Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Hi Guys,

I was wondering If its possible to install OSX Tiger using Parallels? I'm currently running Snow Leopard 10.6.2, but there are some things that I liked about OSX Tiger, and I was wondering if Parallels or VMWare fusion allows you to install Tiger? I just wanted to test it out and see if I like it.. instead of formatting and installing etc..

anyone know?

appreciate your help! :]

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Let me help you here - if you have a Mac that shipped post-Tiger (i.e. loaded at factory with Leopard), you will not be able to run Tiger on it. Apple doesn't look back.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its basically illegal (against the EULA) to run OSX in a virtual environment, and technically speaking you can only run intel based OSs in a virtual environment. That means Tiger (retail disks are PPC AFAIK) will not work. Restore disks are such that they won't work as well.

Either way, technically and legally you cannot run 10.4 in parallels.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Ah ic, that sucks =/.. Oh well, thanks everyone for your time and replies :]

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Let me add the simple fact that where there's a will there's a way...

There seems to be a VMware Tiger VM floating round dah webb.

Maybe Parallels can import it.... not sure.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Let me add the simple fact that where there's a will there's a way...

There seems to be a VMware Tiger VM floating round dah webb.

Maybe Parallels can import it.... not sure.

Awesome, thanks I will give it ago :]

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
I couldn't get it to work unfortunately, I think it may because I've got an i5 processor.. It gave some errors

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I have Tiger running in VirtualBox on a Mac using Skylake i7 processor using the instructions at
https://github.com/ranma42/TigerOnVBox
Basically the instructions override some CPUID information so the kernel will boot.

My Tiger came from a partition on my Mac Pro 2008 which I copied using Disk Utility.app to a dmg that is formatted as GPT with one partition. So I didn't have to go through the install steps.

Code:
VBoxManage convertfromraw "/Volumes/FreeBig/DiskImages/Tiger.dmg" "/Volumes/FreeBig/DiskImages/Tiger.vmdk" --format VMDK

thevm="Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger"
VBoxManage modifyvm "$thevm" --mouse usb
VBoxManage modifyvm "$thevm" --firmware efi
VBoxManage modifyvm "$thevm" --cpu-profile 'Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz'
VBoxManage modifyvm "$thevm" --cpuidset 00000000 00000004 756e6547 6c65746e 49656e69
VBoxManage modifyvm "$thevm" --cpuidset 00000001 00000f43 00020800 fbffffff ffffffff
VBoxManage modifyvm "$thevm" --cpuidset 80000001 00000000 00000000 ffffffff ffffffff
VBoxManage setextradata "$thevm" VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBIOSVersion EFI32..Virtual.Box
VBoxManage setextradata "$thevm" VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiUseHostInfo 0
VBoxManage setextradata "$thevm" VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC 1
VBoxManage setextradata "$thevm" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1920x1200

For VMware, that can be translated using the instructions at:
https://github.com/ranma42/TigerOnVBox/issues/19

What I would like to do is run Tiger using Parallels because I think it would be faster.

I have a script that can create a Parallels .hdd that points to the dmg. I suppose there's a way to make a VirtualBox disk also point to the .dmg. I suppose it would be similar to the format created by this command:
Code:
sudo VBoxManage createmedium disk --filename Lion-raw1.vmdk --format=VMDK --variant RawDisk --property RawDrive=/dev/disk7 --property Partitions=1,13,14
That command makes a disk that points to a partition - but it won't work unless you run VirtualBox as root? I have a script to do the same for Parallels using the Boot Camp method, but Parallels only allows NTFS and FAT partitions to be used that way?

I mount the 10.4 Tiger dmg in the Finder and add three files so Parallels will believe it's a Server version (also works for 10.6 Snow Leopard and 10.5 Leopard).
Code:
thevolume="/Volumes/Tiger 1"
echo '/bin/rm /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist' >> "${thevolume}/etc/rc.local"
echo '/bin/cp /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist' >> "${thevolume}/etc/rc.shutdown.local"
cp "${thevolume}/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist" "${thevolume}/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist"
References:
https://ivanexpert.com/2020/06/snow-leopard-in-parallels-desktop/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/issues-with-patcher.2384359/post-32055967

Parallels loads the kernel which quickly shows some panic text.

I don't know if Parallels has a method to alter the CPUID so that Tiger can boot, so my next idea would be to try to boot using OpenCore to patch and load the kernel.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.