Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:10 PM   #1
adiofm
macrumors newbie

Have a naked iPhone 4? I bet your camera housing is scratched

So if you're carrying around a naked IP4, you might want to flip it over and take a look at all the light scratches on your camera lens housing. You may have noticed that the lens is not recessed. Well, everytime you set it down on it's back, you expose the glass housing to whatever you set it on.

Don't believe me? Shine some light on the back camera lens and tilt the iPhone at an angle. You'll see the light scratches. There are LOTS of them.

My guess is that the glass on the camera is not this "gorilla glass" they've been talking about.

My question is, how long before this starts affecting pictures taken with the camera? Hmm.
adiofm is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:15 PM   #2
AndrewR23
macrumors 68020

there is a small scratch with a case on. always had a case on 24/7. i dont think you can prevent it and it doesnt mess up any pictures. honestly, i would have never ever noticed this if not for this thread.
AndrewR23 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:18 PM   #3
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiofm View Post
My question is, how long before this starts affecting pictures taken with the camera? Hmm.
Never, if its a fine scratch you'll never see an issue. Unless you have the eyes of a hawk and eagle combined
iphone1105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Mike84
macrumors 6502a

I have a scratch on my camera.
Mike84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:23 PM   #5
IndustrialSpace
macrumors 6502a

I'd be curious to see how prevelant this issue is and whether it does impact photo quality.

It is amazing how many flaws people are finding with this new iPhone 4.

Are people picky or is this iPhone a real failure?

The problems keep coming. WTF?
IndustrialSpace is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustrialSpace View Post
I'd be curious to see how prevelant this issue is and whether it does impact photo quality.

I think people are just too anal with their iphones.
Its just a cellphone that you most likelly will replace in a year or 2. Its not a house and you're not getting married to it.
People return iphones like 10+ times untill the get the "perfect" iphone for various OCD reasons.
Applejuiced is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiofm View Post
Have a naked iPhone 4? I bet your camera housing is scratched
So what did you bet and where can I collect it?

Small White Car is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:37 PM   #8
RonHC
macrumors 6502a

I have no scratches

Bee Yacht
RonHC is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:38 PM   #9
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
No scratches but I'm noticing dust in mine..
F123D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:39 PM   #10
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

I just noticed about six scratches on the back of my phone today. I thought this glass was supposed to be super strong. My phone has dropped a couple of times, but we're talking from a three-foot-high desk to a carpeted floor. That's not what would cause something akin to this, let alone the one I would call a borderline crack.

Alas, it's all cosmetic. None of it is over the camera. The front seems to be scratch-free.

If this stuff is the same as the glass used in helicopter windshields and is supposed to be "the most scratch-resistant ever," they might want to check their supplier. It's kinda crap for this to happen within a month, especially when you can't find a damn case for this phone yet.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:41 PM   #11
MisterDisney
macrumors 6502a

No scratches here.

EDIT: And I was worried because night before last I fell asleep on a reclining chair and woke up to find my phone had slipped into the wood/metal frame at the bottom. I had to pull the fabric covering apart to get it out.
MisterDisney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:42 PM   #12
Loiterer
macrumors member

Unless you routinely slide your phone across sandpaper, it shouldn't affect you at all. Even a cracked lens takes surprisingly unaffected photos.

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008...ment-scratches
Loiterer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:44 PM   #13
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
I just noticed about six scratches on the back of my phone today. I thought this glass was supposed to be super strong. My phone has dropped a couple of times, but we're talking from a three-foot-high desk to a carpeted floor. That's not what would cause something akin to this, let alone the one I would call a borderline crack.

Alas, it's all cosmetic. None of it is over the camera. The front seems to be scratch-free.

If this stuff is the same as the glass used in helicopter windshields and is supposed to be "the most scratch-resistant ever," they might want to check their supplier. It's kinda crap for this to happen within a month, especially when you can't find a damn case for this phone yet.

Are you sure it's the glass that's scratching? It's more likely it's the oleographic coating getting scratched.
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:44 PM   #14
hippo206
macrumors 6502

No scratches here, where do I collect my 500 bucks?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:46 PM   #15
markthrash
macrumors regular

You just lost your bet. My camera's fine.
-Apple TV 3rd Generation
markthrash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:46 PM   #16
samcraig
macrumors G5

I've seen professional photographers shoot beautiful pictures with severely cracked (and I mean CRACKED) lenses without an issue.

Of course the camera lens isn't the gorilla glass. Surprised you'd even think so. Surprised you think that the iPhone - or any other device can NEVER be scratched.

The lens getting scratched isn't going to affect the imaging unless it's a real scrape/nick, etc. I wouldn't worry.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:48 PM   #17
Snowman3459
macrumors 6502a

You really shouldn't generalize things...

Not a scratch on my camera. Just a pretty crack on the back glass =(
Old Jul 8, 2010, 03:24 PM   #18
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Are you sure it's the glass that's scratching? It's more likely it's the oleographic coating getting scratched.
I'm not looking at it through a microscope. I just know the back has a few microscratches and one that's kind of obvious because it goes over the Apple logo. I don't know if it's the coating or not. I just know that it isn't all shiny any more. I know stuff happens, but this seems kinda severe for three weeks, especially the big one.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 03:27 PM   #19
NWI73
Banned

No scratches at all here. Keep it in a microfiber bag and when its on my desk, it's on a microfiber cloth. At home it's on the bag or on the couch.
NWI73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 03:27 PM   #20
IndustrialSpace
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiterer View Post
Unless you routinely slide your phone across sandpaper, it shouldn't affect you at all. Even a cracked lens takes surprisingly unaffected photos.

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008...ment-scratches

Interesting link. Amazing how damaged the lens is and it still takes decent shots!
IndustrialSpace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 03:27 PM   #21
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
So what did you bet and where can I collect it?

Ditto...
Old Jul 8, 2010, 03:27 PM   #22
nyfliiboy
macrumors regular

no scratches for me. I have the griffin case with the plastic back
Old Jul 8, 2010, 03:31 PM   #23
randomerratum
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustrialSpace View Post

With the big antenna issue stirring up headlines, it just seems like people just want to add to this idea that the iPhone 4 is a complete failure in every way possible. It's sensationalism at it's finest. I consider my iPhone 4 pretty perfect, and have no legitimate complaints about any of it. Honestly, i think it's just the "in" thing to hate on right now.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 03:39 PM   #24
WeegieMac

No scratches on mine, and that's with the camera exposed through the hole cut out in the screen protector style film I have on the back of mine.

I used my iPhone 4 without any case or protector for three days and carefully checked it under direct light before applying the protectors to both sides ... not a mark.

Just because Apple say it's "tougher" doesn't mean you can sit it down a little harder or treat it like a 40 quid plastic shell Nokia.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 04:11 PM   #25
xmtgx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
Its only the front made of that first of all...
Second I have 0 scratches, no cases on mine either... Same with every other iphone i owned. People abuse **** and blame it on the product...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone