Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Watches you buy at the mall tell time, but may also have multi-time-zone clocks, stopwatches, alarms, calculators, databases, TV remotes, and other goodies builtin. Fancier watches can do even more, but are less common.

Watches are a piece of consumer hardware with a lot of software built in. Not quite a hand-held device, but pretty close to it. A market that's rarely exciting or newsworthy. Almost everyone wants one, giving a small thought to style and function, and then forgetting about it as it travels around on your wrist. Watches are not thought of as something that would appear on newsmagazine covers or get much attention in popular culture.

But... what if Apple designers got involved and Apple entered this market? What would Apple styling produce? What killer app would Apple come up with? What would make everyone (or YOU specifically) run out and replace their current wristwatch with the new AppleWatch?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Good question. There have been some Apple promotional watches, like a Think Different watch I have that turns anti-clockwise. Does anyone at Apple have a hand in designing these things? I have no idea.

[edit: and duh, the obvious occurs to me later; I hardly wear a watch lately because it's redundant with the iPod's menu clock.]

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I would be interested to see what Apple would design as a watch. Just like the iPod, I would take a look. At this point don't think I would have a use for anything more than just a regular watch. It seems that cell phones, iPod, & PDA already have the needed functions.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Wristwatches are definitely one of the products where less is more...I mean gizmo watches with hundreds of buttons are just so 80's!! :p

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I have to agree on watches less is more for the most part. There are times when a few extra gizmos in it are helpful. For the most part I choose a watch based on how well it stands up to the adbuse I give watches.

I like timex watches because they last about a year before I break them (30 bucks for 1 year is not bad for me).

Currently my main watch is a Gshock watch and it lasted me about over 2 years and I just had to replace the bands so far. It going ot need a new bat soon but for 100 bucks and it is still going strong haver 2 years I think it good

That reminds me I need to get my citzen watch fix I do need a formal watch for some stuff (something a apple watch just wouldn ot look right for so that one does not count there)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Was meant to be a mock up for an Apple branded mobile phone but thought some of you might like it!

Attachments

• iphone.jpg
    iphone.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 461

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
If Apple made a watch, it would run a stripped down version of OS X, have BlueTooth, 802.11g, be able to tell time in all 24 time zones - simultaneously (and some times zones on the moon), be used as a wireless mouse, and have a spring loaded contraption that shoots out of the wrist band to clean your butt.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
Apple should definately team up with Swatch, the Swiss designer fashion watch maker. At the very least, Apple should let Swatch design a handful of new watch designs, coordinating with the various Apple computer models.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I'm sure that when Apple reads this post everyone there will be like "Hey, let's make a watch to prove him wrong yet again." Not to mention (though I'm mentioning it anyways) I think Apple already made a watch, or at least had watches made with their logo. I'm not too sure, watches belong in the clothing section, not really the media section...we did have that limited edition $499 iPod music jacket, so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple puts out a limited edition watch for maybe $70.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
munkle said:
Was meant to be a mock up for an Apple branded mobile phone but thought some of you might like it!
Pretty cool - too small to ever be a mobile phone (at least in the near future), but a nice watch/iPod remote!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If we can't think of a killer app for the AppleWatch, we could suggest something simpler. Our AppleWatches might as well control our iPods and also iTunes on our Macs, so we don't have to bother using other gadgets for that.

I wonder if people who use dual monitors on their Macs would also be the ones to wear an AppleWatch on each wrist?

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
what a horrible, horrible idea.

my cellphone tells time.

my ipod tells time.

my powerbook tells time.

the guy sitting next to me tells time.

why would i want to wear a watch? this is the year 2004 is it not?

the only watch i would ever wear (if i wore jewelry) would be a nice rolex (or other top tier brand) for dress occasions, but then i'd want a pocket watch (far classier).

mattroberts

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Canada
BrianKonarsMac said:
the only watch i would ever wear (if i wore jewelry) would be a nice rolex (or other top tier brand) for dress occasions, .

Believe me if apple decided to produce their own watch (not a branded one like they've done before)it would be a top tier watch. (plus i own a rolex and an omega- Rolex is not a all that great)

cheers
m

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
WOW, holy crap batman,

What an awesome concept... You see I am a pilot, ergo.. I love watches and gadgets (my current watch http://www.yeswatch.com )

And yes it is true, the bigger the watch the smaller the......!

I would jump on a panther/tiger chronograph with BT/GPS/MP3/CDMA/802.11g compatable with BT trackball/ring that I could wear upside down in the palm of my hand and be able to thumb through the web. Oh yea and a compass in the stock!

The real question is can I get changable wristbands, but not in fruit. And can I get a spandex "Apple Man" superhero outfit too!!

Kidding aside I would have one in a heartbeat!

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
mattroberts said:
Believe me if apple decided to produce their own watch (not a branded one like they've done before)it would be a top tier watch. (plus i own a rolex and an omega- Rolex is not a all that great)

cheers
m

I too own a Rolex and an Omega. I love my Omega, but I really love my Rolex. Why do you say that the Rolex is not all that great? I know we all have our opinions about watches, and that it is personal preference, but sounds like you have had a bad experience? What happened. Both my Seamaster and my GMT master are wonderful.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
The only possible drawback to Apple making a wristwatch would be that it would probably run so hot that it would burn your wrist :D

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I too own an Omega (speedmaster), and plethera of watches, didn't buy the Rolex.. too predictable. Went ..."different".

Apple design, much like Bang & Olfsen, and a handful of others, would pump out an instant classic. I appreciate B&O in the same way as Apple, and they have branched out of traditional stereo to the likes of Telephones.

An Apple car, phone, watch, computer, & dawg would fit wonderfully in my "different" world

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I wonder if people who use dual monitors on their Macs would also be the ones to wear an AppleWatch on each wrist?
Doctor Q, you're driving me up a wall, man, who are you asking? Still, from geek to geek, we both know who would use and wear one of those tech watches. It would light up in blue, use a high resolution, have a mini-bluetooth module, and would use the font Myriad Pro. (Though I can do without dual monitors.) But one thing I know about most of Apple's older products: Most of the hardware that gets discontinued doesn't come back to life.

Applexilef

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
iMeowbot said:
Good question. There have been some Apple promotional watches, like a Think Different watch I have that turns anti-clockwise. Does anyone at Apple have a hand in designing these things? I have no idea.

I have one of those watches that goes "counterclockwise", but now you're telling me that Apple has one that goes "Anti-clockwise". I have to get one of those! :D :D :p

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Applexilef said:
I have one of those watches that goes "counterclockwise", but now you're telling me that Apple has one that goes "Anti-clockwise". I have to get one of those! :D :D :p
They're both acceptable, so is contraclockwise :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.