Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
Ok, if you've just replaced the wireless hardware, first make sure that everything is installed/wired correctly. Follow a well-explained guide to do it (e.g. iFixit).

If you haven't changed your hardware, than do this to restore your original drivers.

Restoring original wireless drivers : tutorial
  1. download and install Kext Drop in your applications folder
  2. repair permissions with the disk utility
  3. open Terminal
  4. type diskutil mount "Recovery HD"
  5. type hdiutil mount /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/BaseSystem.dmg
  6. wait for the window to be displayed and copy IO80211Family.kext and IOBluetoothFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions to your desktop.
  7. close the recovery image Finder window
  8. open Finder and go to /System/Library/Extensions/
  9. delete IO80211Family.kext and IOBluetoothFamily.kext
  10. open Kext Drop
  11. from your desktop, drag and drop IO80211Family.kext into the window, click install. Do the same for IOBluetoothFamily.kext
  12. go back to terminal and type sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
  13. type sudo kextcache -system-caches
  14. repair permissions with the disk utility
  15. reboot
  16. activate continuity with latest version of the Continuity Activation Tool

If the steps above seem too technical, you may as well wait for the next version of Continuity Activation Tool which will do that for you. I hope this helps.

Hi, I followed these steps in installed original kext files from recovery disk. but when i run activation tool i still get same error saying "No active bluetooth hardware detected."

Rocky

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Hi, I followed these steps in installed original kext files from recovery disk. but when i run activation tool i still get same error saying "No active bluetooth hardware detected."

Rocky

Can you confirm these points:
  • Do you have a standard Mac or was there anything modified recently (e.g. new airport card)
  • Have you rebooted after reinstalling the drivers as in the instructions
  • After the reboot, was Bluetooth enabled/working

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
  • Do you have a standard Mac or was there anything modified recently (e.g. new airport card)

Hi,

I have early 2011 Macbook pro. I installed new CAX card yesterday and was never be able to get bluetooth running. yes. I have rebooted multiple times after i reinstalled it.

Rocky

----------

when I run activation tool diagnostics then below is what i see in my terminal server.

Verifying Mac model reference... OK. Known compatible Mac Model detected: MacBookPro8,1
Verifying OS X version... OK. Mac OS X 10.10 detected
Verifying Bluetooth hardware... NOT OK. No active Bluetooth hardware detected.
Verifying Mac board-id... OK. Long board id detected: Mac-94245B3640C91C81
Verifying active AirPort drivers... OK. Broadcom AirPort driver Brcm4331 is currently active
Verifying OS kext protection... OK. Developer mode is active.
Verifying kexts readability... OK. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth kexts were found and could be read
Verifying Bluetooth blacklist status... OK. Your Mac model is not blacklisted
Verifying Wi-Fi whitelist status... OK. Your board-id is not yet whitelisted. This tool can fix this.
Verifying old Wi-Fi kext presence... OK. Old Wi-Fi driver AirPortBrcm4331.kext is present. This tool can fix this.

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Hi,

I have early 2011 Macbook pro. I installed new CAX card yesterday and was never be able to get bluetooth running. yes. I have rebooted multiple times after i reinstalled it.

Ok, then the issue comes form your hardware installation, the tool acts as expected. It needs functional hardware in order to work. I'd sugget you open up your Mac again and verify your wirless card installation. Please check here, there are links to guides that will help you do this.

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
Ok, then the issue comes form your hardware installation, the tool acts as expected. It needs functional hardware in order to work. I'd sugget you open up your Mac again and verify your wirless card installation. Please check here, there are links to guides that will help you do this.

I followed exact same procedure per ifixit. How do i find out if my card is not a faulty card?

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014

Hi, I just verified my installation and everything looks good to me. I am attaching some pictures as well. Let me know what am I missing here.
I still get same message when I try to run activation tool as bluetooth hardware not detected.

Please Help!!!!!

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2014-11-06 09.55.33.jpg
    2014-11-06 09.55.33.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 2014-11-06 10.05.08.jpg
    2014-11-06 10.05.08.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 2014-11-06 10.05.17.jpg
    2014-11-06 10.05.17.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 168

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
The card i bought not from os-store, but written as BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX on the back. The front should be 607-8958

Any idea?

I bought exact same card and followed these instructions but I am not be able to get this going for me. I have message saying that bluetooth not available...
any suggestions or help.

Thanks.

webcrush

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
:eek:And how have you do it working with the dongle?
Everybody says with dongle it doesn't work.

Beats me, maybe they're all buying the wrong dongle. The one I bought from Amazon worked flawless after running the tool. I honestly didn't expect it to, but when it did, I wrote the authors telling them of this.

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
Hi, I just verified my installation and everything looks good to me. I am attaching some pictures as well. Let me know what am I missing here.
I still get same message when I try to run activation tool as bluetooth hardware not detected.

Please Help!!!!!

Thanks.

Anybody??? Please help. No Bluetooth working.

Thanks

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I bought exact same card and followed these instructions but I am not be able to get this going for me. I have message saying that bluetooth not available...
any suggestions or help.

Thanks.

Look in system profiler. BT should show in BT section as well as USB.

If it doesn't show up, tool can't help you.

Either card is bad or operator error.

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014

There is nothing in BT in system profile. it is blank.
Is there any other way to find out if the card is good or bad?

----------

This is the card I bought. Is this correct card. I says for mid 2011. not sure if it correct or not.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6294144011.html

Thanks.

skysurfer

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
There is nothing in BT in system profile. it is blank.
Is there any other way to find out if the card is good or bad?

----------

This is the card I bought. Is this correct card. I says for mid 2011. not sure if it correct or not.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6294144011.html

Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, these DO NOT work for the 2011 MBP

I think this was stated in this or another forum

I bought this one on ebay and it works for my 17" MBP Late 2011

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...012-AirPort-Card-661-6510-4CAX-/151455422782?

GL

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014

CarlosVR2

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
New Airport card problem

Hello everybody. Yesterday I installed the CAX card on my Late 2011 17" MBP.

Unlike some recent posters, Bluetooth LE was detected right away, but the Wi-Fi is missing. In the System Profiler, the Wi-Fi page doesn't show any hardware.

I have tried PRAM and SMC reset, and rebooting several times, but it has not worked.

I also booted Windows 7 (Boot Camp), with the same results: Bluetooth is OK, no Wi-Fi.

I swapped my old airport card back and Wi-Fi is detected, Bluetooth is detected too. I then installed the CAX card and, once again, Bluetooth LE is detected but Wi-Fi is not.

Any suggestions? Or is the card damaged?

Thanks!

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
Hello everybody. Yesterday I installed the CAX card on my Late 2011 17" MBP.

Unlike some recent posters, Bluetooth LE was detected right away, but the Wi-Fi is missing. In the System Profiler, the Wi-Fi page doesn't show any hardware.

I have tried PRAM and SMC reset, and rebooting several times, but it has not worked.

I also booted Windows 7 (Boot Camp), with the same results: Bluetooth is OK, no Wi-Fi.

I swapped my old airport card back and Wi-Fi is detected, Bluetooth is detected too. I then installed the CAX card and, once again, Bluetooth LE is detected but Wi-Fi is not.

Any suggestions? Or is the card damaged?

Thanks!

Where did you buy your card from? I had same issue but instead my Bluetooth did not wioek and wifi did. Inwas told that inhad weong card in my early 2011 MBP.

CarlosVR2

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Where did you buy your card from? I had same issue but instead my Bluetooth did not wioek and wifi did. Inwas told that inhad weong card in my early 2011 MBP.

I bought the card on eBay to the vendor "ibyqparts". They seem to be selling the right parts. Maybe mine was a defective one...

edwinm

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2014
Just another mention of a successful bcm94331pciebt4cax installation.

I upgraded my wireless card in my MacBook Pro early 2011 to the BLE version.

I ordered my chip from AliExpress.

I followed the instructions and now I have the new Yosemite features. I called my iPhone 6 and could take the call from my MacBook :)

The instructions (again) I followed after installing the card:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19332822

http://d-h.st/2eZ

1) open Terminal type sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
2) reboot your MBP
3) your wifi will not be working at this moment, replace the file IO80211Family.kext in Go>Computer>System>Library>Extension
4) open Terminal type as below:-
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
sudo chmod -R 644 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches
5) now reboot your MBP again.
6) now you will see System Preferences>General> will have handoff enable option
7) open Terminal type kextstat | grep AirPort

Now you will see
kextstat | grep AirPort
130 0 0xffffff7f82c62000 0x5df000 0x5df000 com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4360 (900.14.2) <129 47 46 12 7 6 5 4 3 1>
133 0 0xffffff7f83241000 0x1f3000 0x1f3000 com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4331 (800.20.24) <129 46 12 7 5 4 3 1>

Thanks to everyone who made this possible.

Edwin

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
Just an update from me as Yosemite was upgraded to 10.10.1 and "broke" the software fix for Handoff.

I kept the modified kext file that I edited myself. (I followed all the steps from mikecwest on post 509 where he was quoted.) I simply started from step 18 from his post (509) and finished the steps.

Everything works again! Simple & easy patch. BTW, I'm on a Macbook Pro 15" Early 2011 with the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX card in it.

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
Just an update from me as Yosemite was upgraded to 10.10.1 and "broke" the software fix for Handoff.

I kept the modified kext file that I edited myself. (I followed all the steps from mikecwest on post 509 where he was quoted.) I simply started from step 18 from his post (509) and finished the steps.

Everything works again! Simple & easy patch. BTW, I'm on a Macbook Pro 15" Early 2011 with the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX card in it.

Can you please send me a link from where you bought this card.

Thanks.

rocky29oct

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
I really wish I could!!! I bought it from a company that sells on eBay...and they are out of stock. #

Do you have a pictures of it. This is what I bought it did not work me at all and someone told me that I bought wrong card.

Attachments

• 2014-11-06 10.05.08.jpg
    2014-11-06 10.05.08.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 2014-11-06 10.05.17.jpg
    2014-11-06 10.05.17.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 150

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
Do you have a pictures of it. This is what I bought it did not work me at all and someone told me that I bought wrong card.

It sure looks like it should work! The number is the same on that card as it was on mine. Looks like it should work. I'd go through the entire process at post 509 on this thread. I followed it to a T and I've been working just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.