Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
You forget that they're using the space that the DVD and hard drives took to make it thinner, that cancels out any extra space for the discrete GPU. It's also not like the optical drive was a serious impediment to a 13" MBP with discrete graphics.

A 13" MBPr will be thinner than the 13"MBP, but I think it will only be as thin as the 15"MBPr. I do not believe that Ivy Bridge is strong enough to drive retina graphics. Also a 13"MBPr will not be tapered like a MBA, so with that said...

I think the following, a 13"MBPr will have a discreet GPU, or it will not come out till Haswell.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You forget that they're using the space that the DVD and hard drives took to make it thinner, that cancels out any extra space for the discrete GPU. It's also not like the optical drive was a serious impediment to a 13" MBP with discrete graphics.

A 13" MBPr will be thinner than the 13"MBP, but I think it will only be as thin as the 15"MBPr. I do not believe that Ivy Bridge is strong enough to drive retina graphics. Also a 13"MBPr will not be tapered like a MBA, so with that said...

I think the following, a 13"MBPr will have a discreet GPU, or it will not come out till Haswell.

You don't know what you're talking about! The Intel HD 4000 as part of Ivy Bridge is more than enough to drive retina screens. The resolution of the 15" retina screen is 2880x1800; do the math and you'll find that number is less than the number of pixels outputted by a 13" non-retina MBP driving two thunderbolt displays, 1280x800 + 2 x (2560x1440), which it can do with no problem at all. The problem is all software; Apple has not coded either OS X or the drivers to handle drawing at such high pixel densities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.