Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is cautious with its Apple Watch and doesn't market the device as waterproof, instead giving it a water resistance rating of IPX7. Apple says it's fine to wear the watch in the rain or while washing your hands, but the company doesn't recommend submerging the device.

Many Apple Watch owners have tested Apple's water resistance claims, coming to the conclusion that the Apple Watch is more water resistant than Apple claims. It's survived submersion in a bucket, laps in a pool, lengthy swim tests, and even a 10m dive with no damage.

applewatchwater.jpg
Image via Craig Hockenberry​

iOS developer Craig Hockenberry of Iconfactory has followed up each of those tests with a thorough look at the Apple Watch's ability to function in water, which he's compiled into a detailed report that's well worth a read.

Hockenberry wears his Apple Watch while swimming in both pools and the ocean with no discernible damage. Because other reports have already proven the Apple Watch can function in water, Hockenberry goes deeper and looks at how well the watch works while it's in water, how it can be used while swimming, how accurate the data tracking is for water-based activities like swimming, and how to keep the Apple Watch in good condition after using it in salt water and chlorine.

The Apple Watch's capacitive touch screen doesn't work while the device is under water, nor does Force Touch. This is a problem when using the Workout app, as it can't be accessed in the water, and occasionally, water can activate a swipe on the display, swapping from the timer to the calorie view. A workout can only be started before getting into the water and ended after getting out, leading to some inaccuracies.
You have to start the workout before getting in the water and stop after you've gotten a chance to dry off.

For an ocean swim, this screws up your timing: you don't really start swimming until after you get beyond the surf break. If there's heavy surf, this can take several minutes. Workout data is being collected while you're standing and waiting for waves to clear.
Hockenberry postulates that Apple recommends customers don't use the Apple Watch in water "because of the erratic behavior it causes" when the screen is wet, rather than out of concern for how well it holds up in water. As he suggests, it's possible water activity tracking will improve upon the release of WatchOS 2 if native swimming apps are allowed, but it is not clear if Apple will approve swimming apps as they encourage users to wear the Apple Watch in a way that Apple does not support.

Hockenberry's full, detailed report on how the Apple Watch functions in water can be read over at his site, Furbo.org.

Article Link: A Detailed Look at How the Apple Watch Functions in Water

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I've already had my Apple Watch replaced once about a month or so after I had it. I rarely take off my Watch and wear it in the shower each day, but only had this problem once. After washing my hands during the day at a clients, I noticed my Watch wouldn't come back on. Upon further inspection, it looked like water got underneath the screen in the top right corner.

Apple promptly replaced it and it's been fine since. I still wear my watch in the shower and other places, but it happens again I'll have to come to realization that the Apple Watch just isn't on par water resistance wise compared to mechanical watches I've worn in the past.

In case anyone is wondering, below are what a water damaged Apple Watch looks like.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Apple Watch 2 - fitness tracking under water*

*Software fixes for water activity tracking disabled on first generation Apple Watch devices

Reactions: AleXXXa

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
I wore my Apple Watch white water tubing this weekend with no troubles other than my friends who thought I was crazy. But I had to have my fitness credit for all my efforts to "paddle" the tube from one side of the river to the other. I burned over 840 calories! Could you imagine if that didn't get recorded? In this case, thank goodness for Apple under promising on water resistance and over delivering.

thisrocks

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Melbourne Australia
i cant help but always shake my head at people potentially throwing away at minimum $350 a pop simply because they dont believe the manufacturer's claims to keep their expensive watch functioning normally.

But it is guaranteed water resistant, so if you did take it out on any kind of water activity you could just say you showered with it and the resultant fault happened.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I've also been wearing it in the shower for about 2 weeks now. I doubt it will ever cause a problem, based on how few water damage reports I've read despite widespread accounts of people using it in the water.

I would have taken it while flyboarding recently if I wasn't concerned about the sport band getting knocked off my wrist.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
But it is guaranteed water resistant, so if you did take it out on any kind of water activity you could just say you showered with it and the resultant fault happened.
Exactly! I don't spend this much money on a watch to have to keep it on a silk pillow each night. Crappy watches are the ones that can't go near water, and I wouldn't consider the Apple Watch to be crappy. Considering Tim said he wears his in the shower, plus with it being water resistant, I don't hesitate at all to hop in the shower with it.

My old Seiko literally never came off my wrist, and it's been in the ocean/lake/river/pool/etc and has never skipped a beat. I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt with my first issue since it's covered under warranty, but if it happens again I'll lose faith.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
"Many Apple Watch owners have tested Apple's water resistance claims.."

Brave souls. I salute your quest to push the limits of expensive technology.
I won't even test the Scotch-guard on my sofa.

I hesitated to get it wet but after issues with a sticky crown, Apple's own solution was to rinse it under a faucet for a period of time while twisting and clicking the crown. Since then, after workouts where I perspire considerably, I take it with me into the shower. Tim Cook said he showers with it, and while I don't doubt he has an unless supply at his disposal, that's a bold thing for him to say.

Reactions: sshambles

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Exactly! I don't spend this much money on a watch to have to keep it on a silk pillow each night. Crappy watches are the ones that can't go near water, and I wouldn't consider the Apple Watch to be crappy. Considering Tim said he wears his in the shower, plus with it being water resistant, I don't hesitate at all to hop in the shower with it.

My old Seiko literally never came off my wrist, and it's been in the ocean/lake/river/pool/etc and has never skipped a beat. I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt with my first issue since it's covered under warranty, but if it happens again I'll lose faith.

Yep, I have my Omega for 20 years and it's a work horse. I did all sort of activities on water constantly and never had an issue. I only take my watch out when going to sleep, so I have never have to think about otherwise. I like the Apple Watch concept but it has to be like that for me to consider it. Have to think about taking out when jumping on the pool or ocean is a no no.
I am sure this is something Apple is working hard to solve in future versions.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I can understand using wearing the watch while showering maybe, but the number of people swimming and doing water activities with the watch on despite no claims of being waterproof is crazy to me. I just hope that if/when the watch does get water damage they don't come here trying to blame Apple.

Non-waterproof Apple Watch seems to be very waterproof.

Key word "seems."

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Seeing as there have been quite a few people smashing Apple Watches for YouTube videos.

Most are stupid, but a few do actually tell you something about the watch and how it withstands various treatments.

Why oh why oh why has no one simply taken the watch, down (or in a pressure vessel to simulate depth)
And see (perhaps using 2 or 3 cheap sports models) how far down the watch can go before it fails?

I say use 3, as you then could get a reasonable average as otherwise one may give an unreliable indication.

Whilst I'm not suggesting it would be a good idea, it would be interesting and informative to see at what depths they all failed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.