Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
SiliconAddict said:
Hell at this point I'd be happy if Apple gave us the features that are on iTunes. Apple comes out with iTunes 5.0 with cascading playlists and they don't even update the freaking iPod to support the same. Defeats the purpose if you aren't going to trickle this much needed feature down to your music player. :(
icon_confused.gif

I totally agree! Thats one thing they should update in the apple iPod firmware,

All my songs are Playlist driven, I assume most people use that!

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Chundles said:
That's OK, next person to say it gets their Mac replaced with my old 633MHz Celeron with 256MB RAM running XP Pro on a 15GB HDD that's gathering dust at my folks' house.

Heyyyyyy... thats the exact same computer i've been using since 2001 - except with Windows ME. I'm using it now :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
MacSA said:
Heyyyyyy... thats the exact same computer i've been using since 2001 - except with Windows ME. I'm using it now :)

I got mine in 2001 with ME. The difference with 256MB RAM and XP was incredible. It was like I had a totally new machine.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
MacSA said:
That's one Winders I refuse to use.

I call it "Windows You" because it will never be on my PC. :D

However, Winders 98SE, 2K and XP are fine.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
sushi said:
That's one Winders I refuse to use.

I call it "Windows You" because it will never be on my PC. :D

However, Winders 98SE, 2K and XP are fine.

It was truly awful. Hated it from the start. XP was awesome compared to that POS.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Chundles said:
It was truly awful. Hated it from the start. XP was awesome compared to that POS.
Ya got that right!

Then again, I thought 98SE and 2K were much better as well.

One nice thing about 2K is that you can run it on a more minimalistic system vice XP. Drivers is the issue. XP is much better than 2K in that regard. And now with XP w/SP2, many issues with XP have been improved if not solved.

...but I still prefer X or 9.2 by a long shot.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
sushi said:
Ya got that right!

Then again, I thought 98SE and 2K were much better as well.

One nice thing about 2K is that you can run it on a more minimalistic system vice XP. Drivers is the issue. XP is much better than 2K in that regard. And now with XP w/SP2, many issues with XP have been improved if not solved.

...but I still prefer X or 9.2 by a long shot.

My preferences run:

1. OS X
2. Daylight
3. XP
4. OS 9 and below.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Chundles said:
I got mine in 2001 with ME. The difference with 256MB RAM and XP was incredible. It was like I had a totally new machine.

Mine crashed within 1 hour of me setting it up ... I had to unplug it as it wouldn't respond, I thought i'd broken it already lol. :eek:

liquidh2o

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2004
Alabama
After some thought, i wouldn't mind it if Apple modeled a redesigned shuffle around their IR remote.

That thing feels great in your hands, is lightweight, thin, but could be a little less wide.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
MacSA said:
Mine crashed within 1 hour of me setting it up ... I had to unplug it as it wouldn't respond, I thought i'd broken it already lol. :eek:

I had mine plugged into my college network for nearly a year before we had a virus warning out and we all had to get anti-virus software. My first scan turned up 286 occurrences.

The remote is very cool. I think if Apple ever released a version of Front Row for all Macs it could tie in with the Universal Dock and the remote. I wish you could navigate menus on the iPod with the dock and the remote though. It kinda sucks that you have to start a song playing before you can use the remote. You can pre-select a playlist but when you hit play on the remote it starts at the top of your library. Very frustrating.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Peace said:
Windows ME was pure vaporware.Just like Microsoft Bob was.

Vapourware means it was constantly rumoured but never released (Asteroid anyone?). ME and Bob were released, they were just crap.

Is crapware a term?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Chundles said:
Vapourware means it was constantly rumoured but never released (Asteroid anyone?). ME and Bob were released, they were just crap.

Is crapware a term?

you're correct but

in the Windows world vaporware means it came and went like a vapor and was put out just for general purposes..

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Peace said:
you're correct but

in the Windows world vaporware means it came and went like a vapor and was put out just for general purposes..

Oh right, fair enough.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Nudging this thread back into iPods, I think the shuffle shouldn't gain a screen. It just needs to be compact and cheap to make, as it's only holding a 1GB of music. It would be nice if they improved the battery too, 24 hour playback anyone? :)

Nepenthe

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Minnesota
sorry, but...

doogle said:
OK they will probably not update the iPod but I want to get this prototype idea in early before someone else thinks of it. Widescreen ipod with a scroll ball (like on the mighty mouse) insted of a click wheel! Change the screen settings and the back-lit buttons change their name/function!

check it...
scrollpod_widescreen.jpg

Hate to break it to you...
http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:Videoipodfake_3.jpg

So uh-huh... "Apple should" totally add a screen... and a click wheel... and a world clock and calendar and FM tuner. Then they call it the "Nano mini" or "atom" or "micron" or whatever. :p

If I am working out, biking, snowboarding, land lugeing, flying, walking or doing god knows what else (activities for which a shuffle is best suited) the last thing I am interested in is navigating a bunch of menus to choose a song. Actually I leave my iPod "face out" in my pocket so I can adjust volume, skip, etc w/out having to take it out (which is one of my FAVORITE features of the iPod and something that no other players can do! -as well)

I hardly ever look at the screen on my 3G iPod. If I am walking or driving I ususally leave it on shuffle and skip forward if I feel like listening to a new track. Yeah it's nice to be able to have a screen just in case I don't recognize a track. However, that won't be as much of a problem on a small 1GB device.

The more junk they add to the Shuffle means more incentive taken away from the Nano. *Plus* a bunch of you have already mentioned how many other 1GB (with screen, whatever) players are on the market right now. Hello... market saturation? We all know how fiendish Apple is about releasing products for saturated markets (hint- they don't).
Remember "Think Different"? Seems to be working for Apple.

doogle

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Australia
Hate to break it to you Nepenthe but the design I posted is nothing like the well known one you link to, my design is with a scroll ball (big difference to the one you reference)...there are many possibilities that can be explored, this is just one of the many you are going to see.

I am glad you do not look at the screen while you are driving or walking! :D

Nepenthe said:
Hate to break it to you...
http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:Videoipodfake_3.jpg

So uh-huh... "Apple should" totally add a screen... and a click wheel... and a world clock and calendar and FM tuner. Then they call it the "Nano mini" or "atom" or "micron" or whatever. :p

If I am working out, biking, snowboarding, land lugeing, flying, walking or doing god knows what else (activities for which a shuffle is best suited) the last thing I am interested in is navigating a bunch of menus to choose a song. Actually I leave my iPod "face out" in my pocket so I can adjust volume, skip, etc w/out having to take it out (which is one of my FAVORITE features of the iPod and something that no other players can do! -as well)

I hardly ever look at the screen on my 3G iPod. If I am walking or driving I ususally leave it on shuffle and skip forward if I feel like listening to a new track. Yeah it's nice to be able to have a screen just in case I don't recognize a track. However, that won't be as much of a problem on a small 1GB device.

The more junk they add to the Shuffle means more incentive taken away from the Nano. *Plus* a bunch of you have already mentioned how many other 1GB (with screen, whatever) players are on the market right now. Hello... market saturation? We all know how fiendish Apple is about releasing products for saturated markets (hint- they don't).
Remember "Think Different"? Seems to be working for Apple.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
doogle said:
Hate to break it to you Nepenthe but the design I posted is nothing like the well known one you link to, my design is with a scroll ball (big difference to the one you reference)...there are many possibilities that can be explored, this is just one of the many you are going to see.

How is the scroll ball better than what Apple already has? Seems like it would be harder to use (and slower). :confused:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
doogle said:

The scroll ball idea sounds cool, and you can have brownie points for that, but the rest of it looks the same. If anything, this is a variation on that theme.

EricNau said:
How is the scroll ball better than what Apple already has? Seems like it would be harder to use (and slower). :confused:

I think it would be cool for zooming in and out of pictures, or perhaps some advanced video slow motion. I would hope the thought would be to keep the click wheel portion the same, and just "add" the scroll ball.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Fire Troy Wolverton!

This guy Troy Wolverton looks like he is about 17 year old!!

A truly flawed analysis. Didn't Apple just have a major to-do with Samsung - their flash memory supplier!

Since when does a company discontinue their higher capacity products in favor of less capacity.

Clearly "the street" is in need of Mac Rumors caliber analysis!! :)

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
good riddance, i always thought the Shuffles were the weakest point of the iPod line up. I mean, they don't even have a screen and Sonys with screens get a ton more battery life...sheesh. Compact is one thing, but if you aren't packing the function with it, you are making the wrong product. All i can say is at least Apple sold a good few and wasn't left with dead weight in their factories...:p

babuchan

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2005
La
ipod shuffle

EricNau said:
Good Drawing, but the scroll ball is not nearly as good as the current click wheel.
I think that the reason that apple hasn't released any ipod stuff is becasse they are going to release another redesign. I think that @ mwsf we will see a movie section on the itms, and the mini will be the front piece of the home system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.