Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peaceful

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
That's a really weird.

1) X11 is installed by default on Leopard.
2) If it were not installed, there should not be an .app icon at all.

?) Soo...did you guys really not have X11 on 10.5.2? If so, how did you go about not having it?

No, it's not installed by default, that's why these files appeared like that. X11 is useful for alternative apps like GIMP and a few others...many people don't need it at all.

Oh for heaven's sake. YES it is! X11 is installed by default. I've verified this in my own (default) installs, as I need X11 for my work.

I've got external references, too:

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/tools/X11.html

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?p=419938#post419938

So my puzzlement continues: How come your X11 installs are borked? (Not that you'll care if you don't use it)

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
20080528-qw4pw2j67askny3xayehcqt8cb.png

It is! :)
Not getting it as an option - I am seeing Yahoo and Exchange, however. Do you have Spanning Sync installed? Anyone else on a PPC system see this?

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
Can anybody with a iMac and 8800 do a Cinebench test run and some Core Image benchamrking?
I'm on the road till tuesday so can't test it.
Damn Apple why did you have to realease it when I'm away!!:(

I'm on a Mac Pro not an iMac, but I've been waiting for this update to improve my 8800 performance. It's not as good as I'd hoped for.

Xbench graphic results...

Quartz
10.5.2 - 215.65
10.5.3 - 202.54

OpenGL
10.5.2 - 161.83
10.5.3 - 138.43

User Interface
10.5.2 - 263.37
10.5.3 - 264.60

I have my screen set to flash on alerts, this is still jittery, which is why I'm saying it's not as improved as I'd hoped for. My X1900 was never jittery like that.

Iroganai

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2003
I don't know how many of you already said this, but ...

Safari seems snappier now ;)

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Can we stop doing repair permissions people? There is no reason to do so prior to a point release.

Also, just use software update to tell you what update you need. There is no reason to download a combo.

Not for people who use protools. The software update always breaks protools. We have to use the combo. Don't ask me why...it's just how it is.

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
Not getting it as an option - I am seeing Yahoo and Exchange, however. Do you have Spanning Sync installed? Anyone else on a PPC system see this?

I'm not on a PPC but I have never used spanning sync on this mac.
Its there and my contacts have sync'd with google.

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Can we stop doing repair permissions people? There is no reason to do so prior to a point release.

Also, just use software update to tell you what update you need. There is no reason to download a combo.

There's no reason not to, either.

The supposed advantage for all those asking, is that the Combo update combines all the previous updates/patches/fixes/etc into one package.

It's probably originally intended for those who may have skipped a previous update for one reason or another, and this saves them from having to apply all prior updates before proceeding with this one.

The reason many, including myself, choose to use the Combo update instead of the smaller one is that bandwidth/download speed isn't a concern for us, and there are Mac pundits who suggest that the combo updater just makes sure that everything is the most current file in case you somehow missed one along the way.

No harm in doing it, probably no advantage (for most) either.

EDIT:

Not for people who use protools. The software update always breaks protools. We have to use the combo. Don't ask me why...it's just how it is.

Or as citi points out, apparently protool users need it. I have pro and never noticed one way or another, but as I said, I generally do combo updates anyways.

Peaceful

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005

I'm on an intel system, and I don't have the "Synchronize with Google" option on 10.5.3 (???)

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Oh for heaven's sake. YES it is! X11 is installed by default. I've verified this in my own (default) installs, as I need X11 for my work.

So my puzzlement continues: How come your X11 installs are borked? (Not that you'll care if you don't use it)

If you customize the install off the DVD (like many, many of us do, to take out other languages, unneeded print drivers, etc.), you can choose to not install X11. It's an option that is checked by default but is easily not installed.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The AirPort fixes are welcome. I've been loving Time Machine and Time Capsule for backups, but simply as a WiFi base station I've been frustrated at times. Connection before this update was stable with full bars once connnected... except around 3-5am when brief outages might occur (not a huge deal but odd). However, GETTING connected after waking was unreliable. Hopefully those behaviors are fixed by this update. If not, it may be interference and out of my control.

Other than that, I've only experienced one of the bugs on Apple's list:
"Resolves an issue in which activating an application from the Dock switches to a different space, even if there is a window for that application in the current space."

That did annoy me.

someone please post if it still takes 15 zillion years to verify / repair permissions, please and thank you.

If you have to fix permissions, which is not an expected regular procedure in OS X anymore... then wouldn't you rather they solve whatever problem creates that need? :) I don't care how slow it is--I don't want to have to do it at ALL. (And I haven't--but if you have, often enough to care about the speed, then that's a sign of something not right.)

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

Let me rephrase this: X11 is installed by default, but you CAN choose not to install it when you first install Leopard. I did that so X11 did NOT exist in my computer.

Fulgham

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, i have my connection drop every once in awhile. Hope they fix this.

... I haven't really experienced the dropouts on my MBP.... until i tried to download this updated... i got to 114/198 MB and my airport dropped right off... I messed around for 15 minutes until i finally got pissed off and ran a 50ft CAT5 to my CPU...

I love :apple: ... i hope this is my only bad experience and the update ensures this never happens again!

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I'm on a Mac Pro not an iMac, but I've been waiting for this update to improve my 8800 performance. It's not as good as I'd hoped for.

Xbench graphic results...

Quartz
10.5.2 - 215.65
10.5.3 - 202.54

OpenGL
10.5.2 - 161.83
10.5.3 - 138.43

User Interface
10.5.2 - 263.37
10.5.3 - 264.60

I have my screen set to flash on alerts, this is still jittery, which is why I'm saying it's not as improved as I'd hoped for. My X1900 was never jittery like that.

Which Cinebench are you using? those numbers seem odd.
Is that the 10.5 ?
There was a issue with the older Cinebench and Leopard.
Open GL should be in the area of +/- 5500/6700 with 10.5.2 using 2600/8800

Hansii

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Whoo! 420 MB downloaded in less than 7 minutes! :D

snappy.gif

--Erwin

I downloaded it in a little over a minute, the power of a 100MBit line.

But now the Kernel process is locked at 100% and the CPU shuts off one of its cores so the computer is pretty much useless. Is it possible to uninstall this update? If not I might have to reinstall the OS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.