Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
If it comes with the capability for a proper stylus, i.e. with a pencil-like fine tip, then I'm sold!! Been waiting for that for eons. That, and an on-screen keyboard that doesn't suck (i.e. contains all the keys you'd typically see on a Mac laptop).

Last edited:

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Why does a baking sheet need NFC?

As a PAID (You paying Someone) Terminal:cool:

----------

Sounds like it'd be a great point-of-sale terminal. I think someone could
turn this into a cash register very easily.

VERY easy with SQUARE!;)

----------

Is it just me or is using Apple Pay with a whacking great tablet probably just as stupid-looking as a tourist taking pictures using an iPad?

Not for you to pay with;), but business as a point of sale terminal:cool:

----------

Hmmm. Did Apple buy Microsoft's Surface 3 and repackage it?

Nope, THIS is Apples next "BUSINESS " sucess:cool:

----------

ipad pro with nfc could lead to apple controlling the entire payment industry.

Customers pay with apple pay on their iphones and apple watches, and the merchant accepts it with their ipad pro.

I'd imagine this causes a lot of concern for square.

Edit: Although maybe not. Square's product is all about processing credit cards. So any customers who can't pay via nfc will still need the merchant to have a credit card reader, possibly square's.

zactly!:d

----------

Last edited:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
If this had a fully functional version of Photoshop & Illustrator, or some completely compatible use program that reads and writes those files, then I would love one. Linking it as a second screen and input device to my MacBookPro or MacPro would satisfy this need mostly but I would like it to be fully functional for those types of work. What I would really like to see would be the MacOSX running on it. That would solve the issues and make it be top notch. It would be fine if it were thicker.
Why not connecting the ipadP to a mac with usb-c and suddenly it becames a cintiq? The size matches...

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
The NFC is for peripherals. Hopefully in iOS 9 they will be able to open NFC up in the iPhone 6 and Air 2 as well.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Why does a baking sheet need NFC?

Pairing and sharing.

That is, it will be (well, *should be*), part of a seamless sharing system that is both reasonably secure and simple to use.

I think this would be for students, graphic designers, artists, or anyone else who generates hand-written media. A dedicated, standalone device is great for this except that it means you have all these files you've created that you might have to spend a lot of time fiddling with.

NFC can be part of a system that gets those files where they need to go without much fiddling.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I have a hard time imagining many end users want a larger display. There was a big push for the smaller iPad mini, but there is very little buzz about a larger one.

There are power users in industry who want more.
Airline pilots might like larger maps.
Some engineers/architects might want more viewing ability for CAD viewing on the go.
Some artists might want a larger palette for working.

With NFC reading support there are grass roots businesses... who need point of sale terminals.
Startup mom and pop shops, fairgrounds, etc.
Square's business. In a countertop stand, it could be wired in to do a lot more. There is quite an industry Apple could go after.
This may simply be Apple going for even more, wedging themselves deeper into the market that revolves around handling transactions.

Power users and business are my guess at target market.

This is likely to be aimed primarily at the Pro market...hence the stylus.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I NEED THIS WITH THE STYLUS!!!
And more functional software.
If it could plug into my Mac via USB-C to act as a Cintiq, omg..

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Who is the target market for this because if it only has IOS apps the iPad Air 2 is fine for me.
then you are obviously not the target market. the target market is
1. anybody who wants to draw anything (artists, designers). a bigger screen and a stylus make perfect sense here.
2. people who want to write (not type) on a screen. This group includes for example college students (there are lots of them) who need to take live lecture notes. a larger screen and stylus support will be perfect for this. I regularly teach large classes and while many students have ipads they write notes on paper. current ipads are completely unsuitable for this purpose. (MS Surfaces ARE suitable btw because of their good stylus support).
3. larger size would generally be useful for anybody trying to use their ipads for work because I suspect that if and when the ipad pro is released it will run a modified version of iOS with more multitasking capabilities. at least a split screen for two apps side by side.

These are certainly niches but they are big enough niches to make an ipad pro worth the trouble for Apple. Personally, I would buy it on day 1.

Please, let it run OS X. Please!!
this is a terrible idea (even though it is oft repeated here) because OS X is absolutely not optimized for touch. Fortunately, there is absolutely ZERO chance that Apple will do this. They made it quite clear that they are not going the MS Surface route. there will be no laptop/ipad hybrids, at least in the next few years. All the talk here that the new macbooks would be some kind of OS X/ios combos was nonsense. it remains nonsense with regards to the ipad. ipads and macbooks will remain separate lines. the new ipad pro (if it materializes) will run a modified version of iOS but it will still be an iOS only device.

Edit: the original article mentions that the stylus would be blue tooth. why not NFC if they are going to include NFC anyway? BT requires recharging and NFC doesn't.

Last edited:

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Apple's equivalent to Surface Pro please. OS X, RAM, storage. For photography processing.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Apple's equivalent to Surface Pro please. OS X, RAM, storage. For photography processing.

This^^
otherwise still not compelling enough for me to chuck the iPad 3 especially while owning an iPhone 6+

Have you had extended time using a Surface Pro? There is a difference between the theoretical of using a desktop OS on a tablet, then there's the reality.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I understand people who want OS X / iOS dual boot. They want it to be a MacBook some of the time, and iPad some of the time. (Even though I don't think this will happen any time soon.)
But I really don't understand people who want only OS X on the iPad. OS X isn't made for touch, and neither are its applications, so the iPad with OS X would require a keyboard and trackpad 24/7, which would just make it a MacBook. Or do they want a new touch version of OS X? In that case, what about the applications? Are they seriously asking for new touch versions of all the thousands (millions?) of OS X applications?

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Is it just me or is using Apple Pay with a whacking great tablet probably just as stupid-looking as a tourist taking pictures using an iPad?

You can use it as a cash register to receive Apple Pay. Get rid of the $4000 Sale terminals for $799 yes please.

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...
I have the feeling this will be iOS+ & won't replace rMB

Whilst I like the idea of a Apple version of the Surface with Mac OS, I have the feeling that this won't happen yet.

I think the market is still a little bit immature, and maybe still in the "honeymoon phase" of adoption, before entering a "trough of disillusionment". If 2-in-1 hybrids become a dominant form factor, then Apple will eventually release a product in this category. Technologically, we're probably not quite there either. My belief is that an Apple 2-in-1 would be a device that switches between two operating modes, either iOS + Mac OS or a new combined Apple OS. This will take a bit more time to realise.

Reading some of the suggestions on this thread, I see the market for this device as being business and professional use. Larger maps, bigger documents, sheet music, bigger drawing canvas, enhanced media and control surfaces etc would be useful in many professions. Having a Point-of-Sale capability and a stylus would add to the possible uses.

Because of this usage, I think it will be called the "iPad Pro", and aimed firmly at enterprise, business and professionals. The software partnership with IBM will probably help develop enterprise software aimed at this device.

iOS may be extended to improve its multitasking abilities - I would hope so.

I was initially thinking that this might be an alternative to a rMB or Surface 3, but I now think not. It will still be a tablet, with some form of iOS, even if a keyboard is made available for it. The full-OS experience will remain with Apple's laptops.

I think the likelihood of a new iPad form is fairly high - > 75% in my opinion. Let's see!

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
A really good stylus and a killer PDF annotation / note-taking / OCR application included would make this a must-have for all students everywhere. That's a market worth having.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
A really good stylus and a killer PDF annotation / note-taking / OCR application included would make this a must-have for all students everywhere. That's a market worth having.

But bluetooth? maybe its just an reporter misrepresentation. Would apple deliver a subpar stylus in the uber pad. I doubt it, but who knows anymore

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
But bluetooth? maybe its just an reporter misrepresentation. Would apple deliver a subpar stylus in the uber pad. I doubt it, but who knows anymore

imagine both force touch AND a pressure sensitive stylus to improve sensitivity.. some sensors or something necessitating BT could very well be something apple would explore. perhaps the reason apple was never interested in wacom style tech because they knew they were on to something with their own force touch (something we know very little about at this point), and an 'insanely great' stylus patent..? i'm holding my breath. no one can tell me not to.

----------

But I really don't understand people who want only OS X on the iPad. OS X isn't made for touch, and neither are its applications ... Are they seriously asking for new touch versions of all the thousands (millions?) of OS X applications?

final cut, logic, iWork's (upgrade), to start, just have a few like Adobe and MS lead the way, and the rest will follow.

i sound like a broken record, but the cintiq/hackintosh community has found fairly competent touch capabilities in yosemite ,whereas mavericks was unusable. plus, scaling resolutions makes for pretty decent sized finder/icons/menu items... and a lot of that is further scalable in preferences.

i can imagine touching my computer right now and making full glorious use of OS X... feels good...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.