Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
o_O
Okay, awesome. I'm familiar with PRAM and SMC resets. I don't know why I didn't even think of that. This system isn't running anything my MacBook isn't, in fact it's running less, and that system suspends fine so I don't think it's a runaway process. I will check though.

I do like the cable-less solution! Maybe I'll eBay a RAID card on the cheap so I can R5 these disks. I read that installing OpenZFS on OS X may be a viable software solution too, but I need to do more reading up on it. Right now I have a Netgear ReadyNAS running R0 attached to the network for simple storage, but it'd be cool to have another 2TB of redundant storage directly attached to this system since I plan on using it to do video editing, graphics editing, and mostly audio recording in my home studio. GarageBand is really the #1 reason I prefer OS X over Windows. Well, that and the audio processing subsystem on OS X isn't garbage.

FYI I'm an IT director and have been working IT for like 18 years. Feel free to lay some technical stuff on me; I'll understand what you're saying.
In think only the Apple one is truly cable-less. Also there are a few revisions of the Apple one, so research may be required...

I try to keep blog posts simplified, lots of people read them. Good to know you're very technical :)
I have a few more years on you, I've been in the IT business for 30 years o_O (and I've just about retained my sanity!)

Reactions: plentyoftimeto69

spin498

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2010
I move around
Yes, grabbed the new NVIDIA drivers this aft. I've discovered, despite the driver overwrite I am able to boot into Safe Mode. I've run the update, and then booted into Safe Mode to update the NVIDIA drivers and that worked.

azimuthal

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
Some of the guys that were working with Pike split off into a new thread to concentrate on just the development and testing of Pike's frequent changes, "the developer thread". As these things go, the volunteers that were testing Pike's changes found that they needed to frequently wipe and re-install, me included, so I developed a bundle of scripts and items to ease the install of a new El Capitan. My innovation (if you want to call it that) was to find a way to patch the fresh install with Pike's efi files during the install. I called my bundle of scripts and items 'pikify3.1.zip'.

Since it is now well used and tested, I'll cross post here. The latest version pikify3.1.v8.zip will build install media with all the fixes in (but not including my Boot64 update protector, nor the equivalent pikeyosfix derivative CapitanPikeFix - see the next post). This version also excludes the boot.efi files from SIP-control (meaning SIP is running and protecting everything else, just not the boot.efi files).

So with pikify3.1 you will build an installer onto media, typically a USB memory stick, or a small disk partition.
You will then boot off the installer, to run the installation process. Once the installer finishes, you will have a working copy of El Capitan with no further need for changes. You can then choose to install the updated version of pikeyosfix now called CapitanPikeFix, or my Boot64 (both do pretty much the same thing), to allow you to run the Apple updates from either the App Store or from the DMG downloads.

READ ALL THE CAVEATS - memory, backup, fresh install, migration assistant, etc...

Use this if you have not yet installed El Capitan and you only have your Mac Pro available.

(If you have another "newer/compatible" machine available then you can attach your Mac Pro (disks) to this compatible Mac and install from there), otherwise....

This is the installer (starting point) if you only have your Mac Pro to work with...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST WAS AT POST #807 of the 'boot.efi developer's thread'

============= Edit =====================

It appears that MacPro1,1 and 2,1 need a lot of memory to achieve a successful install by this method. Others have kindly tested with varying configurations of RAM. See the later posts in the developers thread and my post at #855

A minimum of 12GB seems to be required...

============ end edit ====================

Hi @Inspector42, I'm glad you were able to use my script. I like your rsync idea!

Here is a new script and accompanying files. This one is based around Apple's createinstallmedia script.

The unique feature of this script is that it builds an installer which will pre-patch the resulting El Capitan volume. What this means is that the installer can be run, and then the reboot will work without any further modification. You have a working installation of El Capitan directly from the installer.

Download the zip file.
Unzip it.
You should have a folder named pikify3.1 (possibly with the version number pikify3.1.v2 etc)
In that folder should be a number of files, the script is createpikeinstallmedia. Keep all the files in one location. Some people have tried to use just the script on its own without the accompanying files and then come back for help because it didn't work. You can move the pikify3.1 folder wherever you please, just keep the contents of the folder together.

If you are not familiar with the Terminal and the command line, take a look at post #1569 it will probably help you.

Pre-requisites:

• As per Peter's guide, you will need a volume that can be overwritten by the installer
    • This could be a USB memory stick
    • A small disk partition from one of your hard drives (not the disk that you intend to use for El Capitan)
      • You need to be able to boot from this volume
  • The installer volume needs to be at least 8GB
  • Your copy of 'Install OS X El Capitan.app' should be located in your /Applications folder
  • The pikify3.1 folder contains both the black and grey variants of the boot.efi file. When unzipped the boot.efi file is the grey one, if you want to change to the black background variant, simply copy the black one over the boot.efi before you start. e.g.
    Code:
    cp -f boot_black_3_1.efi boot.efi
Usage:
  • Open a terminal window
  • Change directory to the pikify3.1 folder from the zip file. Let us assume that you downloaded the zip file to your Downloads folder and unzipped it there. (If you have put the pikify3.1 folder somewhere else, please alter the path to suit your location)
  • Change [InstallerVolumeName] to the name of the USB memory stick or your small disk partition. For example if you are using a USB memory stick and it shows on the desktop with the name Untitled, then replace [InstallerVolumeName] with Untitled so that the path reads /Volumes/Untitled
Code:
cd ~/Downloads/pikify3.1
  • You need to run the script as the root user
Code:
sudo -s
[your password]
./createpikeinstallmedia /Volumes/[InstallerVolumeName]

• OR
Code:
sudo ./createpikeinstallmedia /Volumes/[InstallerVolumeName]
[your password]
  • OR (optionally switch to the black background variant before you start)
Code:
sudo -s
[your password]
cp -f boot_black_3_1.efi boot.efi
./createpikeinstallmedia /Volumes/[InstallerVolumeName]

Be patient, the script will take some time to run through to completion, especially if your installer volume is a USB memory stick!

Once the script completes it will print ### DONE PIKIFYING ### and you should have an installer volume named 'Install OS X El Capitan'

--------------------- EDIT -----------------------------------------------
Some users have reported that after building a pikify3.1 USB memory stick they cannot boot their MacPro from it. Typical symptoms are that when rebooting, holding the ALT key immediately after the chime, enter the boot selector, choose the USB memory stick to boot from, yet the system then boots to the main OS from the hard disk(s), or the screen is blank (possibly showing the folder with a question mark).

I have replicated this on my machine. Here is what works for me....

After you build your pikify3.1 USB memory stick, but before you attempt to boot from it, try ejecting it, physically unplug it, wait a few seconds, then re-plug it in allowing it to mount.

Doing this seems to work for me. I think the important thing is to physically remove (power down) the device. It's a good old fashioned hardware restart.

-------------------- end EDIT ------------------------------------------
  • Reboot your MacPro with the newly created install media (partition or USB stick) attached
  • Hold the ALT key down immediately after the startup chime to enter the boot chooser
  • Choose the Install OS X El Capitan volume
    • For those people with graphics cards that don't show the boot screens
      • If you are using a USB stick (and it's the only one attached), then get to the boot chooser as above then press the left-arrow key once, followed by the return/enter key. (Removable media generally shows up last in the horizontal list, pressing the left arrow key takes you from the automatic first entry and wraps the highlight round to the other end of the list, which is usually where the USB stick is presented).
      • If you're using a small disk partition, the get to the boot chooser as above then press the right-arrow key once, followed by the return/enter key). If you have just your main disk and the installer volume this should work. If you have more than just those two, experiment pressing the arrow key more than once until you find the installer volume!
      • OR, consider getting hold of a DVI-vga adaptor. You should be able to find one of your DVI ports that will send out a VGA signal (to a VGA connected monitor) and show you the boot screen.
  • Your machine should boot into the Installer, run the installer
    • You may need to click the Reboot button at the end of the install (for some reason, the 10 second countdown doesn't seem to automatically start)
  • Your machine should reboot into the new El Capitan Installation and begin the OS X setup procedure.
============== edit ===============
I made a video! I hope you like it...

I used my iPhone for the second half, apologies for the moire patterns.

I decided to start from my MacPro running 10.7.x Lion, since this is the last officially supported version.
The only difficulty for people is to get hold of a copy of Apple's "Install Mac OS X El Capitan" app. I recommend using a newer "supported" Mac and then copying it to the MacPro....

One of the steps in the video shows me formatting my hard disk drive, do not do this step if you have data on your hard disk (unless you have a backup and are prepared to wipe the drive)

============== end edit =============

I have only tested this script as a clean install onto an erased destination disk. I don't know if it will work for an upgrade. I have successfully updated a Yosemite clean install to El Capitan.
If you are upgrading I would suggest a clean install of El Capitan onto a spare disk, then use the Apple Migration Assistant to migrate your previous system and user files.
If you are brave and want to try an in-place upgrade, make sure you backup your current system first...

Detail:

I created an additional package (pikify.pkg) which handles the post-install modification of the boot.efi files on the destination volume. The script puts pikify.pkg into the InstallESD.dmg, along with OSInstall.collection.
OSInstall.collection overrides the default behaviour of the Installer Assistant, it calls the default OSInstall.mpkg and appends pikify.pkg to the install chain.

In effect I'm running the exact same installation as an unmodified Apple install with the addition of my pikify.pkg.

Because the default behaviour has been overridden, there are a few differences:
  • An unmodified Apple installer will open with the /System/Installation/CDIS/OS X Utilities.app
    • The modified installer goes straight into the Installer
  • An unmodified Apple installer will automatically reboot 10 seconds after the installation completes
    • The modified installer doesn't, you will have to click the Reboot button
I've included both versions (black and grey) of Pike's 3.1 boot.efi file. If you want to change the colour, overwrite the boot.efi file in the pikify3.1 folder with the coloured version of your choice. The zip file unpacks with the grey version in place.

Enjoy...

======================== UPDATE ================================

The original Apple BaseSystem.dmg appears to be missing a number of fonts. This causes the installer log file to fill up with thousands of unnecessary lines complaining about the missing fonts. I've updated the installer creation script to fix the missing fonts. It just makes the log file smaller and easier to read and follow.

See pikify3.1.v2.zip in the attachments...

==================== ANOTHER UPDATE =============================

I figured out how to set up El Capitan so that we can make it survive an Apple update. See my post at post #1391

I've modified the pikify3.1 set so that those changes are automatically applied.

I'll leave v2 here in case anyone is paranoid, and doesn't want the slight lowering of SIP's security blanket!

==================== Version 5 ===================================

V5 includes some mods to the SIP exclusion paths file

==================== Version 7 ===================================
(includes version 6, which added support for home-baked fusion drives)
V7 adds error checking and a bit of an explanation to start

==================== Version 8 ===================================
V8 adds a check to ensure there is a copy of the Apple Install OS X El Capitan application located in the Applications folder!

==================== Version 9 ===================================
All previous versions would first write the Install media, and then modify that content. If the Install media is a USB memory stick, all those operations are slow due to the USB bus speed.

V9 attempts to speed up the operations. It will modify the /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app on the hard disk first (faster), and then write the contents to the USB memory stick. There is only one write across the USB bus.

Plus, the modifications are left in place. The script will detect if the copy of Install Mac OS X El Capitan has already been modified, giving you the option to reset to the Apple version, or to continue. If you choose to continue it will skip the modifications (because they're already present) and simply write a new copy to your USB memory stick (or installer partition)

It should be quicker :)

==================== Version 10 ==================================
Version 10 adds a check to see if the InstallESD.dmg and/or the BaseSystem.dmg are already mounted, if so it tries to detach them.

WARNING: It seems some people have tried V10 and it has caused problems. I'm re-posting V8 whilst I investigate....

==================== Version 11 ==================================
Version 11 fixes the issues with v9/v10. Basically I made an error in design when I created v9/v10. The resulting files were too big to fit onto an 8GB memory stick. Sorry folks!!

If you downloaded v9 or v10, please rapidly place them in their new home (the trash can), and re-download V11, it will now work much better :)

++++++++++++++++ MD5 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MD5 (pikify3.1.v2.zip) = 80333eda8eecc3094f06d175bdba0a64
MD5 (pikify3.1.v8.zip) = 8ef0cf2b34e9c6751c0f1ac99b40dadc

MD5 (pikify3.1.v11.zip) = 7402feaa1ef48747c3908890b9fbe254

Hi, I am trying to update my Yosemite (Pike's boot.efi) Mac Pro 1,2 to ElCap using this updated Pikify3.1.v11.zip against the most recent download of the El Capitan install and I'm getting the following output message after the script runs in Terminal:

"platformPluginDictionary: Can't get X86PlatformPlugin, return value 0"

Does anyone have advice as to why this could be happening?

I do get the notice "######### DONE PIKIFYING ###########" indicating that the script was successful, however, when I try to launch it I get the OS X El Capitan banner that says, "This version of OS 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer."

The only thing I can think of os that my OS X Yosemite I had installed Pike's boot loader (using the PikeYosiFix from #1) which is serving its purpose just fine, however, I was wondering if that is interfering with this.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep scanning the forums for any hints.

Thanks,

Azi

Last edited:

plentyoftimeto69

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Tampa
o_O
In think only the Apple one is truly cable-less. Also there are a few revisions of the Apple one, so research may be required...

I try to keep blog posts simplified, lots of people read them. Good to know you're very technical :)
I have a few more years on you, I've been in the IT business for 30 years o_O (and I've just about retained my sanity!)

30 years! Wow! I'm starting to get burnt out as I approach 20 years. I'm seriously considering a career change.

In other news, I got the 660 installed just now and all my video woes are gone. This old beast runs pretty damn well for its age now!

plentyoftimeto69

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Tampa
After the video card swap and the SMC/PRAM reset sleep mode works fine. Sweet! Now the only thing not working for me is Airdrop. How do I get that going?

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
After the video card swap and the SMC/PRAM reset sleep mode works fine. Sweet! Now the only thing not working for me is Airdrop. How do I get that going?
Ah, it think that does require the wifi/bt card upgrade...
[doublepost=1469207759][/doublepost]
Hi, I am trying to update my Yosemite (Pike's boot.efi) Mac Pro 1,2 to ElCap using this updated Pikify3.1.v11.zip against the most recent download of the El Capitan install and I'm getting the following output message after the script runs in Terminal:

I do get the notice "######### DONE PIKIFYING ###########" indicating that the script was successful, however, when I try to launch it I get the OS X El Capitan banner that says, "This version of OS 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer."

The only thing I can think of os that my OS X Yosemite I had installed Pike's boot loader (using the PikeYosiFix from #1) which is serving its purpose just fine, however, I was wondering if that is interfering with this.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep scanning the forums for any hints.

Thanks,

Azi
Did you watch the video?

That error message is weird. I've never seen anything like it. Can you describe the steps you are taking? Perhaps post some pictures / screen grabs....

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK

Thanks,

Azi
Have you tried a fresh install onto a clean drive? This may eliminate anything to do with Yosemite and leave your Yosemite install intact. Also a good idea to have a working OS other than El Capitan to drop back into should you need to if anything ever breaks.

azimuthal

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
Have you tried a fresh install onto a clean drive? This may eliminate anything to do with Yosemite and leave your Yosemite install intact. Also a good idea to have a working OS other than El Capitan to drop back into should you need to if anything ever breaks.

Thanks all. I hadn't tried a clean install, I only have one SSD and was trying to just upgrade. I created a backup but at this point I'm going to try a fresh install and see what happens. I'll post with my results. Thanks again.

Azi

synaptech

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
Canada
Do either of the memory cards have a red led lit when running?

Just popped it open. Yes I have a red light on one card. Looks like the 2nd ram module on lower card -- I'll reseat it and test again. I'm new to this machine, thank you very much for the help.

So after several resets and reseatings it looked like it was fixed, but came back. I have pulled the ram pair and have replaced with a 2x1GB pair. Would be too bad if I bought a bad 2x4GB pair.

Last edited:

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
Thanks all. I hadn't tried a clean install, I only have one SSD and was trying to just upgrade. I created a backup but at this point I'm going to try a fresh install and see what happens. I'll post with my results. Thanks again.

Azi
I have always installed on a fresh drive - they are cheap and mean if it goes wrong you still have a working system to fall back to. Once I knew everything worked I installed onto an SSD after building a new installer. Good luck.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.

Azi
I just Googled your error message. I think you can safely ignore it. At the end of the createpikeinstallmedia script, I added a check to identify the machine and the amount of RAM in the machine, I use the command line version of system profiler. My intent was to warn the user if the machine is a MacPro and it has less than the recommended 12Gb of RAM.

For some users, this use of the system profiler seems to have issues. Since it's just a convenience check, it can be ignored.

If you want to help me out, please let me know what version of Mac OS X you were running on when you ran createpikeinstallmedia and what model of Mac....

synaptech

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
Canada
Ok I successfully installed El Capitan (pikify3.1.v11 USB) and then tried to upgrade to newest version as I've read a few recent posts saying it went smooth. I can't get back to the ElCap partition. I boot into recovery or my Lion disk. Can someone point me to the recovery method? Looks like I have to restore my boot.efi, but I'm not sure how and if I should have backed it up (is it on my recovery partition?).

Post 1391 seems to indicate the boot.efi protection should be in place.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Ok I successfully installed El Capitan (pikify3.1.v11 USB) and then tried to upgrade to newest version as I've read a few recent posts saying it went smooth. I can't get back to the ElCap partition. I boot into recovery or my Lion disk. Can someone point me to the recovery method? Looks like I have to restore my boot.efi, but I'm not sure how and if I should have backed it up (is it on my recovery partition?).

Post 1391 seems to indicate the boot.efi protection should be in place.
Steps 1-4 are in place. You still need the other steps....

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Anybody have a suggestion? If this thing ran Airdrop it'd be perfect. I was chopping up some band videos on this thing today and it worked a treat.
With the stock Airport card (Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x87), Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.16)) your Mac Pro would display the Airdrop in the Finder menu, however I was unable to transmit anything to/from. Tried with 5 phones, 3 iPads, 7 computers, no go.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Anybody have a suggestion? If this thing ran Airdrop it'd be perfect. I was chopping up some band videos on this thing today and it worked a treat.
Page 1 post #1, Mr. Zarniwoop wrote some details on the wifi/BT
[doublepost=1469361336][/doublepost]
Looks like I have to restore my boot.efi, but I'm not sure how and if I should have backed it up (is it on my recovery partition?).
Hello synaptech,

Take a look 2 pages back, post #2590
Look for the blue text then the code box

Just out of curiosity, when you say 'tried to upgrade to newest version', what version did you start from and how did you upgrade (Mac App Store, or download from the Support web site)?

Last edited:

Eagalution

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2016
Hi All. I was upgrading my Mac pro 1.1 from Lion to El Capitan. I was using pikify3.1.v8 and followed the video tutorial by rthpjm. THANK YOU!!! Now I want to update, but I get from the App Store an error saying that update is not available for my Apple ID... Any idea what shall I do... (and in any case; will an update work for me after the upgrade to El Capitan?

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 18.44.58.png

Again! Big Big thank you for all the good people, helping here!!! <3

synaptech

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
Canada
rthpjm said:
Take a look 2 pages back, post #2590
Look for the blue text then the code box

Just out of curiosity, when you say 'tried to upgrade to newest version', what version did you start from and how did you upgrade (Mac App Store, or download from the Support web site)?

Ok going back to start process from beginning.

I tried to update through the apple app store after the initial install of ElCap

EDIT - Got it!!! Thank you! Now running ElCap 10.11.6. Now just to figure out my XFX R9 280x...

Last edited:

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
Hi All. I was upgrading my Mac pro 1.1 from Lion to El Capitan. I was using pikify3.1.v8 and followed the video tutorial by rthpjm. THANK YOU!!! Now I want to update, but I get from the App Store an error saying that update is not available for my Apple ID... Any idea what shall I do... (and in any case; will an update work for me after the upgrade to El Capitan?

View attachment 641679

Again! Big Big thank you for all the good people, helping here!!! <3
Have you tried logging out of your Apple account and logging back in? Not sure why it would throw this message as it is a free update and I have never seen this before. Are you running Boot64 (or similar) as this will protect the boot.efi files from being overwritten although whether this may happen appears to be dependent on which version you are going from. What version are you currently running? The other update available on your screenshot is for iPhoto which doesn't run in El Capitan so I am confused as to why it is being offered as an update. I assume you are trying to download the El Capitan Update from El Capitan?

Have a look here - there seems to be a similar issued that is caused by iPhoto being installed which caused the same error you are seeing...
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7303899?start=0&tstart=0

Be careful if you have lots of pics in iPhoto still.

Last edited:

aoshi2012

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2016
Hello, newbie here, I've been trying to use the pikify method to make the installer for El Captain but each time I try the terminal keeps error in gout at the end with either saying the boot.efi won't transfer over or install media tool had an error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

aoshi2012

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2016
I have tried with a different sub drive as well as a partitioned secondary hard drive and it keeps giving me the error. This is the last bit before the error occurs

Adding resources...
.........................................................................................................................................
Elapsed Time: 5m 53.735s
File size: 6079159444 bytes, Checksum: CRC32 $EDC52DA5
Sectors processed: 13037600, 12557796 compressed
Speed: 17.3Mbytes/sec
Savings: 8.9%
created: /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
\nRunning Apple's createinstallmedia tool...
./createpikeinstallmedia: line 553: /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: Bad CPU type in executable

\n\n=================================================================================================================================
==
==\tERROR
==
=================================================================================================================================
==
==\tA problem occurred when creating the install media with Apple's createinstallmedia tool
==\tThe most common issue is that the installer volume could not be unmounted because some other process is using it
==\tClose all other windows (especially terminal windows) and try again
==

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.