Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
Are the RAM chips actually hot and triggering the burst of fan speed or is it just a quirk of the wake process. I guess having temp monitor running and checking temp immediately when waking from sleep would help. Just checked and after around 40+ mins of sleep RAM is around 10 degrees cooler than before sleep - ambient temp is up slightly as no air is passing through the case during sleep.

Last edited:

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Are the RAM chips actually hot and triggering the burst of fan speed or is it just a quirk of the wake process
No, just checked them again, they're at 40-45C max when awaking from sleep (when the burst happens) and when idling or under heavy load (when the fans are barely over idle speeds 50-150rpm) they're 75-80C. So that can't be it.

Just FIY, these are the modules that came with my Mac - ones that doesn't have temp sensors or any kind of reading in monitor apps (only Memory banks were shown with them installed). With them only, i had stock speeds always (600, 500, 600 and 500 rpm).
IMG_1064.jpg

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
I have the same type of RAM but 8x4gb and I get temp readings - the attached is just after wake and also normal running - the higher ambient is the reading after wake from sleep. CPU MEM fan at 771rpm

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 01.38.27.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 01.38.27.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 124

EpiV1988

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
Benton, AR
So I decided to make a video....

I used my iPhone for the second half, apologies for the moire patterns.

I decided to start from my MacPro running 10.7.x Lion, since this is the last officially supported version.
The only difficulty for people is to get hold of a copy of Apple's "Install Mac OS X El Capitan" app. I recommend using a newer "supported" Mac and then copying it to the MacPro....

One of the steps in the video shows me formatting my hard disk drive, do not do this step if you have data on your hard disk (unless you have a backup and are prepared to wipe the drive)

I follow every step yet get those same parts not working.

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
Are you installing on a new HD? When you say USB isn't working is it with any usb device or just your hard drives? Have you checked the spec of your BT card in system profiler / about this Mac and tried turning off / on and re-pairing devices?

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
I follow every step yet get those same parts not working.
Hi EpiV1988,

Then I think we can be fairly certain that your issues are specific to your machine.

One last thing for you to try before we start in on the hardware itself:

Try rebooting into "safe mode"
Reboot, when you hear the chime hold down the shift key, keep it down until the boot screen progress bar appears, you should then be able to let go.

Your Mac will start with just the Apple core (minimum) software, and the minimal set of config (e.g. No hardware accelerated graphics). Check to see if your USB is now working....

daavYo

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2016

Now I would like to get airdrop working on it. It has no bluetooth or wifi. Any suggestions ? Do I need a pci card for this or is there a usb dongle that has both and can handle airdrop ? That way I could also use it on my mid 2010 macbookpro.

i installed a wifi card in my MacPro 1.1
cost me 22 €
it's a little bit tricky to get those tiny electric wires on the card but not very difficult
didnt get the bluetooth though
very satisfied with it

of course u can find usb dongle, but it takes an usb entry on the mac...
maybe the best solution if u want to use it on another machine

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
Yes i did, it was a breeze after reading few topic here and on netkas' forum.
Also, there are people here that will help you with that if you're afraid to edit BIOS yourself (counting myself in).
Best bet for flashing are cards with reference board and outputs (DVI, HDMI and two mDP). The ones i see most used are Sapphire, MSI and Gigabyte.

I hear you regarding upgrading this machine, but i try to look at it like this - upgrades that are "locked" to this machine are CPU and RAM, everything else you can (and hopefully will) transfer to another machine when the time comes. :)
Hi again,
if looking for a 7950 to flash, do the fan designs make a difference as to which one is best for a Mac Pro. The "official" Mac version has just one fan but PC versions often seem to have more. Do they all function in the same way - exhausting out of the back? Also, some appear to have 6 and 8pin power connectors - do some PC cards have 2 x 6 pins?

daavYo

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2016
Hi again,
if looking for a 7950 to flash, do the fan designs make a difference as to which one is best for a Mac Pro. The "official" Mac version has just one fan but PC versions often seem to have more. Do they all function in the same way - exhausting out of the back? Also, some appear to have 6 and 8pin power connectors - do some PC cards have 2 x 6 pins?

(i once knew an ant from a mac Forum, no bull !!)

hi Ant
i bought somme pc cards recently 5770, 5850, 6870
they all have 1 fan, & 1 or 2 six pins connectors
the 5770 i have, has 2 working DVI connectors after flashing
(original mac has only one)

mateo107

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2016
For some reason - no matter what I do - when I finish creating the pikify-ed USB installer for El Capitan, it gives me an error saying "OS X could not be installed on your computer" "OS X El Capitan is already installed on this mac"

I've tried with the v8 pikify zip and v2.

I've got my Macbook Pro running El Capitan, with the Install El Capitan in the Applications folder.
I've got the pikify zip extracted to my downloads folder.
I use a USB stick that is called "Untitled" ... and the pikify script runs with no errors...

I've also tried to do this from my mac mini running 10.7... same setup except the OS running the script is 10.7.

Is there any other solution for me to install this?

Some of the guys that were working with Pike split off into a new thread to concentrate on just the development and testing of Pike's frequent changes, "the developer thread". As these things go, the volunteers that were testing Pike's changes found that they needed to frequently wipe and re-install, me included, so I developed a bundle of scripts and items to ease the install of a new El Capitan. My innovation (if you want to call it that) was to find a way to patch the fresh install with Pike's efi files during the install. I called my bundle of scripts and items 'pikify3.1.zip'.

Since it is now well used and tested, I'll cross post here. The latest version pikify3.1.v8.zip will build install media with all the fixes in (but not including my Boot64 update protector, nor the equivalent pikeyosfix derivative CapitanPikeFix - see the next post). This version also excludes the boot.efi files from SIP-control (meaning SIP is running and protecting everything else, just not the boot.efi files).

So with pikify3.1 you will build an installer onto media, typically a USB memory stick, or a small disk partition.
You will then boot off the installer, to run the installation process. Once the installer finishes, you will have a working copy of El Capitan with no further need for changes. You can then choose to install the updated version of pikeyosfix now called CapitanPikeFix, or my Boot64 (both do pretty much the same thing), to allow you to run the Apple updates from either the App Store or from the DMG downloads.

READ ALL THE CAVEATS - memory, backup, fresh install, migration assistant, etc...

Use this if you have not yet installed El Capitan and you only have your Mac Pro available.

(If you have another "newer/compatible" machine available then you can attach your Mac Pro (disks) to this compatible Mac and install from there), otherwise....

This is the installer (starting point) if you only have your Mac Pro to work with...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST WAS AT POST #807 of the 'boot.efi developer's thread'

============= Edit =====================

It appears that MacPro1,1 and 2,1 need a lot of memory to achieve a successful install by this method. Others have kindly tested with varying configurations of RAM. See the later posts in the developers thread and my post at #855

A minimum of 12GB seems to be required...

============ end edit ====================

Hi @Inspector42, I'm glad you were able to use my script. I like your rsync idea!

Here is a new script and accompanying files. This one is based around Apple's createinstallmedia script.

The unique feature of this script is that it builds an installer which will pre-patch the resulting El Capitan volume. What this means is that the installer can be run, and then the reboot will work without any further modification. You have a working installation of El Capitan directly from the installer.

Download the zip file.
Unzip it.
You should have a folder named pikify3.1 (possibly with the version number pikify3.1.v2 etc)
In that folder should be a number of files, the script is createpikeinstallmedia. Keep all the files in one location. Some people have tried to use just the script on its own without the accompanying files and then come back for help because it didn't work. You can move the pikify3.1 folder wherever you please, just keep the contents of the folder together.

If you are not familiar with the Terminal and the command line, take a look at post #1569 it will probably help you.

Pre-requisites:

• As per Peter's guide, you will need a volume that can be overwritten by the installer
    • This could be a USB memory stick
    • A small disk partition from one of your hard drives (not the disk that you intend to use for El Capitan)
      • You need to be able to boot from this volume
  • The installer volume needs to be at least 8GB
  • Your copy of 'Install OS X El Capitan.app' should be located in your /Applications folder
  • The pikify3.1 folder contains both the black and grey variants of the boot.efi file. When unzipped the boot.efi file is the grey one, if you want to change to the black background variant, simply copy the black one over the boot.efi before you start. e.g.
    Code:
    cp -f boot_black_3_1.efi boot.efi
Usage:
  • Open a terminal window
  • Change directory to the pikify3.1 folder from the zip file. Let us assume that you downloaded the zip file to your Downloads folder and unzipped it there. (If you have put the pikify3.1 folder somewhere else, please alter the path to suit your location)
  • Change [InstallerVolumeName] to the name of the USB memory stick or your small disk partition. For example if you are using a USB memory stick and it shows on the desktop with the name Untitled, then replace [InstallerVolumeName] with Untitled so that the path reads /Volumes/Untitled
Code:
cd ~/Downloads/pikify3.1
  • You need to run the script as the root user
Code:
sudo -s
[your password]
./createpikeinstallmedia /Volumes/[InstallerVolumeName]

• OR
Code:
sudo ./createpikeinstallmedia /Volumes/[InstallerVolumeName]
[your password]
  • OR (optionally switch to the black background variant before you start)
Code:
sudo -s
[your password]
cp -f boot_black_3_1.efi boot.efi
./createpikeinstallmedia /Volumes/[InstallerVolumeName]

Be patient, the script will take some time to run through to completion, especially if your installer volume is a USB memory stick!

Once the script completes it will print ### DONE PIKIFYING ### and you should have an installer volume named 'Install OS X El Capitan'

--------------------- EDIT -----------------------------------------------
Some users have reported that after building a pikify3.1 USB memory stick they cannot boot their MacPro from it. Typical symptoms are that when rebooting, holding the ALT key immediately after the chime, enter the boot selector, choose the USB memory stick to boot from, yet the system then boots to the main OS from the hard disk(s), or the screen is blank (possibly showing the folder with a question mark).

I have replicated this on my machine. Here is what works for me....

After you build your pikify3.1 USB memory stick, but before you attempt to boot from it, try ejecting it, physically unplug it, wait a few seconds, then re-plug it in allowing it to mount.

Doing this seems to work for me. I think the important thing is to physically remove (power down) the device. It's a good old fashioned hardware restart.

-------------------- end EDIT ------------------------------------------
  • Reboot your MacPro with the newly created install media (partition or USB stick) attached
  • Hold the ALT key down immediately after the startup chime to enter the boot chooser
  • Choose the Install OS X El Capitan volume
    • For those people with graphics cards that don't show the boot screens
      • If you are using a USB stick (and it's the only one attached), then get to the boot chooser as above then press the left-arrow key once, followed by the return/enter key. (Removable media generally shows up last in the horizontal list, pressing the left arrow key takes you from the automatic first entry and wraps the highlight round to the other end of the list, which is usually where the USB stick is presented).
      • If you're using a small disk partition, the get to the boot chooser as above then press the right-arrow key once, followed by the return/enter key). If you have just your main disk and the installer volume this should work. If you have more than just those two, experiment pressing the arrow key more than once until you find the installer volume!
      • OR, consider getting hold of a DVI-vga adaptor. You should be able to find one of your DVI ports that will send out a VGA signal (to a VGA connected monitor) and show you the boot screen.
  • Your machine should boot into the Installer, run the installer
    • You may need to click the Reboot button at the end of the install (for some reason, the 10 second countdown doesn't seem to automatically start)
  • Your machine should reboot into the new El Capitan Installation and begin the OS X setup procedure.
============== edit ===============
I made a video! I hope you like it...

I used my iPhone for the second half, apologies for the moire patterns.

I decided to start from my MacPro running 10.7.x Lion, since this is the last officially supported version.
The only difficulty for people is to get hold of a copy of Apple's "Install Mac OS X El Capitan" app. I recommend using a newer "supported" Mac and then copying it to the MacPro....

One of the steps in the video shows me formatting my hard disk drive, do not do this step if you have data on your hard disk (unless you have a backup and are prepared to wipe the drive)

============== end edit =============

I have only tested this script as a clean install onto an erased destination disk. I don't know if it will work for an upgrade. I have successfully updated a Yosemite clean install to El Capitan.
If you are upgrading I would suggest a clean install of El Capitan onto a spare disk, then use the Apple Migration Assistant to migrate your previous system and user files.
If you are brave and want to try an in-place upgrade, make sure you backup your current system first...

Detail:

I created an additional package (pikify.pkg) which handles the post-install modification of the boot.efi files on the destination volume. The script puts pikify.pkg into the InstallESD.dmg, along with OSInstall.collection.
OSInstall.collection overrides the default behaviour of the Installer Assistant, it calls the default OSInstall.mpkg and appends pikify.pkg to the install chain.

In effect I'm running the exact same installation as an unmodified Apple install with the addition of my pikify.pkg.

Because the default behaviour has been overridden, there are a few differences:
  • An unmodified Apple installer will open with the /System/Installation/CDIS/OS X Utilities.app
    • The modified installer goes straight into the Installer
  • An unmodified Apple installer will automatically reboot 10 seconds after the installation completes
    • The modified installer doesn't, you will have to click the Reboot button
I've included both versions (black and grey) of Pike's 3.1 boot.efi file. If you want to change the colour, overwrite the boot.efi file in the pikify3.1 folder with the coloured version of your choice. The zip file unpacks with the grey version in place.

Enjoy...

======================== UPDATE ================================

The original Apple BaseSystem.dmg appears to be missing a number of fonts. This causes the installer log file to fill up with thousands of unnecessary lines complaining about the missing fonts. I've updated the installer creation script to fix the missing fonts. It just makes the log file smaller and easier to read and follow.

See pikify3.1.v2.zip in the attachments...

==================== ANOTHER UPDATE =============================

I figured out how to set up El Capitan so that we can make it survive an Apple update. See my post at post #1391

I've modified the pikify3.1 set so that those changes are automatically applied.

I'll leave v2 here in case anyone is paranoid, and doesn't want the slight lowering of SIP's security blanket!

==================== Version 5 ===================================

V5 includes some mods to the SIP exclusion paths file

==================== Version 7 ===================================
(includes version 6, which added support for home-baked fusion drives)
V7 adds error checking and a bit of an explanation to start

==================== Version 8 ===================================
V8 adds a check to ensure there is a copy of the Apple Install OS X El Capitan application located in the Applications folder!

++++++++++++++++ MD5 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MD5 (pikify3.1.v2.zip) = 80333eda8eecc3094f06d175bdba0a64
MD5 (pikify3.1.v8.zip) = 8ef0cf2b34e9c6751c0f1ac99b40dadc

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
Does the installer actually get created? The error message seems to imply you are trying to install onto the Macbook and not actually creating the installer onto a USB stick. Have you followed the recent video created by rthpjm?

mateo107

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2016
I've watched the video and everything goes the same, except that when I select the boot option on my macpro. after I select "install OS X.." i get my error message. Everything up until that point is the same.

After sleep on mine the fans come up on full speed for a small minute or so.
I suppose the ram chips are still powered during sleep and get kinda warm........
Would it be better to not use sleep and always shutdown, or leave running ? or can these ram chips handle a bit off warmth ?
During normal operation fans are a bit louder than normal. ( before ram upgrade )
gonna look for smc fan control now

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
I've watched the video and everything goes the same, except that when I select the boot option on my macpro. after I select "install OS X.." i get my error message. Everything up until that point is the same.
So, you are getting the error message about El Capitan being installed already at the point you are trying to install from the USB stick onto a clean HD or SSD. Have you tried pulling all other drives except the drive you wish to install onto?

mateo107

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2016
Yes. I am getting the error at the point I'm trying to install from the USB key onto a blank HDD. No other drives are present other than my SSD drive I'm trying to install to, which is blank, and the USB key that has the installer on it that has been pikified.

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
(i once knew an ant from a mac Forum, no bull !!)

hi Ant
i bought somme pc cards recently 5770, 5850, 6870
they all have 1 fan, & 1 or 2 six pins connectors
the 5770 i have, has 2 working DVI connectors after flashing
(original mac has only one)
I have a 5770 (genuine Mac version) but had seen some of the PC cards had 8 pin power cables so good to know some are all 6pin.
[doublepost=1465512051][/doublepost]
Yes. I am getting the error at the point I'm trying to install from the USB key onto a blank HDD. No other drives are present other than my SSD drive I'm trying to install to, which is blank, and the USB key that has the installer on it that has been pikified.
Do you have the 12GB of RAM needed? Would be odd if this caused this error but a common issue in failed installs.
If all OK with this it could be the installer that isn't created properly. I would reformat the USB and download another copy of the installer from the MAS and try again. There wasn't another copy of the installer in the applications folder on your Macbook that had already been used was there?

Last edited:

dfritchie

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2015
Hi again,

Mine has 2x6 pin connectors and 2 fans

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.

Hello mateo107,

It sounds like you are not booting into the USB stick. Can you please confirm the following:
  • The USB memory stick is attached to your MacPro (not your MacBook)
  • You reboot the MacPro, hold the Alt key when you hear the chime
  • You enter the boot selector
  • You select the USB memory stick to boot from
  • When booted, you are immediately presented with a running copy of the installer (you don't need to double-click anything)
  • You move through the installer to the disk chooser, you choose a disk that does not yet have El Capitan installed

mateo107

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2016
To respond to both - yes - the machine has 16GB RAM actually.
And yes, I am booting from the USB stick... there's nothing else to boot to on my MacPro - the only HDD in it is re-formatted wth no data on it. So I'll confirm the steps with you anyway . :)

• The USB memory stick is attached to your MacPro (not your MacBook): Correct - I'm upgrading the MacPro not the Macbook
  • You reboot the MacPro, hold the Alt key when you hear the chime - I don't hear the chime (I think my internal speaker is broken) but once I see the apple logo - I hold down the ALT key
  • You enter the boot selector - At the boot selector my only option is from my USB key "Install OS X El Capitan"
  • You select the USB memory stick to boot from - So yes, I select that option
  • When booted, you are immediately presented with a running copy of the installer (you don't need to double-click anything) - Yes, I am presented with the installer, but here is where it immediately says 'cannot install as it's already installed'
  • You move through the installer to the disk chooser, you choose a disk that does not yet have El Capitan installed - can't select a disk to move through because it doesn't let me get this far.

AND it does seem to be creating the installer correctly... at least, the it says it finishes correctly and doesn't give me any errors. And like I've said, I've tried this from my MacBook Pro running El Cap already and also from my MacPro thats' running 10.7 as well as with the pikifier v8 and v2

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
Do you have another OS on another drive you could swap or add to the Mac Pro? Just wanted to check if it booted OK into Yosemite or Snow Leopard or Lion and gave the start-up chime. The chime at start could be a broken speaker but I think it can also indicate a hardware fault. I just wanted to be sure the faulty speaker could be verified.

With the multiple Usb installers you have created have you used the same downloaded El Cap installer from Apple each time or have you tried downloading again? Just wondered if the file could be corrupt in some way even though it makes an installer it doesn't work properly.

Have you tried installing onto another HD to see if it changes anything?

I assume you have erased and formatted the new HD as described on the video?

mateo107

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2016
The only other OS I've tried so far is 10.7 on the MacPro. I know that one boots (also with no 'ding'). 10.7 runs fine - no issues.

I've used the same El Cap installer. I'll see about re-downloading it and trying that way.
Yes, I've tried two different HDDs, my SSD and a plain-jane SATA HDD, both clean erased, same problem.

Does the pikify i'm using work with 10.10? I could try getting that installed instead of El Cap to see if it changes the behavior.

If I have made the installer with Pikify and boot into 10.7. Can I run the "upgrade" installer from within OS 10.7, instead of booting off it? Might that help me here, perhaps?

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
Hi, I would try redownloading the installer but you will have to delete any copies of the installer on your Macbook (I assume) or it will not download as it thinks you already have it.

There is a separate thread on installing Yosemite that uses a slightly different method (don't mix the two) but there are a couple of pre-patched installers available to make it easier + a fix for updates (PikeYoseFix).

Updating from Yosemite to El Cap with the Apple installers is not recommended and may not even be possible - clean install is easier to fix - usually anyway.

JazzerAlto

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2015
Hey guys, I am hoping someone will take mercy on me. Just got home from surgery and my Mac Pro went south with some kind of corruption and I re-applied the 10.11.5 combo update which rendered me unbootable. I can still boot into recovery. Can someone be kind enough to share the process to get the boot.efi files restored in the right places which in recovery? I think the pain meds are messing with my ability to figure this out.

Thanks in advance

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
it's all on P1 #1 The boot.efi files need to be replaced in the places noted.
Or here is more info... #2026
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Code:
Bless --info /Volumes/Install\ Mac\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan
You reboot the MacPro, hold the Alt key when you hear the chime - I don't hear the chime (I think my internal speaker is broken) but once I see the apple logo - I hold down the ALT key

Hello mateo07,

I know it can be annoying to have to confirm things. Unfortunately this is the only way I know when we're miles apart and working across time zones. Stay with me though....

You say you can't hear the startup chime, and you wait for the Apple logo. That's the only difference I can see.

Try this:
Reboot your MacPro
Since you can't hear chimes, try to time the following key presses with the point where your monitor first shows activity ( my monitor has an LED that illuminates when it gets activity)
Press and hold
Alt-Apple-P-R
Keep them down until the Mac reboots again, to reset the parameter RAM (PRAM)

You might now hear the chimes.
(FYI if the last time the Mac was used the volume was set to zero for the internal speakers, this value is typically held in the PRAM and persists, hence you get no chime. Resetting the PRAM will set the volume back to the out-of-the-box value which is non-zero)

If you see the Apple logo then the system is already booting from some partition.

Try again.

If it still fails, can you connect the USB stick to your MacBook, using the terminal

Code:
bless --info /Volumes/Install*

Post the result here please

mateo107

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2016
thanks RTH. I hope you didn't think I was being combative or argumentative. I'm very thankful for the help - because - while I am very technical (I'm a Mac/PC technician) I'm much more well versed in the PC land than the Apple land (shhhh, dont' tell anyone. ;) )

Anyway, I did reset the PRAM, but I'm going to try it again and I'll also try the bless command (something new that I've learned, hizzah!). Unfortunately, I can't try any of this until tonight, but I'll post back just as soon as I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.