Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
USA
Sounds good! Of course, I'll wait a year or two until the retina display 1) isn't a rev A product and 2) only costs marginally more than a standard display. Should come at about the time I want to replace my MBP ;)

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
It seems you think your laptops screen needs to compensate for something... Screen size doesn't matter, it's pixel count that does to me. The 1440x900 is nice on the 13" MBA, and a rMBP 13" would be able to have up to 1650x1080 scaled mode one would hope, like its 15" bigger brother.

1920x1200 on the rMBP 15" is just godly to me.

My 13" MBA is my main machine and I use it a lot. When I need more screen, I have an external monitor sitting on my desk. Why waste cash on 2 1000$+ computers when external screens are so cheap ?

Fixed.
Not everybody wants minuscule text and graphics for the sake of portability.

NorrisSlave

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Quad-Core?

Any news on whether it will stick with the 13-inch dual core architecture or make the jump to Quad-Core? Please...QCi7, thanks.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
It seems you think your laptops screen needs to compensate for something... Screen size doesn't matter, it's pixel count that does.

I'll disagree with you there, but only to the degree that it's stated as an absolute. (Yes, I'm nit-picking. :p )

What really matters is a combination of pixel count and screen size. At either extreme (enormous screen w/ tiny pixel count or tiny screen w/ enormous pixel count), things get useless. Exactly where the 'sweet spot' is on size vs. pixel count falls is dependent on user preferences.

That said, once you hit 'retina', it's really only the screen size that matters, since more pixels won't actually do you any good without also giving more room for them.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'll disagree with you there, but only to the degree that it's stated as an absolute. (Yes, I'm nit-picking. :p )

Since we're not discussing edge cases of 50" monitors running 640x480 or 3.5" screens running 2560x1600, then your nit-pick is noted but I'll stick to my "absolutes".

What really matters is a combination of pixel count and screen size. At either extreme (enormous screen w/ tiny pixel count or tiny screen w/ enormous pixel count), things get useless. Exactly where the 'sweet spot' is on size vs. pixel count falls is dependent on user preferences.

Discussing things like 15" vs 17", the PPI differences for the stated resolutions are minimal. People just don't understand the relationship between "windows side by side" and pixel count, and mistake it to screen size.

That said, once you hit 'retina', it's really only the screen size that matters, since more pixels won't actually do you any good without also giving more room for them.

Screen size still doesn't matter for Retina. A 2880x1800 display on a 15" or 17" makes no discernable difference.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Since we're not discussing edge cases of 50" monitors running 640x480 or 3.5" screens running 2560x1600, then your nit-pick is noted but I'll stick to my "absolutes".

Discussing things like 15" vs 17", the PPI differences for the stated resolutions are minimal. People just don't understand the relationship between "windows side by side" and pixel count, and mistake it to screen size.

Agreed. As I said, I was nit-picking. :D

Screen size still doesn't matter for Retina. A 2880x1800 display on a 15" or 17" makes no discernable difference.

I don't quite agree here, because (assuming you're at 'retina' for either screen size at that pixel-count) The 17" display gives you more *physical* real-estate where things can be displayed, with the same visible level of detail per square-inch. The ultra-high resolutions of 'retina' displays make this a viable option, where it doesn't quite work out the same way if you're dealing with, say, 1080p on both displays.

It's not *quite* resolution independence, but it's a good step along the way to making that particular goal easier to reach.

shznit

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
I'll take a 15'' MBA with native 1680x1050 over this any day.

But... scaled 1920x1200 on the 15" rMPB is really nice, even though it's laggy as hell when running on the intel gpu due to the supersampling.

If scaled 1680x1050 on the 13" rMBP looks as good and isn't too laggy I will probably sell my 13" MBA and get that.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
It seems you think your laptops screen needs to compensate for something... Screen size doesn't matter, it's pixel count that does. The 1440x900 is nice on the 13" MBA, and a rMBP 13" would be able to have up to 1650x1080 scaled mode one would hope, like its 15" bigger brother.

1920x1200 on the rMBP 15" is just godly.

My 13" MBA is my main machine and I use it a lot. When I need more screen, I have an external monitor sitting on my desk. Why waste cash on 2 1000$+ computers when external screens are so cheap ?

Pixel count really means nothing to me quite frankly. I'm not a pro photographer. Screen size is far more important because I do a lot of multi-tasking. The 17" MBP was a perfect trade-off between screen size and portability. Without that I would probably now buy an iMac for my desktop and a MBA for when I'm travelling. I hate using external screens, it's such a messy and ugly compromise.

----------

Good news! The retina display on the 15" MBP allows for extra real-estate with a 1920x1200 mode. The 13" should allow up to 1680x1050.

All that does is make the text/icons/etc smaller on the screen to the point where I have troubled reading the bloody things.

That is not what I want. I just want a "bigger" screen. I don't care about pixels and that crap. I want to have 2 or more windows open side by side so I can flip between them. Simply making the text smaller by increasing the pixels doesn't help because then I have to make the window larger to read the text.

Just bring back the freakin 17" MBP. That's what we want. Simple.

----------

A "retina" screen (aka high-res display) is not wasted on any device of any size. It's great on a 3.5" iPhone screen, it's great in a 15", and it would be great in a 13".

Agreed on the 17". At my job, I just had my 17" (1920x1200) MBP replaced with a 15" rMBP. The retina 15" does 1920x1200 admirably, but the 17" was just glorious and I will miss it. The best part of the rMBP is the low size and weight while being a very powerful machine. I'd love for them to apply the same slimming down techniques to the 17"; hell, I'd want one even without a retina display (keeping the same 1920x1200 resolution). Alas, I doubt this will happen. Maybe years from now when competitors start putting 17" ultra-high-res displays in laptops, maybe Apple will bring the 17" back in response to this (kind of like how they responded to the large screen sizes of Android phones by making the iPhone bigger).

I would agree with that. Sadly I find myself disagreeing more and more with the direction Apple is moving in. I realise that means nothing to the powers that be but all the same it's disappointing for me as a long standing Apple and Mac customer. I've started to drift more and more towards other brands as Apple fails to meet my requirements for larger screens whether that be the 17" MBP or the 4" iPhone. Shame.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Pixel count really means nothing to me quite frankly. I'm not a pro photographer. Screen size is far more important because I do a lot of multi-tasking. The 17" MBP was a perfect trade-off between screen size and portability. Without that I would probably now buy an iMac for my desktop and a MBA for when I'm travelling. I hate using external screens, it's such a messy and ugly compromise.

I'm a programmer. You think you need to multi-task ? I need so many frigging windows open, all with text in them. Gimme 15" 1920x1200 any day of the week though. It fits the same number of pixels of a 17" 1920x1200, thus it fits the same number of windows with the same code displayed in them.

Identical real-estate. Externals are even better, coupled with the internal monitor, it's best of both worlds.

What's messy about external ? They sit on a desk, no more messy than a desktop. Plus with the external keyboard and mouse and the mDesign stand I use, it just looks great.

All that does is make the text/icons/etc smaller on the screen to the point where I have troubled reading the bloody things.

Text on a 1920x1200 15" screen is perfectly readable for anyone with below average eye vision (I have some bad eyesight myself).

That is not what I want. I just want a "bigger" screen. I don't care about pixels and that crap. I want to have 2 or more windows open side by side so I can flip between them. Simply making the text smaller by increasing the pixels doesn't help because then I have to make the window larger to read the text.

Making the windows larger displays more text, it doesn't help in reading the text. You need to start understanding how screen real-estate works.

A 17" screen running at a lower pixel count doesn't help you have more windows open side by side. Pixel count is what matters.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
A 17" screen running at a lower pixel count doesn't help you have more windows open side by side. Pixel count is what matters.

Absolutely not. I've tried that. What you don't seem to understand is that increasing the pixel count doesn't magically create more real-estate, it simply shrinks the size of the text/icons/etc so you can fit more in the same window. It's a bit like simply writing on piece of paper using smaller handwriting. Yes you might fit more handwriting on the page but then you can't read it back because it's so small.

That doesn't help me at all because I then struggle to read the text. If you find the 13" or the 15" MBP screen size works for you then great, but it's the same old argument - why do Apple keep taking away options that at least some users clearly want, like a 17" MBP - stick a retina screen on it if that helps. I can always adjust the resolution back to something more comfortable for me.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Absolutely not. I've tried that. What you don't seem to understand is that increasing the pixel count doesn't magically create more real-estate, it simply shrinks the size of the text/icons/etc so you can fit more in the same window. It's a bit like simply writing on piece of paper using smaller handwriting. Yes you might fit more handwriting on the page but then you can't read it back because it's so small.

That's precisely what real-estate is. More pixels = more stuff showing up on screen even though it is smaller.

And you're definately exagerrating the size difference between a 15" and 17" screen. Those 2 inches don't really make that big of a difference at 1920x1200. It's 133 PPI for the 17" vs 150 PPI for the 15".

130ish PPI screens are just starting to be in the realm of acceptable if you ask me. It's ludicrous that Apple's highest density laptop monitor is the 11" MBA at 135 PPI. Dell had higher PPIs in the early 00s on their premium optional panels for god's sake.

podiki

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
Lagovouni
130ish PPI screens are just starting to be in the realm of acceptable if you ask me. It's ludicrous that Apple's highest density laptop monitor is the 11" MBA at 135 PPI. Dell had higher PPIs in the early 00s on their premium optional panels for god's sake.

my first laptop had a 1600x1200 resolution and after that I was always lucky to get 1920x1200 laptops from my customers or employers to use. Always 15" screens. Ideal resolution to me for a 15" and I initially bought a 17" MacBook Pro just for the resolution. The screen hinge was crap so I traded it in. Only now with the higher resolution on the 15" I find it an interesting laptop. still too low though.

mobidutch

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Texas
I realize there hasn't been any uplifting news about the potential launch of a 13" rMBP in the past week, but could we move the discussion about screen resolutions to a different thread? I don't mean to be rude, and your discussion is valid and interesting, but I prefer that any thread notifications I get for the original topic are actually on topic. Thx!

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
But it is a tiny 13.3" screen.

The iPhone is a tiny 4" screen.

It just depends on how far away from your eyes the display is. I agree, the 13.3" size is too small for frequent use, but some people can make do.

And, sharpness, the Retina kind, makes smaller displays infinitely better than they were before.

So if people have made do with 13.3" notebook screens from Apple so far (its the most popular size by far), they'll be delighted going forward.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
That's precisely what real-estate is. More pixels = more stuff showing up on screen even though it is smaller.

That's what I said. More stuff on the screen just smaller. I just don't want the smaller part because my eyesight is not what it was so I need to maintain a certain text size to be able to read it. Those extra 2 inches make a big difference if like me you're sat in front of your computer all day every day. It just makes it easier to flip between windows. Hey I'm not dissing anyone who is happy with their 13" or 15" MacBooks, it just for me and I think a lot of others we are very disappointed they ditched the 17" model. I will be very interested to see how many of the higher priced 15" Retina MBPs they sell given the price differential over the non Retina model.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
Pixel count really means nothing to me quite frankly. I'm not a pro photographer. Screen size is far more important because I do a lot of multi-tasking.

Funny. Pixel count means nothing to me and I am a pro photographer.

I use a calibrated wide-gamut IPS panel. It's 96 dpi, and it's perfect for photo editing. And yes, size is far more important than dpi for photographic editing.

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
The iPhone is a tiny 4" screen.

It just depends on how far away from your eyes the display is. I agree, the 13.3" size is too small for frequent use, but some people can make do.

And, sharpness, the Retina kind, makes smaller displays infinitely better than they were before.

So if people have made do with 13.3" notebook screens from Apple so far (its the most popular size by far), they'll be delighted going forward.

---delete---

Last edited:

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
New iMacs - When? ?

Now that we know the Oct. 23 date for the iPad Mini unveiling, when the heck is Apple going to break out the refreshed iMacs?

Yes, I know they were having issues with the 27" displays, but what about the others?

Any credible sites out there that shed any light on this? Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.