Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:15 AM   #1
stephenxiii
macrumors regular

Remote Desktop Connection Help!

Rite as by the title i'm trying Remote Desktop Connection
to connect from my Mac to Pc.
How do i go about doing this?
i have my pc's name kieran-pc\kieran , when i place this in the field on my mac's RDC it says failed.

Any ideas
stephenxiii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:47 AM   #2
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
hmmm ive never successfully connected to a PC from my Mac, even thought i have tried multiple times.

your best bet would be to install a VNC server on your PC (i use VNC Viewer), then in the Finder go to "Go" (the menu bar), then "Connect to Server". a new window will pop up.

you can then type "vnc://IPADDRESS OF PC" without the quotations and it will go.
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:03 AM   #3
steve-p
macrumors 68000

No need for VNC, this works fine for me:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...p/default.mspx

Your machine name seems a bit strange, I wouldn't expect to see slashes in it. Start a command prompt on the PC and run 'hostname' and it will give you its name.
steve-p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:28 AM   #4
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
also, i guess you should ensure that you have enabled remote support first lol! (right click my computer->properties etcetc)
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:42 AM   #5
steve-p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
also, i guess you should ensure that you have enabled remote support first lol! (right click my computer->properties etcetc)
Good point - I forgot the most basic step
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:50 AM   #6
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p View Post
Good point - I forgot the most basic step
haha we both did! sometimes its the most basic of things that is causing the problems
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:58 AM   #7
stephenxiii
macrumors regular

thanks for that guys,
just one more thing do i need to have name to connect to my mac
or is it just the pc name i need.
stephenxiii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:06 AM   #8
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenxiii View Post
thanks for that guys,
just one more thing do i need to have name to connect to my mac
or is it just the pc name i need.
the PC name should be sufficient, you may need the PC admin name/password to log-in depending on the settings you use but i cant remember for sure.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 09:02 AM   #9
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p View Post
Your machine name seems a bit strange, I wouldn't expect to see slashes in it. Start a command prompt on the PC and run 'hostname' and it will give you its name.
That's a qualified account name not a machine name. The part before the backslash is the machine or domain where the account is kept and after the backslash is the account name. In unix speak that would be like kieran@kieran-pc.

http://cord.sourceforge.net/ does some things better than the Microsoft client and is an alternative, but the Microsoft RDC is good too.

And for anyone who doesn't already know, remote desktop is not supported on Windows Home versions, only Professional or Ultimate. On Home Premium, you will need VNC or some other third-party software.

In general, once it has been enabled, anyone with administrative rights, also automatically has remote login rights, but you can give remote rights to non-admins as well.

B
Old Nov 19, 2009, 09:49 AM   #10
steve-p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
That's a qualified account name not a machine name. The part before the backslash is the machine or domain where the account is kept and after the backslash is the account name. In unix speak that would be like kieran@kieran-pc.
I just assumed it didn't accept qualified names since there are specific settings in the MS RDP client for username and password. Maybe it does though.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:06 PM   #11
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

I have been using remote login to machine sharing up it's driver for several years now but what I have found is that since I don't have a real server up anywhere on my network I have to remote login using only IP addresses; otherwise the lookup fails every time.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac