Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
... uh... this is a thread about whether it should be worn in the water. I thought it might help to share my experience. Isn't that what these boards are for?

Care to classify what you mean by weird? We're you picked on as a kid? Not sure what would drive you to try and bring someone down for no reason.
They just feel threatened by your wonderful photos. Ignore them.

And that said, please feel free to post more pictures of your beautiful body ;-)

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Simple. Give it a "swimming mode" like Airplane mode but to disable the screen. A long press of the crown or power button to enable it and disable it.

KISS principle. Love it.
reminds me of the old dilemma NASA had. They were spending millions to come up with a solution to writing in space. Due to Zero G, Pen ink tended to not work. They tried thousands of inventions, spending millions on R&D and got nowhere. Finally, they asked Russia, what did they do.

Russia was using pencils.

*The truth of this story may not be based in fact, but it is used often to exemplify the KISS principle. Sometimes, what you need is already there, you just need to realize it and learn how to use it

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
KISS principle. Love it.
reminds me of the old dilemma NASA had. They were spending millions to come up with a solution to writing in space. Due to Zero G, Pen ink tended to not work. They tried thousands of inventions, spending millions on R&D and got nowhere. Finally, they asked Russia, what did they do.

Russia was using pencils.

*The truth of this story may not be based in fact, but it is used often to exemplify the KISS principle. Sometimes, what you need is already there, you just need to realize it and learn how to use it

The story is partially true.
Originally, NASA astronauts, like the Soviet cosmonauts, used pencils. In 1965 NASA ordered 34 mechanical pencils from Houston's Tycam Engineering Manufacturing, Inc. They paid $4,382.50 or $128.89 per pencil. When these prices became public, there was an outcry and NASA scrambled to find something cheaper for the astronauts to use.

Pencils may not have been the best choice anyway. The tips flaked and broke off, drifting in microgravity where they could potentially harm an astronaut or equipment. And pencils are flammable--a quality NASA wanted to avoid in onboard objects after the Apollo 1 fire.

Paul C. Fisher and his company, the Fisher Pen Company, reportedly invested $1 million to create what is now commonly known as the space pen. None of this investment money came from NASA's coffers--the agency only became involved after the pen was dreamed into existence. In 1965 Fisher patented a pen that could write upside-down, in frigid or roasting conditions (down to minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit or up to 400 degrees F), and even underwater or in other liquids. If too hot, though, the ink turned green instead of its normal blue.

That same year, Fisher offered the AG-7 "Anti-Gravity" Space Pen to NASA. Because of the earlier mechanical pencil fiasco, NASA was hesitant. But, after testing the space pen intensively, the agency decided to use it on spaceflights beginning in 1967.

In 1968, NASA ordered 400 of Fisher's antigravity ballpoint pens for the Apollo program. A year later, the Soviet Union ordered 100 pens and 1,000 ink cartridges to use on their Soyuz space missions. Both NASA and the Soviet space agency received the same 40 percent discount for buying their pens in bulk. They both paid $2.39 per pen instead of $3.98.

Since the late 1960s American astronauts and Russian cosmonauts have used Fisher's pens.

Attachments

• AG-7_Space_Pen.JPG
    AG-7_Space_Pen.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 125

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Originally, NASA astronauts, like the Soviet cosmonauts, used pencils. In 1965 NASA ordered 34 mechanical pencils from Houston's Tycam Engineering Manufacturing, Inc. They paid $4,382.50 or $128.89 per pencil. When these prices became public, there was an outcry and NASA scrambled to find something cheaper for the astronauts to use.

Pencils may not have been the best choice anyway. The tips flaked and broke off, drifting in microgravity where they could potentially harm an astronaut or equipment. And pencils are flammable--a quality NASA wanted to avoid in onboard objects after the Apollo 1 fire.

Paul C. Fisher and his company, the Fisher Pen Company, reportedly invested $1 million to create what is now commonly known as the space pen. None of this investment money came from NASA's coffers--the agency only became involved after the pen was dreamed into existence. In 1965 Fisher patented a pen that could write upside-down, in frigid or roasting conditions (down to minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit or up to 400 degrees F), and even underwater or in other liquids. If too hot, though, the ink turned green instead of its normal blue.

That same year, Fisher offered the AG-7 "Anti-Gravity" Space Pen to NASA. Because of the earlier mechanical pencil fiasco, NASA was hesitant. But, after testing the space pen intensively, the agency decided to use it on spaceflights beginning in 1967.

In 1968, NASA ordered 400 of Fisher's antigravity ballpoint pens for the Apollo program. A year later, the Soviet Union ordered 100 pens and 1,000 ink cartridges to use on their Soyuz space missions. Both NASA and the Soviet space agency received the same 40 percent discount for buying their pens in bulk. They both paid $2.39 per pen instead of $3.98.

Since the late 1960s American astronauts and Russian cosmonauts have used Fisher's pens.

I have one.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
I've worn mine in the pool and the ocean, and even wore it all day at a major water-park while I went on every ride. I'd say its pretty waterproof. I added a pro diver strap for kicks. :cool: if it gets water damage so be it. I'm thinking that the issue may be that inconsistencies in manufacturing could make some less water resistant than most... who knows.
Apple Watch Breitling Pro Driver.jpg

Reactions: WatchSwimmer

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I'm thinking that the issue may be that inconsistencies in manufacturing could make some less water resistant than most... who knows.
View attachment 569067

If it sustains water ingress just from hand washing, which is what happened to a member, then that's considered a manufacturing defect rather than inconsistencies in manufacturing (i.e., typical manufacturing process tolerance).

Reactions: AmpSkillz

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Wow. You do worry a lot!

I paid good money for my watch, the high mineral content in my water is a given, I am qualified to access such risks and I don't want to take them.

Do you have a watch, do you wear it in the water?

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England

And it was remiss of me to neglect saying:

Interesting history. Thanks for posting it. Are you an astronaut?

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Soaps, especially shampoos (from what I've heard) have non-ionic surfactants that make water 'slipperier', making seals and o-rings less effective at keeping water (and soap) out of the device. The worst I'd recommend is using a micro fiber cloth, and possibly some clean water to clean the watch, and take the band off to clean the band thoroughly.

My TAG is a 'dive watch', and yet they really advise strongly against wearing it in the shower. The oceans, and lakes (at least so far) aren't contaminated with so much soap to be a bother... Still, rinse anything that has been in the salt water in fresh clean water as soon as you get out of the water.

I agree. Normally after I'm done working in the yard I just take the bands off, wash them separately, then clean up the watch as needed.

I guess the point of my comment was that I don't see the effectiveness of wearing it in the shower in order to clean it off.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I've worn mine in the pool and the ocean, and even wore it all day at a major water-park while I went on every ride. I'd say its pretty waterproof. I added a pro diver strap for kicks. :cool: if it gets water damage so be it. I'm thinking that the issue may be that inconsistencies in manufacturing could make some less water resistant than most... who knows.
View attachment 569067

It would be embarrassing if those inconsistencies were causing Apple to be so sketchy on their water resistant opinions/ratings...

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

TIL:

Thank you for this wonderful insight!

Handsome Bacon

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Someone actually did this already. Held up fine. FTR I've gone swimming, changed sprinkler heads, showered etc with it and it still works. Had it a month now.

140ft didn't kill it.

Why oh why oh why has no one simply taken the watch, down (or in a pressure vessel to simulate depth)
And see (perhaps using 2 or 3 cheap sports models) how far down the watch can go before it fails?

I say use 3, as you then could get a reasonable average as otherwise one may give an unreliable indication.

Whilst I'm not suggesting it would be a good idea, it would be interesting and informative to see at what depths they all failed.

Reactions: Piggie

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
You are welcome, Ben.
No, I am just a pen collector (like watches, but that's another story). I had my first Fisher Space Pen in the 70s.

@LordVic: You are most welcome!
That's awesome. I have a couple fisher space pens. I went to the HQ down here in Vegas and looked at all their pens and purchased a few. Great pens.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I spent a week on vacation in Turks & Caicos. I tested the watch in chlorinated pools and in the ocean!

The bulk of my time on the island was spent in water. At first, I tested it quickly in a pool at about 6ft depth. It didn't seem to have any problems. By mid week, I was routinely swimming with the watch and using it as a remote for the poolside sound system connected to my iPhone 6 Plus.

The big test was the very salted water of the ocean (you can practically sit in the water and float). I went snorkelling for about an hour and left my Watch on. No damage.

While it did survive unscathed, it was useless under water as the UI was not intended for water use. Both the touch screen and the wrist turning sensors performed noticeably poorer or not at all. There was however a benefit of controlling music, checking the time and receiving messages while wading in the pool (not under water).

In a future Watch update, it would be great if a water mode UI would take over when the Watch gets wet, turning off the multi touch interface and instead allowing rudimentary control with the digital crown instead. Perhaps showing the time, depth and other useful analytics permanently on the screen in a high contrast yellow on black UI.

I think it's safe to say that the Apple Watch is indeed water proof and there's nothing to worry about at all from getting it wet.

Last edited:
Reactions: luckyblue

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I spent a week on vacation in Turks & Caicos. I tested the watch in chlorinated pools and in the ocean!

The bulk of my time on the island was spent in water. At first, I tested it quickly in a pool at about 6ft depth. It didn't seem to have any problems. By mid week, I was routinely swimming with the watch and using it as a remote for the poolside sound system connected to my iPhone 6 Plus.

The big test was the very salted water of the ocean (you can practically sit in the water and float). I went snorkelling for about an hour and left my Watch on. No damage.

While it did survive unscathed, it was useless under water as the UI was not intended for water use. Both the touch screen and the wrist turning sensors performed noticeably poorer or not at all. There was however a benefit of controlling music, checking the time and receiving messages while wading in the pool (not under water).

In a future Watch update, it would be great if a water mode UI would take over when the Watch gets wet, turning off the multi touch interface and instead allowing rudimentary control with the digital crown instead. Perhaps showing the time, depth and other useful analytics permanently on the screen in a high contrast yellow on black UI.

I think it's safe to say that the Apple Watch is indeed water proof and there's nothing to worry about at all from getting it wet.

Ah, but I think that Apple was playing safe by not overplaying the 'water resistance' of the Apple Watch. That way, they can just say 'Well, we never said it was water resistant that way' and then declare that it died due to abuse.

I'd recommend that anyone that has had their watch flood, should be very extra special nice to the Apple Store Genius when they bring it in for 'service'. Like remove the seaweed, and fish guts from it... ;)

I've heard people with TAG Heuer watches that have been left paying for major service for their watch because it 'flooded'. Stuff like sunscreen and mosquito repellant can either eat the seals directly, or cause them to not work as well. DSLR camera cases, so I have been told, declare the warranty void if the seals have been exposed to such things.

So, use your head, and be careful... :):apple:

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England

You may think your Apple Watch is undamaged. Think again.

All that salt water contains many impurities that will seep into the innards and slowly corrode the components. This will reduce its lifespan. If you're lucky, it won't affect you, but it will affect its resale value.

ivandr

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
You may think your Apple Watch is undamaged. Think again.

All that salt water contains many impurities that will seep into the innards and slowly corrode the components. This will reduce its lifespan. If you're lucky, it won't affect you, but it will affect its resale value.

I could agree if you had said that the salt water could eat away at the material forming the waterproof seals (ie orings around digital crown, o ring between screen & body, material sealing speaker and mic), but you said the innards. If the device is waterproof (ok fine "water resistant" according to Apple) the innards of the device are all behind seals and inaccessible to fresh or salt water.

Just like with dive gear if you're careful and rinse it in plain fresh water afterwards before its had time to dry (allowing the salt to crystalize on those sealing components) the end effect is the same as rinsing your watch under the tap after a sweaty workout (as suggested by Apple). You could likely swim in the ocean daily for several years as long as you followed that process and always rinsed the watch off well without any permanent effect.

Oh and if the watch is functional when being resold there's no way that anyone would know or could assert that the watch had been exposed to salt water. Yes if you're selling a broken watch (broken screen or flooded due to a failed seal) it will impact resale value as you're essentially selling it for parts at that point.

:rolleyes:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I could agree if you had said that the salt water could eat away at the material forming the waterproof seals (ie orings around digital crown, o ring between screen & body, material sealing speaker and mic), but you said the innards. If the device is waterproof (ok fine "water resistant" according to Apple) the innards of the device are all behind seals and inaccessible to fresh or salt water.

Just like with dive gear if you're careful and rinse it in plain fresh water afterwards before its had time to dry (allowing the salt to crystalize on those sealing components) the end effect is the same as rinsing your watch under the tap after a sweaty workout (as suggested by Apple). You could likely swim in the ocean daily for several years as long as you followed that process and always rinsed the watch off well without any permanent effect.

Oh and if the watch is functional when being resold there's no way that anyone would know or could assert that the watch had been exposed to salt water. Yes if you're selling a broken watch (broken screen or flooded due to a failed seal) it will impact resale value as you're essentially selling it for parts at that point.

:rolleyes:

It's not just the salt. Ocean water, depending on where you are, can have a lot of other stuff in it, from fuels, to solvents, to human waste.

And, YES, very much YES, there are times when 'just the ocean water' CAN eat seals, and seep around them, especially if the sealed parts are used while under that water.

But anyway...

Apparently next years Olympics is going to be swimming with the turds more than the fish...

DISGUSTING isn't the word. Tragic falls far off too...

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
Just a quick report: I took mine on our yearly trip to Sardinia this August and tested it in depth (literally).
I was wearing the watch intentionally all day, during swimming, snorkelling and bathing of all kinds (sea, pool, whirlpool). Nothing happened, - the watch is functioning as it did on its first day. Of course, I rinsed it, even washed with some non-agressive liquid soap after every sea water contact/swim.

So the experiment goes on, but so far I am really impressed. The only arguments, Apple didn't advertise it as a swimmer's watch could be:

- touch interface hard to use, when wet.
- heart rate monitor can only measure correctly, if there is no water between it and your wrist. So, as the consequence, I just tightened the sports band as far as possible to get it in place. It seemed to do the trick.

Reactions: luckyblue
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.