Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Keep in mind, the one's posted of Toshiba was 256GB and mine was only 128GB. There could be a difference because the more space you have on SSDs, the faster they usually are (at least sand force controllers acted like that)

I posted my toshiba 128gb results a page or 2 back

Was 228MB write, 201MB read.

I didn't bother with the random ones but it was similar to yours around 30MB and 180MB

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Purchased today: 13" i7 256GB SSD

SSD: Apple SSD SM256C
Display: LTH133BT01A03

Can someone confirm the parts when you have a moment - thanks!

Baycity

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Purchased today: 13" i7 256GB SSD

SSD: Apple SSD SM256C
Display: LTH133BT01A03

Can someone confirm the parts when you have a moment - thanks!

Im fairly certain those are both samsung, congrats.
I also JUST literally walked in the door from purchasing my mba 13 base model from the San francisco stockton store. I even got a student discount and didn't have to give proof. Anyway my specs are.
lcd
LP133WP1-TJA3

lg right? I don't care, it looks great to me.

Storage
APPLE SSD SM128C

samsung right? cool.. either way i wouldn't have returned it. I also cancelled my amazon order I just couldn't wait, i wanted to play with it on my night off and I'm using it now!

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Im fairly certain those are both samsung, congrats.
I also JUST literally walked in the door from purchasing my mba 13 base model from the San francisco stockton store. I even got a student discount and didn't have to give proof. Anyway my specs are.
lcd
LP133WP1-TJA3

lg right? I don't care, it looks great to me.

Storage
APPLE SSD SM128C

samsung right? cool.. either way i wouldn't have returned it. I also cancelled my amazon order I just couldn't wait, i wanted to play with it on my night off and I'm using it now!

I've done some side by side tests between my Toshiba and a friend's Samsung SSD... we noticed no functional difference, except in data transfers, even that, it's got to be a BIG file to make a difference, and interfacing over something other than USB. Not worth my time or effort to trade it back after doing the test, honestly.

mozy18

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Here is the xbench result for my 13" MBA i5

Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 1.04.59 PM.png

astrofaes

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Oh... why... did... I... click... on... this... thread... ?...

Mine is currently in transit- even when it arrives, if it has a Toshiba SSD/LG panel, I'm still keeping it as it really isn't worth returning and going through the whole lottery again.

Geetarpicker

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
After much debate between the 11" & 13" I eventually set on the 13" after three trips to the Apple store. However I changed my mind the day I ending up buying one and picked up an 11" ultimate instead. It truly is awesome in the portability department. After a bit of time though as much as I loved the small footprint, my eyes didn't do so well with the screen. Just a bit too hard for me to get used to such a short smalll area, I guess I should have gone with my initial gut feel about it. That said, my 11" i7 had a Toshiba SSD and screen so bad luck topped it all off.

Took it back and swapped for a 13" ultimate. Glad I did as it's just easier for me to deal with screen for the work I plan to do. This time I ended up with a Samsung screen, but yet another Toshiba SSD. To me the colors seem to pop better on this screen, though for me the size difference was my true motivation.

It also appears to run a bit cooler than my 11" which makes sense being there is just more room for cooling and more metal to dissipate the heat. However I haven't noticed much fan activity on either, but the 11" was just a little bit warmer after about the same amount of use though I'll admit I didn't have them side by side to truly compare.

Guess my luck hasn't been that good in this lottery, but I'm calling it done there!

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
After much debate between the 11" & 13" I eventually set on the 13" after three trips to the Apple store. However I changed my mind the day I ending up buying one and picked up an 11" ultimate instead. It truly is awesome in the portability department. After a bit of time though as much as I loved the small footprint, my eyes didn't do so well with the screen. Just a bit too hard for me to get used to such a short smalll area, I guess I should have gone with my initial gut feel about it. That said, my 11" i7 had a Toshiba SSD and screen so bad luck topped it all off.

Took it back and swapped for a 13" ultimate. Glad I did as it's just easier for me to deal with screen for the work I plan to do. This time I ended up with a Samsung screen, but yet another Toshiba SSD. To me the colors seem to pop better on this screen, though for me the size difference was my true motivation.

It also appears to run a bit cooler than my 11" which makes sense being there is just more room for cooling and more metal to dissipate the heat. However I haven't noticed much fan activity on either, but the 11" was just a little bit warmer after about the same amount of use though I'll admit I didn't have them side by side to truly compare.

Guess my luck hasn't been that good in this lottery, but I'm calling it done there!

How can I know which display panel is my MBA using?

aeror

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
MBA 11" i5 128gb ssd

SSD: TS128m
Screen: LP116WH4-TJA3

Looks like the worst of both huh?

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
From my Apple store

5 13' 128SSD

Displays: 2 Samsung, 3 Toshiba
SSD: 1 Samsung, 4 Toshiba

4 11' 128SSD

Displays: 2 Samsung, 2 Toshiba
SSD: 2 Samsung, 2 Toshiba

:eek:I ordered online, so I'm hoping I'll get the Samsung SSD at least.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
11" i7 "Ultimate" purchased from Houston Galleria Apple Store this morning.

SSD: SM256C
Display: LP116WH4-TJA3

Why would you NOT want to get the best components for your shiny new MBA?

Doesn't matter to me at all. I needed a small laptop that's convenient to travel with. The marginal difference in performance is irrelevant for my needs. Safari, Terminal, and iTunes performance will be the same.

rds

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Isn't this marvellous.. it appears everyone received a display and a storage device with their new system!

capreolis

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
I've got my new MBA 13" 256GB on Friday with the
  • TS256C Toshiba SSD and
  • LP133WP1-TJA3 LG Display
and I'm a bit disappointed until now :(

I don't care about the fastest SSD. The TS256C its fast enough for me. But what really disturbs me is the amazingly bad display panel.

The contrast seems to be as bad as on a 600€ Acer notebook I've got for the last week from the Intel TestIT 2011 program. Colors look washed out. While typing this message the white background has a light blue tint and the light gray areas get yellow. Plus, the viewing angles are worse than on the cheaper Acer notebook. I'm totally frustrated right now :mad:

Last year I switched from a 15" MBP to the 27" iMac and learned to love the great 27" iMac IPS panel with it's rich colors and great contrast. I haven't expected the MBA to be as good, but at least as good as my old MBP. It's disturbing looking at the screen and adjusting it's position all the time. No matter what I do, there's always one part of the display where the colors are washed out and gray tones get yellow and white gets a slightly blue shade.

Plus, as mentioned in another thread here on macrumors.com, there's a dark shadow on the bottom of the panel when viewing a bright website like this one in fullscreen - and a "white" shadow (clouding) when viewing a completely black picture fullscreen.

Damn, I've just bought a 1499€ MBA and got a display which is as bad as the ones you can find in all cheap Windows notebooks (excepting a few which are even worse, of course).

bigp9998

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
11" i7 "Ultimate" purchased from Houston Galleria Apple Store this morning.

SSD: SM256C
Display: LP116WH4-TJA3

Doesn't matter to me at all. I needed a small laptop that's convenient to travel with. The marginal difference in performance is irrelevant for my needs. Safari, Terminal, and iTunes performance will be the same.

Your second statement seems at odds with your decision to spend the extra $$ on the i7 processor. Your call obviously, just seems like overkill.

capreolis

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Unfortunate, any way you can return? Maybe as a defective item?

I've bought it directly from the Apple On Campus Store online, so it's possible to send it back. But it's no use to send mine back and buy a new one if every MBA with this LG panel is that bad and it's like playing roulette to get either a LG or a Samsung panel. In addition, no one in this or any other forum was able to show any comparison pictures of both a LG panel MBA and a Samsung panel MBA side by side.

I will go to an Apple Premium Reseller tomorrow and ask if I could check the displays of their new MBAs. Perhaps they've got some new ones with a Samsung panel so I can decide if this ominous Samsung panel is much better or not.

Can anyone please post pictures of a 13" LG and Samsung panel MBA side by side?

For the rest, I love my new MBA. But this panel is a no-go. Of course, a MBP would also be right for me, but currently I don't want to buy one, because of several reasons including
  • the low-resolution display in the 13" MBPs (the performance would be sufficient, but there's no BTO option for a higher resolution display; then I would buy it instantly provided that the panel is better then the one on my MBA)
  • the poor price-performance ratio of the 15" MBPs (a better equipped but 1cm thicker Dell XPS 15 with an even better 1080p FHD B+RGLED screen is over 600€ cheaper than the standard 15" MBP; I'm willing to pay more for Mac OS X and the design of Apple products, but 600€=70% more than current Windows pendants is overmuch) besides the fact that I would wait for the Ivy Bridge MBPs pro better battery life alongside up to 40% more CPU and GPU (Intel HD Graphics) performance and hopefully lower SSD prices until then.
  • the fact that the standard 15" MBP with high-resolution display (in order to achieve the same pixel density than my current MBA 13") and 256GB SSD costs 835€ more than the 13" MBA with equal 256GB SSD. That's beyond my budget.

Last edited:

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I've bought it directly from the Apple On Campus Store online, so it's possible to send it back. But it's no use to send mine back and buy a new one if every MBA with this LG panel is that bad and it's like playing roulette to get either a LG or a Samsung panel. In addition, no one in this or any other forum was able to show any comparison pictures of both a LG panel MBA and a Samsung panel MBA side by side.

I will go to an Apple Premium Reseller tomorrow and ask if I could check the displays of their new MBAs. Perhaps they've got some new ones with a Samsung panel so I can decide if this ominous Samsung panel is much better or not.

Can anyone please post pictures of a 13" LG and Samsung panel MBA side by side?

For the rest, I love my new MBA. But this panel is a no-go. Of course, a MBP would also be right for me, but currently I don't want to buy one, because of several reasons including
  • the low-resolution display in the 13" MBPs (the performance would be sufficient, but there's no BTO option for a higher resolution display; then I would buy it instantly provided that the panel is better then the one on my MBA)
  • the poor price-performance ratio of the 15" MBPs (a better equipped but 1cm thicker Dell XPS 15 with an even better 1080p FHD B+RGLED screen is over 600€ cheaper than the standard 15" MBP; I'm willing to pay more for Mac OS X and the design of Apple products, but 600€=70% more than current Windows pendants is overmuch) besides the fact that I would wait for the Ivy Bridge MBPs pro better battery life alongside up to 40% more CPU and GPU (Intel HD Graphics) performance and hopefully lower SSD prices until then.
  • the fact that the standard 15" MBP with high-resolution display (in order to achieve the same pixel density than my current MBA 13") and 256GB SSD costs 835€ more than the 13" MBA with equal 256GB SSD. That's beyond my budget.

I compared two in store under bright light, the LG seemed a bit washed out compared to the Samsung, but the whites were a bit clearer it seemed. Not amazing screens by any chance but unless you are getting IPS, it's tough these days. If you NEED a nice screen and need it to be portable your only options are the Vaio Z or Lenovo X220 (I think that's the model) with an IPS screen.

capreolis

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
I compared two in store under bright light, the LG seemed a bit washed out compared to the Samsung, but the whites were a bit clearer it seemed. Not amazing screens by any chance but unless you are getting IPS, it's tough these days. If you NEED a nice screen and need it to be portable your only options are the Vaio Z or Lenovo X220 (I think that's the model) with an IPS screen.

Thanks for your answer. I have to admit that I don't have to rely on 100% color fastness; I'm just a person who wants to get a usable screen. If gray turns yellow by looking more than 45° sidewise on the screen I don't complain anything at all. But if that begins to be seen just by sitting exactly in front of the screen and moving the panel a few degrees up and down, then it's crap.

The TN panel of my 2008 15" MBP was great in my opinion - of course not as good as the IPS panel of my 27" iMac I sold in favor of this new MBA, but good enough for me ;)

Does the Samsung panel achieve the quality of today's MBP panels?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.