Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
I’ve had my 13 mini since it first came out and I’m at 93% battery life. This seems pretty low. Do batteries tend to have falloff then level out? Where are you guys sitting?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have a launch day 13 mini and still at 100% battery health.

Each battery is slightly different as it is a ongoing chemical reaction. As SL stated, a lot of things can affect the battery health. Once it gets below 80%, have Apple replace it.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015

Each battery is slightly different as it is a ongoing chemical reaction. As SL stated, a lot of things can affect the battery health. Once it gets below 80%, have Apple replace it.
I kept looking at where they’d replace it and couldn’t find anything. Didn’t know it was 80% thanks

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I’ve had my 13 mini since it first came out and I’m at 93% battery life. This seems pretty low. Do batteries tend to have falloff then level out? Where are you guys sitting?
Don't over think it. It's been a year by now, which assuming charging once a day means ~360 cycles on a 500 cycle battery (Apple guarantees 500 cycles o 80%). So by all accounts, you are fine.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
I also have a 13 mini which I bought either on launch day or close to it. If it's helpful, I'm at 94%. My husband has a 13 Pro and his is at 98%. I don't think it's surprising, because the mini is a smaller phone and therefore a smaller battery. It will have more cycles than a larger phone and therefore the battery will degrade quicker. But I don't notice much difference at this point. At 80% I will get it changed though, if I still have the phone!

Fozamo

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I had the 12 mini and after a year it was at 85%. Now with the 11 pro after 6 months it's still at 100%.
I think there is something going on with mini phones and their batteries, so in your particular case I would say it's normal.

Just replace the battery when it hits below 80%

pdxrevolution

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2015
I had a 12 mini, and the battery life was pretty bad from the beginning. I got the 13 mini on day 1, and I couldn’t believe how great the battery life was. Made the upgrade worth it just for the better battery life. My 100% last for quite a while, but once it dropped to 99%, I could tell it wasn’t lasting as long. Now I’m down to 94%, and it feels like it only lasts as long as the 12 mini ever did. I want to keep this phone for years, and I will gladly pay $69 in a few months for a new battery. If I do that 2 or 3 times while I own this phone, it will have been worth it to have a nice, small phone with good battery life.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
My Wife's iPhone 12 Mini dropped to 85% in 6 months and then stayed on 85% for next 1 year. Then dropped to 84% within a month. So after 19 months, it's at 84%, 83.6% as per 3U Tools.

The battery life on this 12 Mini is so f***all making my wife frustrated. So I went to the Apple Service centre to replace it at my cost. However I was shooed away from there... "auuhhh come back when battery status shows "Service". Apple's new policy states that no battery replacements can be carried out till then".

Reactions: Andeddu and Fozamo

RobertoDLV

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2021
I was at 100% few days ago (bought it when it was released) but with the recent heat waves it suddenly dropped at 97% even if I try not to overuse it when the weather is that hot. I also pay attention to not let the battery go below 20% or reach over 80%... And usually charging in low power mode.
Hope it won't drop much quickly from now.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011

What are your general habits that help maintain this level after almost a year?

Kone

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2021
Launch day 13 Mini, 94%.

Was at 100% until June when we went to Zion, Bryce, and Capitol Reef in Utah. 13 Mini was plugged in using CarPlay.

Majority of charging is Magsafe.

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
I bought my mini 2,5 months ago and I am at 100 (according to coconut battery I’m at 102). At 88 charge cycles already so I will probably start seeing a dip in battery life soon!

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
I have my iPhone since November I think, so about 8 months, still at 100.

But I gotta admit I used it normal and not all the time, don't use an apple/iCloud account on my Mini and only have a very few apps installed (logged in the app Store and logged out again after downloading). My device lasts twice as long then before and I believe this will benefit battery health too. And I only charge with 5w charger. No fast charging or wireless charging either.

climber2020

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
Not a 13, but I have a 12 Mini I got a few weeks after launch. Battery Health is still sitting at 99%. I use about 30% of the battery per day and charge in the mornings to about 80 to 85%. Only charge to the full 100% when on vacation.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
My launch day 13 mini is at 94%. I charge mine every night using an Anker 12W brick. I used to be obsessed with keeping the whole battery health percentage pristine but life's too short to care that much about something that is destined to degrade. I plan to keep my mini for as long as possible, so I bought AppleCare. If the battery ever becomes a huge issue, I can just get it replaced.

Reactions: Kone

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
I have my iPhone since November I think, so about 8 months, still at 100.

But I gotta admit I used it normal and not all the time, don't use an apple/iCloud account on my Mini and only have a very few apps installed (logged in the app Store and logged out again after downloading). My device lasts twice as long then before and I believe this will benefit battery health too. And I only charge with 5w charger. No fast charging or wireless charging either.
May I ask why you go thru the pain of logging back out every time?

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
May I ask why you go thru the pain of logging back out every time?
I don't wanna use anything with Apple anymore that isn't necessary for me. Privacy reasons. Before, I had EVERYTHING with Apple, hardware of course but also software and iCloud etc. Now I am using different browsers, different mail and notes provider. Different online storage. And no Apple account at all. But I need around 5 apps, I can't live without. So I just log into App Store (not iCloud in settings), download apps, log out, and each month I update all apps once. If you are logged in somewhere they can track everything you do. No need for that here. Plus more battery consumption.

I try more and more steps into privacy, one is to not give one company all of your data. Only thing I really miss is Apple Pay. But I get much better battery life, around 30% more without apple account activated. I would also choose a linux device and try it, or at least Pixel with GrapheneOS. But I love the Mini so much, no other company has a high end mini device in it's line up. And Apple just knows how to make amazing hardware, no question about that. But I believe this is one reason I have 100% battery still.

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I have had my 13 Mini since launch day, which is now 10 months ago. My battery health remained at 100% until just recently when it declined all the way down to 99%. This is the best battery I have had since my first iPhone in 2013, and I use my phone heavily.

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
I don't wanna use anything with Apple anymore that isn't necessary for me. Privacy reasons. Before, I had EVERYTHING with Apple, hardware of course but also software and iCloud etc. Now I am using different browsers, different mail and notes provider. Different online storage. And no Apple account at all. But I need around 5 apps, I can't live without. So I just log into App Store (not iCloud in settings), download apps, log out, and each month I update all apps once. If you are logged in somewhere they can track everything you do. No need for that here. Plus more battery consumption.

I try more and more steps into privacy, one is to not give one company all of your data. Only thing I really miss is Apple Pay. But I get much better battery life, around 30% more without apple account activated. I would also choose a linux device and try it, or at least Pixel with GrapheneOS. But I love the Mini so much, no other company has a high end mini device in it's line up. And Apple just knows how to make amazing hardware, no question about that. But I believe this is one reason I have 100% battery still.
You have a point there with not using Apple account for iCloud for privacy reasons but AppStore itself isn’t doing much. All the data about what apps you’ve downloaded is already linked to your account on the servers so you’re not gaining anything by logging out each time.

Most other features and metrics that Apple uses are not associated with your specific Apple ID as they make most of their money from hardware and they don’t need precise data about an individual to design their services around. There’s an impact on the battery with all the extra overhead but it won’t be significant as the data transferred is a couple MBs each day at best. And most of the data is anonymized with techniques like Differential Privacy and the AI is performed on-device.
For reference I have most features enabled except the handful that aren’t beneficial to me like the Background Refresh and improving Maps etc and my battery health is still at 103% after close to 160 cycles and I use 96W charger too sometimes. And I even have a HomeKit setup. So I’d think the low battery cycles is the primary reason for your battery health staying at 100% and not not using Apple ID per se.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
My launch day 13 mini is at 94%. I charge mine every night using an Anker 12W brick. I used to be obsessed with keeping the whole battery health percentage pristine but life's too short to care that much about something that is destined to degrade. I plan to keep my mini for as long as possible, so I bought AppleCare. If the battery ever becomes a huge issue, I can just get it replaced.
Update: Less than a month later the battery capacity has dropped to 89%.

• Wow
Reactions: Barbareren

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Update: Less than a month later the battery capacity has dropped to 89%.

that's funny - because mine's been 94% for some time but in the last few weeks it's been acting way worse than it was a month ago. I'm still at 94%. Mine gets super super hot very very easily now. And when it's super hot the battery drains quick. Does yours do the same?

Last edited:

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
that's fine - because mine's been 94% for some time but in the last few weeks it's been acting way worse than it was a month ago. I'm still at 94%. Mine gets super super hot very very easily now. And when it's super hot the battery drains quick. Does yours do the same?
Mine got really hot on 15.5 but seems a lot more stable on iOS 15.6. Mine is still at 100 but is only 3,5 months old

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.