Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Whats up,

I currently have one week left to decide whether I want to keep this amazing machine or to return it for a future model. The only thing that holds me back is that I saw rumors about a 14" version of this machine coming out soon. What do you guys think?

Reactions: hova

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
There are no rumors, just people speculating as that what they want to see. If we see a 14" model, the earliest I would say is late-2016. But there are absolutely no indication or rumors that one is coming. People seem to think that Apple will offer the rMB in 12" and 14" sizes, much like the MacBook Pro is in 13" and 15" sizes. But the whole point of the rMB is to provide the most portable machine without sacrificing the keyboard.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
No. It's just random speculation from users on here. It makes no sense to have a larger consumer model than the 13 inch pro model. Plus it defeats the purpose of the MacBook, it would suddenly be much larger and heavier.

12" Macbook
14" Dual Core Macbook Pro
16" Quad Core Macbook Pro

You watch

This is what I hope they do too.

Asthmatic Kitty

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Yeah I can't see this happening either - watch the MacBook keynote introduction again and see how many times they say words like "extreme" and "efficient". This notebook is supposed to be the most pared-down version of a laptop, with not a millimetre of space left unused, so it would be pretty weird to make a 14" version with a bunch of empty space in the unibody. (unless they made a GIANT keyboard and trackpad, that would be pretty funny.)

I think you'd end up really frustrated with yourself if you took back your 12" and twiddled your thumbs for years waiting for a 14".

Reactions: nikster0029

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Must agree with the others, The macbook was designed to replace both airs as the only small, thin and light laptop that apple do, a 14 inch version would defeat the purpose of this.

There have been no rumours outside of wishful thinking on macrumours forums that I have seen.

Reactions: Queen6

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
Had there ever been two screen sizes of the MacBook? I ask because I came onto the Mac scene after the iBook became the MacBook, but I don't recall there ever being two screen sizes — if you wanted a MacBook, you got the MacBook. The air and the pro have generally had two screen sizes, but not the straight MacBook.

That being said, it's obvious all of Apple's laptops are heading this direction, as far as design. It's just a matter of how long it takes them to get here.

Personally, when it comes to a portable computer, I don't think you can beat the current size. Even if there was a 14" version, I'd still have the 12". It's perfect.

Reactions: nikster0029

Music Lover

macrumors member
May 10, 2015
Must agree with the others, The macbook was designed to replace both airs as the only small, thin and light laptop that apple do, a 14 inch version would defeat the purpose of this..
Have all of you not observed the trend over 20 years?
Laptops are lighter and thinner for each year...so even Macs with bigger displays will be downsized.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
We are certainly aware of this, but in the case of the Macbook, unlike every other laptop in the lineup, it was built specifically to be as small and light as possible. So making a 14" version of this particular model would seem a bit odd.

That said, every laptop they make should continue to get smaller and lighter with thinner screen bezels. The big question everyone has is how this will affect the MBA. Will it continue on as an all-around budget machine? Will it eventually get the Macbook treatment? Will it be discontinued altogether? I am not convinced that the lineup will end up being limited to the Macbook and Macbook Pros. I think Apple wants something more comprehensive than that, and the current Apple has not been shying away from developing more complete product lines.

Asthmatic Kitty

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Also, Schiller said the size of the keyboard defined which screen size they chose - another tidbit to make a 14" less likely.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
We are certainly aware of this, but in the case of the Macbook, unlike every other laptop in the lineup, it was built specifically to be as small and light as possible. So making a 14" version of this particular model would seem a bit odd.

That said, every laptop they make should continue to get smaller and lighter with thinner screen bezels. The big question everyone has is how this will affect the MBA. Will it continue on as an all-around budget machine? Will it eventually get the Macbook treatment? Will it be discontinued altogether? I am not convinced that the lineup will end up being limited to the Macbook and Macbook Pros. I think Apple wants something more comprehensive than that, and the current Apple has not been shying away from developing more complete product lines.

I think the Air is going to be canceled. Seeing as they chose to make a newer thinner retina machine instead of adding retina to the Air speaks volumes. Once the rMB can get down to 899-999 the Air is gone.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
I like the current size. Everything is just the right size. If you look at the 13 Air and the 15 MBP, there are a lot of space on the sides. It looks like there are lots of empty space. Even if Apple did come out with the 14 inch, the 12 inch would still look perfect. Just big enough to fit the keyboard, and nothing extra. Apple moved the speakers above the keyboard, instead of building it on the side or under the keyboard, allowing the width of the Macbook to be compact, just enough for the full keyboard size.

I'm certain some could appreciate the extra real estate. Maybe in a year or two, we will see.

Looking back at my 2013 rMBP, it looks outdated. I still use it daily for certain tasks when I'm not really moving it around. Maybe I'll sell it, or keep it, who knows.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't think there will be a larger macbook. When the technology gets more advanced I can see apple making a MBP that is very similar in design, but it will be a few years until there is good enough technology that apple will sell a pro machine with the same thickness as the MB.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Apple historically has always launched larger variants first before smaller variants, e.g. iPad v iPad mini, 15" retina v 13" retina, 27" retina iMac v 21.5" retina iMac. The main exception is probably the iPhone.

Perhaps there'll be an 10" MacBook instead.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Apple historically has always launched larger variants first before smaller variants, e.g. iPad v iPad mini, 15" retina v 13" retina, 27" retina iMac v 21.5" retina iMac. The main exception is probably the iPhone.

Perhaps there'll be an 10" MacBook instead.

Now we all know that won't be happening.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Then I don't think we'll be seeing a 14" Macbook. However, what I would really like to see is a 15" Macbook Pro with the physical weight and dimensions of a 13" Macbook Air (obviously, it would need to have minimal screen bezel). If that can be done without compromising CPU / GPU specifications, that would be a glorious laptop indeed.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
I'm one of the few who like the keyboard on the new MacBook and can't wait to see it implemented on the larger MBPs.
Actually, a lot of people who actually own the new MB say they like or even prefer the new keyboard. It just throws people on first impressions when they try it out in a store, as the initial response and feel is very different from what they're used to. I was less accurate typing on it for the first couple of days, but now I definitely prefer the new design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.