be happy. They also need to figure out a way to let you dial using just the "+" sign plus the 10 digit number.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
One other thing. Anyone else noticing that while on a Skype call SBSettings keeps popping up? I think it's because the screen doesn't turn off when you put your phone to your ear like it does in the native phone app. They need to fix that too.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
One other thing. Anyone else noticing that while on a Skype call SBSettings keeps popping up? I think it's because the screen doesn't turn off when you put your phone to your ear like it does in the native phone app. They need to fix that too.

Mine went off when I put it to my ear :confused:

bgalm

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
I can confirm as well that adding "com.skype.skype" to the VoIPover3G plist file does in fact allow calls over 3G. And I'm in Canada (Rogers) for all you Canadians :)

In case you forgot the folder where the plist is located: "/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/VoIPover3G.plist"

Attachments

• IMG_0010.PNG
    IMG_0010.PNG
    22.5 KB · Views: 63

bier-meister

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
Make sure you are typing a 1 before the area code (for example, +1555-555-1212). I was getting the call failed message myself until I realized you have to put a 1 in front of the area code. It's really annoying too because none of my contacts' numbers have a 1 before the area code in my contacts app. Hopefully they come up with a solution to that problem.

I'm beginning to think t-mobile (germany) have it blocked on their side. I get a called failed when trying to call the test bot over edge but it works fine over wi-fi.

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
I have it fully working now with voipover3g, however when I try to make a call I get a called failed message. Same call works fine over wi-fi. Maybe t-mobile is blocking it on their side, would that be possible?

did you dial a one before the number? i think in your contacts skype doesen't put a 1 before the number. i don't know if that is your problem. also, for anyone interested, i heard there is an update to voipover3g in cydia, so you don't have to manually edit the plist file to use skype over 3g.

DaveTo

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
In Toronto, Canada here... on Rogers' network and I went into Cydia today and noticed 2 new updates 1 for VoIPover3G and one for MobileSubstrate (after I already patched it yesterday).

I fired up Skype and it worked without having to change any files. The makers of VoIPover3G probably modified it for the masses.

Skype is great, I just hope Rogers doesnt reign in on our fun (as they have been known to do) and block these types of connections.

I can confirm as well that adding "com.skype.skype" to the VoIPover3G plist file does in fact allow calls over 3G. And I'm in Canada (Rogers) for all you Canadians :)

In case you forgot the folder where the plist is located: "/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/VoIPover3G.plist"

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I followed all the instructions, and while I can now start the call over Skype, a second into the call, my phone dumps me to EDGE, and drops the call. Anyone else experience this?

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Can anyone who is using Skype on an iphone with SBSettings installed tell me if SBSettings is constantly popping up when you're on a Skype call with the phone to your ear (not on speakerphone)?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Can anyone who is using Skype on an iphone with SBSettings installed tell me if SBSettings is constantly popping up when you're on a Skype call with the phone to your ear (not on speakerphone)?

Not that I've noticed. My screen goes black when I use it to my ear...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Do you put it to your ear as soon as you place the call? My screen definitely does not go black right away.

Checking now....

Right. While it says "Routing Call," the screen doesn't go black. As soon as it connects, it will go black. BUT, it won't EVER go black if you put the phone to your ear WHILE it says "Routing Call." If you do, you need to remove the phone from your ear, and then put it back, to "reset" the light sensor. Try it with your hand (by covering the sensor with your fingers). You'll see. So just wait till it connects properly before actually putting the phone to your ear. I bet that's your problem with bringing up the SBS app by mistake.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Checking now....

Right. While it says "Routing Call," the screen doesn't go black. As soon as it connects, it will go black. BUT, it won't EVER go black if you put the phone to your ear WHILE it says "Routing Call." If you do, you need to remove the phone from your ear, and then put it back, to "reset" the light sensor. Try it with your hand (by covering the sensor with your fingers). You'll see. So just wait till it connects properly before actually putting the phone to your ear. I bet that's your problem with bringing up the SBS app by mistake.

Looks like you're right. I don't know why the Skype app behaves this way - when you're using the stock phone app the screen goes black as soon as you put the phone to your face. They need to fix the Skype app so that it works the same way as the stock phone app - there's no reason we should have to wait until the call connects before we can put the phone to our ear.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Looks like you're right. I don't know why the Skype app behaves this way - when you're using the stock phone app the screen goes black as soon as you put the phone to your face. They need to fix the Skype app so that it works the same way as the stock phone app - there's no reason we should have to wait until the call connects before we can put the phone to our ear.

Agreed. Welcome to the world of buggy software. :)

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
For those who are having problems with Skype, Fring works with VoIPover3G,
although the call quality might not be good as Skype (when it actually works).

equlizer

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
I cant do anything with Skype. Does it have anything to do with only running firmware 2.0 jailbroken? It will start then freeze right away :(

forum user

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
There is an article on the Cydia home screen where Saurik explains about Skype and MobileSubstrate. In simple words you need to install the correct version of MobileSubstrate to stop Skype from freezing

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I cant do anything with Skype. Does it have anything to do with only running firmware 2.0 jailbroken? It will start then freeze right away :(

I don't know for sure but I definitely think you should upgrade to 2.2.1 anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.