Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
USA
I just got my 13" MacBook Pro back from being repaired (apple replaced the display and the logic board), and now it is running at 83 degrees C (according to iStat Pro) and the fans are only at 2000rpm. Is that normal? My computer never used to be this hot. I can't even hear the fans running.

Thanks

PS Can I still call apple free of charge for technical support questions after the 90 day period if I don't have Apple Care (I am within the one year warranty)?

funwithamar

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
Use SmcFanControl to increase the speed of ur fan .....
but if the surrounding conditions are the same i dont see why it should be hot

i say take it back to apple store if u cant call
( dont knw anything about apple care :p )

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
USA
83 sounds about right, especially if it doesn't sit at idle for a while.

Really? It never used to be this hot....

I am only web browsing, and I am holding it on my lap, though my knees are supporting the edges and there is nothign but air underneath of the machine, so the fan air exit is not being blocked.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Really? It never used to be this hot....

I am only web browsing, and I am holding it on my lap, though my knees are supporting the edges and there is nothign but air underneath of the machine, so the fan air exit is not being blocked.

Check Activity Monitor and see CPU usage

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I have to admit that is rather hot for web browsing. I'm web browsing now and my 13" MBP is only 43 degrees C. But the computer knows what its doing, so you shouldn't worry about it.

Is it so hot though that its uncomfortable on your lap?

dsprimal

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
my mbp has run hot off of web surfing, i would just get smcfancontrol and crank up the fans so that your lap doesn't get so toasty ;)

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
USA
Were ya watching vids or using flash apps?

Thank you for all of your responses. I'll keep monitoring it to see if it is consistently high when not doing anything cpu intensive. I was just surfing macrumors and other websites (no flash or video), having been extremely happy to finally have my computer back.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
did i miss something? since when was 83C normal?:confused:

why is everyone saying 83c is normal for casual use, especially since he didnt use to get these tempts. My machine sits around 40-50C during casual use web and all.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
did i miss something? since when was 83C normal?:confused:

why is everyone saying 83c is normal for casual use, especially since he didnt use to get these tempts. My machine sits around 40-50C during casual use web and all.

My thoughts exactly! Assuming we're talking 83 degrees Celsius...thats HOT...~180 degrees F if I'm not mistaken. My MBP never gets anywhere near that. Hottest I've seen via SMCfancontrol is around 150ish F.

machiabelly

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2010
Go to Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor to check the applications that are running and taking up CPU resources. Sometimes when an application doesn't shut down properly, it can use up almost all your CPUs resources and cause the MacBook to overheat.

dsprimal

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
yes the flash app in use, grooveshark.com. but even without it, it still tends to get a bit warm on the top left hand corner (where the magsafe is). irritates my thigh, makes me scratch my leg a couple times before i get annoyed and reposition the mbp on my lap. but its no biggie!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.