Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Not to mention needing to add any mobile devices like iPhones or iPads to the cost mix, now the number of systems has grown by at least 4 for a total of 8 or 9 total systems.

The family pack was originally offered at a good price point which is why we grabbed it. Before we had individual licenses and also had only 2 computers at the time and only an iPhone each. Now each device needs a copy or access and that means additional cost.

People really seem ready to argue when there was no argument suggested. The family pack was only a question and it was noted about paying to be a beta tester is this was not a thing I was interested in. Did not say others shouldn't or couldn't do it. Just feels wrong to me.

Heck I remember doing beta test work for a product many years ago and for our efforts we were given a steep discount on the final product. This recognized the value and effort the beta testers put in and the value it added to the company to get a wide range of systems and user experiences. But AgileBits is asking the users to pay AgileBits to beta test AgileBit's products. Seems backwards to me.

Reactions: macjunk(ie)

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2015
Western NY
Everybody has their own perspective, but I see the beta pricing as a discount on the final product in exchange for helping us test, rather than "paying to beta test." But to each their own -- if you aren't interested in that it will certainly be possible to purchase a license once the stable version of 1Password 7 is released. :)

Also, as some others have pointed out... 1Password 7 is included for everyone who has an active subscription.

Ben

Reactions: Mr. Heckles

Ergates-thi-Ant

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2013
After my previous comment re being so against subscription, I've now ponied up for the family subscription. It has become worth it to me.
[doublepost=1523121659][/doublepost]Ben, how do I invite family members to use my subscription?

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Spent some time looking for a direct, not subscription, license on the website and cannot find a link to it. There is the subscription pricing for single or family. There is the other tab more for teams, businesses and corporate.

What's missing is any pricing for stand alone licenses. Maybe it is triggered from within the application but the website makes no mention of this pricing option and leaves new users to sign up for a subscription or find a different application.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Spent some time looking for a direct, not subscription, license on the website and cannot find a link to it. There is the subscription pricing for single or family. There is the other tab more for teams, businesses and corporate.

What's missing is any pricing for stand alone licenses. Maybe it is triggered from within the application but the website makes no mention of this pricing option and leaves new users to sign up for a subscription or find a different application.
I haven't installed it yet, but here it is from their blog:
https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/03/28/the-1password-7-beta-for-mac-is-lit-and-you-can-be-too/

Direct download:Download 1Password 7 Beta For Mac

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2015
Western NY

Thanks for your interest. What you’ve said is correct. We make standalone licenses available to folks who are familiar with that type of setup and want to continue but for new customers we are only marketing membership. At present Mac licenses are only available through the 1Password 7 for Mac beta program, with the expectation of help beta testing. If you are not interested in beta testing but would like to purchase a license I’d recommend waiting until v7 is released to purchase.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I love the app but I really hate where you guys are going with the licensing model. Just saying.
Where are thy going? They now offer 2 versions. I doing get why people freak out “omg they have a subscription model”, yes they do, BUT they ALSO have the standalone licenses ones too. Take your pick.

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2015
Western NY
I love the app but I really hate where you guys are going with the licensing model. Just saying.

Thanks for the feedback. We need to do what we can to ensure that AgileBits continues to be a sustainable company so that we can continue to offer the level of quality in service and software that folks have come to expect from us. We also want to be able to attract the kind of talent required to continue moving us forward. We’re certainly not the least expensive offering out there (there are free options), but we’re trying to be the best. We’re never going to be the best option for everybody. That just isn’t possible. But I think the decisions we make are well thought out and help us toward that goal. I’d encourage anyone who is shopping for a password manager to try out a bunch of options before making a decision. I hope you’ll agree with me that 1Password is great. But if not, and you find a different solution that you like better, that’s okay too. No hard feelings.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
@bwoodruff
Are you guys going to update/upgrade the iOS apps at the same time as you come out with the new v.7 on Mac?
What are your timetable for iOS?
I have 1Password both on iPhone and iPad, and of course Mac. A single person.

Just thinking if the pricing then will be worth it for a subscription.
Today it isn't at all.

Would be good to know your plans, before buying the 7.beta on Mac.

Reactions: TonyK

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2015
Western NY
1Password for iOS was the first of the native apps to receive the v7 upgrade. It is already on that version. If price is your primary consideration when choosing between the two we do have $125 membership gift cards on sale for $99 as of writing. Also if you’re looking into a subscription and are also looking to help us beta test please reach out to our sales team (`sales@1password.com`).

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'm pretty subscription-averse these days and got royally pissed when my favorite writing app, Ulysses, went from a single purchase to a "pay us forever" model. It's a frickin' writing app, and a mature one at that.It doesn't need a staff of developers noodling with it on my dime. So no, I'm not an easy sell on subscriptions.

But I will say this: 1Password, to me, is providing enough ongoing value to warrant subscribing to the Family subscription. I have a vault that's with me everywhere, as does my wife -- and we have a pool of shared passwords for household stuff. We couldn't do this with iCloud Keychain. 1Password is always synced and I am entrusting AgileBits to keep some very very important stuff secured. To my eye, it also works a lot more smoothly than something like LastPass which my wife (less tech savvy) was always having to fight against its less-intuitive interface. So yeah, a little pricey for sure, but I think this is a "you get what you pay for" product, at least in my opinion.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
I'm pretty subscription-averse these days and got royally pissed when my favorite writing app, Ulysses, went from a single purchase to a "pay us forever" model. It's a frickin' writing app, and a mature one at that.It doesn't need a staff of developers noodling with it on my dime. So no, I'm not an easy sell on subscriptions.

But I will say this: 1Password, to me, is providing enough ongoing value to warrant subscribing to the Family subscription. I have a vault that's with me everywhere, as does my wife -- and we have a pool of shared passwords for household stuff. We couldn't do this with iCloud Keychain. 1Password is always synced and I am entrusting AgileBits to keep some very very important stuff secured. To my eye, it also works a lot more smoothly than something like LastPass which my wife (less tech savvy) was always having to fight against its less-intuitive interface. So yeah, a little pricey for sure, but I think this is a "you get what you pay for" product, at least in my opinion.

One thing I want to point out with 1Password that a lot of people forget. We are always working to make 1Password's ability to fill into webpages better. Webpages are always changing. There are always new sites being created. There are always new technologies and weird side effects that happen due to a new site. Most people who aren't web developers or involved in the industry in some way realize is that login forms are not standardized in any way whatsoever. Our filling code can work on one site but fail miserably on another because of these types of things. At the very minimum we have to keep improving this part of the app, and it's an ongoing cost that I suspect most users never think about or consider when they look at 1Password.

Web browsers are a moving target. They often get updated every 6 weeks now and we have to make sure our extensions work in each browser, this is on top of trying to make sure 1Password fills into as many webpages as reliably as possible.

We also have to keep security in mind. Security isn't something that you deal with once and can forget about it.

This just scratches the surface of typical maintenance for us. So there's always an ongoing cost for us. We can't just put 1Password into a maintenance mode and throw a few hours a week at it. Even maintenance like the above is going to be full time jobs for many people across each platform (Mac, iOS, Android, Windows, and now Web with our 1Password.com service).

I don't know what other developers deal with specifically and can only talk specifically about 1Password, but I'm guessing there are ongoing costs for other developers as well that you might not be aware of. I'm sure some have more costs than us, and others less, but ours are pretty darn high in terms of making sure our users continue to have a reliable and secure experience with 1Password.

I also don't see any of the other password managers out there contributing on this forum like we do. I'm a little less available than I used to be but I moved from support to development so my workload is different and my tasks are different. I still try to pitch in when I can though. But in general we always have a few people keeping an eye on Macrumors and other sites to make sure our users are getting the help they need. We won't pretend to be the cheapest option out there, but we are, I think, the best option out there.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007

Couldn't agree more. I hate that everything is going subscription. But 1password is an example of an app that is totally worth it. I finally ponied up for the Family sub, too. My wife is set up, and I also just set up my daughter tonight. It's great piece of mind, and the app is worth every penny. I'll end up dropping most apps that are going subscription. But not this one.

Reactions: ignatius345

mgauss7

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Miami
1Password 6.6 for Mac: By Popular Demand

Today is big day for us here at AgileBits. Today we are making a change to how we distribute 1Password in the Mac App Store. Today 1Password becomes free with in-app subscription.

Link. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password-password-manager-and-secure-wallet/id443987910?mt=12&ign-mpt=uo=4

Notes.

What's New in Version 6.6
1Password 6.6 for Mac: By Popular Demand

Today is big day for us here at AgileBits. Today we are making a change to how we distribute 1Password in the Mac App Store. Today 1Password becomes free with in-app subscription.

Before we dive into that, though, let's go through the full list of what's new for those kind souls that just wish to get on with their day:

### New
- The Strong Password Generator now appears in the Touch Bar on the new MacBook Pro!
- 1Password.com accounts can now be created right from the initial setup screen.
- 1Password.com account subscriptions can now be purchased directly in 1Password.

### Improved
- When editing items there is now a Done button on the Touch Bar to save changes.
- The text on the Touch ID prompt has been clarified.
- We've added support for Yandex Browser's new code signature. {OPM-4751}
- 1Password no longer quits itself after restoring from backup. {OPM-4520}
- SplashID data can now be imported without having to convert the .vid file to UTF-8 {OPM-4349}

### Fixed
- Fixed an issue where the Quick Look button would hide too easily.
- Fixed instances where the Item Sharing menu would be incorrectly disabled. {OPM-3746}
- Resolved an issue that prevented the Share button in the item details from working. {OPM-4814}
- Attempting to use the Account Migrator on Mac OS X 10.10 would result in a crash. {OPM-4680}
- Restored the ability to search standard locations for existing 1Password data during setup.
- Fixed an issue with the progress indicator in the Account Authentication window. {OPM-4595}
- Dropping a file onto an item view to upload a related item no longer crashes on older macOS versions. {OPM-4639}
- A crash that could occur during Linked Item search has been eliminated. {OPM-4712}

## The Growing Popularity Of 1Password.com Accounts

As many of you know we've been hard at work on our hosted solution for quite some time now. 1Password.com has been an enormous success for us with thousands of new accounts being created every day.

We had a problem, though: The only way to get 1Password from the Mac App Store was a direct purchase, a purchase that didn't apply to one's 1Password.com account subscription. Naturally this caused a great deal of confusion for you, our awesome customers, and put us in a bit of a bind.

We set out on a quest to fix this problem, and with the help of some new features Apple announced at WWDC last year, we were successful! 1Password for Mac is now a free download in the Mac App Store. And when it comes due you can now pay for your 1Password.com account directly within 1Password using our new automatically renewing monthly in-app purchase subscription.

We've also made it easier than ever to get started with a 1Password.com account the first time you launch 1Password. Every account includes:

- Simple, automatic syncing among all your devices.
- Incredibly easy setup for new devices.
- Access to 1Password on all the platforms, including iOS.
- Free upgrades to 1Password for as long as your subscription is in good standing.
- Automatic online backups.

## To Our Loyal Standalone Customers

At this point some of you may be wondering, "What does this mean for me? I already bought 1Password from the Mac App Store!" Have no fear! If you purchased 1Password before this change you will not see any differences and will not be required to subscribe to 1Password.com. Of course we hope you'll choose to sign up, it really is the best way to use 1Password today.

1Password never prompts you for a review because we value your workflow too much to interrupt it. If you feel generous or have a couple of minutes, please leave a review. It makes a huge difference to us. Thank you in advance!

We love hearing from you! Get in touch with us at discussions.agilebits.com, @1Password on Twitter, and facebook.com/1Password.
[doublepost=1525314488][/doublepost]
One thing I want to point out with 1Password that a lot of people forget. We are always working to make 1Password's ability to fill into webpages better. Webpages are always changing. There are always new sites being created. There are always new technologies and weird side effects that happen due to a new site. Most people who aren't web developers or involved in the industry in some way realize is that login forms are not standardized in any way whatsoever. Our filling code can work on one site but fail miserably on another because of these types of things. At the very minimum we have to keep improving this part of the app, and it's an ongoing cost that I suspect most users never think about or consider when they look at 1Password.

Web browsers are a moving target. They often get updated every 6 weeks now and we have to make sure our extensions work in each browser, this is on top of trying to make sure 1Password fills into as many webpages as reliably as possible.

We also have to keep security in mind. Security isn't something that you deal with once and can forget about it.

This just scratches the surface of typical maintenance for us. So there's always an ongoing cost for us. We can't just put 1Password into a maintenance mode and throw a few hours a week at it. Even maintenance like the above is going to be full time jobs for many people across each platform (Mac, iOS, Android, Windows, and now Web with our 1Password.com service).

I don't know what other developers deal with specifically and can only talk specifically about 1Password, but I'm guessing there are ongoing costs for other developers as well that you might not be aware of. I'm sure some have more costs than us, and others less, but ours are pretty darn high in terms of making sure our users continue to have a reliable and secure experience with 1Password.

I also don't see any of the other password managers out there contributing on this forum like we do. I'm a little less available than I used to be but I moved from support to development so my workload is different and my tasks are different. I still try to pitch in when I can though. But in general we always have a few people keeping an eye on Macrumors and other sites to make sure our users are getting the help they need. We won't pretend to be the cheapest option out there, but we are, I think, the best option out there.
1Password allways messed up my passwords. Now I let Apple automatically do it and I've got now an iMac, three iPads, my iPhone and my Apple Watch perfectly synced. They also offer no voice support.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
1Password allways messed up my passwords. Now I let Apple automatically do it and I've got now an iMac, three iPads, my iPhone and my Apple Watch perfectly synced. They also offer no voice support.

iCloud Keychain is fine for a scenario where one person is syncing passwords among a few Apple devices, but if you wanted to share passwords or manage your family's online security you'd need something more.

Reactions: Ergates-thi-Ant

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
[doublepost=1525314488][/doublepost]

Did you ever contact our support team? We can't fix issues if we aren't aware of the problems. :)

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around

iCloud Keychain is fine for a scenario where one person is syncing passwords among a few Apple devices, but if you wanted to share passwords or manage your family's online security you'd need something more.
iCloud Keychain is a joke. I hope it’s better, but I lost all my passwords when I was using it. I got a new iPhone (I can’t remember which one) and I was setting it up. I got an error, and all passwords were gone.

I’ve been using 1Password for over 4 years now and worth every penny. I also use Mac, iPhone, Linux, Windows, and Android, so iCloud Keychain is useless to me now.

Reactions: ignatius345
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.