Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Sweat, not water is the reason why I don't exercise with my Apple Watch; I took it on one run but couldn't operate the screen due to sweat. Back to using my Nike SportWatch GPS that I've had since 2011.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
At this price point, my expectation always was that Apple benchmarked appropriately for water resistance and aimed for a higher performance rating than they quote (promise low and deliver high here is a great customer satisfaction move.)

I've worn mine in the shower twice but then thought about the high mineral content in the water here and was afraid that it might reduce speaker and mic performance, as well as lead to crown-shaft to o-ring leaks, due to residue building up and making the membranes stiff as well as abrading the o-ring to crown shaft seal (and possibly affect the apple pay button).

Then I thought about shaking it to get the water off before it could dry and leave residue, but was concerned that such could centrifugally drive water past the o-ring seal.

In the end, with a Milanese loop, it is pretty easy to take off before the shower. (Although I would like to use it for swimming.)

Other than that, I like it (wish the speaker was louder and I could use it directly for FaceTime audio calls). My 82 y/o mom and 50 yo sister both, with unique use cases and needs, love theirs.

Watch: 42mm Sport with Milanese loop.

Last edited:

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
I've worn it 5 times going down our local river on a paddle board or kayak. I've worn it in the pool over ten times. I'm sure something could happen to it, but I haven't had a problem. Either way, I have applecare, so I'm not worried about it. I really like being able to track my activity. After 3 to 5 hours on the river I can burn over 1000 calories.

I do wish the "other" workout was more accurate. Whether I'm kayaking or lifting weights, the heart rate is really inaccurate. When I use the "outside run" workout, it's spot on. I know the watch doesn't know what I'm doing when I'm lifting weights for example, but why is the HR monitor showing 70 bpm when I know I'm over 140.

View attachment 568722 View attachment 568723

Nobody cares weird man.

Jakeycov

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
I've worn mine in the shower twice but then thought about the high mineral content in the water here and was afraid that it might reduce speaker and mic performance, as well as lead to crown-shaft to o-ring leaks, due to residue building up and making the membranes stiff as well as abrading the o-ring to crown shaft seal (and possibly affect the apple pay button).

Then I thought about shaking it to get the water off before it could dry and leave residue, but was concerned that such could centrifugally drive water past the Irving seal.

Wow. You do worry a lot!

Reactions: jgelin

luckyblue

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
Nobody cares weird man.

... uh... this is a thread about whether it should be worn in the water. I thought it might help to share my experience. Isn't that what these boards are for?

Care to classify what you mean by weird? We're you picked on as a kid? Not sure what would drive you to try and bring someone down for no reason.

Last edited:

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
... uh... this is a thread about whether it should be worn in the water. I thought it might help to share my experience. Isn't that what these boards are for?

Care to classify what you mean by weird? We're you picked on as a kid? Not sure what would drive you to try and bring someone done for no reason.

You picked the wrong thread sadly. Lots of children here but bedtime comes soon for them. Don't waste your time asking them to clarify.

tk1337

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
Florida
Well, I took my Apple Watch for a small dive in the Bahamas, 30-45ft for about an hour, no issues. Mid dive I turned it on & checked the time several times, worked fine, still works today. I was slightly nervous about it at first, but it held just fine.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I've never understood why people wear watches in the shower. Is it that difficult to take off prior to showering?

Wash them. I'm serious, you wear a watch all day, building up sweat, by wearing your watch in the shower or bath, it actually gets a gently clean. If you never wash it , muck build up.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Wash them. I'm serious, you wear a watch all day, building up sweat, by wearing your watch in the shower or bath, it actually gets a gently clean. If you never wash it , muck build up.

You can wash it once in a while in the sink. Showering with it on a daily basis is overkill.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I can understand using wearing the watch while showering maybe, but the number of people swimming and doing water activities with the watch on despite no claims of being waterproof is crazy to me. I just hope that if/when the watch does get water damage they don't come here trying to blame Apple.

Key word "seems."

It's a risk, but that's why I got AppleCare Plus. The cost to replace it is a fraction of the orignal price. Also, some folks are financially blessed and won't miss a few hundred bucks.

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
Speaking of inaccurate results, I'm really disappointed in the "other" workout. I've used that while cutting the grass and have forgotten to end the workout at times. It keeps racking up insane amounts of calories and logging exercise time -- all while I'm sitting on my ass. I've even went through an entire hour and not gotten stand credit, but got 60 minutes of exercise credit during that time. I tried doing discard when I finally noticed, but it still logged it and screwed up all of my achievements by granting me many of them for me not doing squat. :-(

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

AreanFSL

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
Well, I took my Apple Watch for a small dive in the Bahamas, 30-45ft for about an hour, no issues. Mid dive I turned it on & checked the time several times, worked fine, still works today. I was slightly nervous about it at first, but it held just fine.

Good to know. I would be a bit nervous 45ft down. Happy it still works. :)

Bsmith1991

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2015
Very good article! I guess it is good that the company is not boasting too much. My peeps over at Affimity would love to read this.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I don't think its only the Apple watch that would stand out in erratic touches.

It would be ANY touch device, if water proofed....

If the iPad was water-proof, it too would suffer the same since your hands are wet..... Touch ID doesn't work well either if your hands are sticky....

It's common sense.. But maybe people do expect it to still function, just because the watch is water proof..

Hey,,, we like to assume..

patjem

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Barcelona
Intersting read, especially cleaning the watch after a workout. The watch gets dirty (sweat) and that may cause strange behavior

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
But it is guaranteed water resistant, so if you did take it out on any kind of water activity you could just say you showered with it and the resultant fault happened.
So you want people to fraudulently claim a replacement?

Promius

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
Sweat, not water is the reason why I don't exercise with my Apple Watch; I took it on one run but couldn't operate the screen due to sweat. Back to using my Nike SportWatch GPS that I've had since 2011.

really? I run/bike/lift weights with my watch. Just wipe your hand on your shorts/shirt before using. My gods.

luckyblue

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010

Wow! You really went 30 to 45 feet deep? I've been to the bottom of the pool, but that's a whole nother story! Good to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.