Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
As far as I know, the only way to tell which SSD is installed is to open the box, boot the machine and check the system information. Did the employee open all of those boxes for you, or did he have some other way of identifying the SSD? Checking serial numbers or some such? I'm just curious because every post that I've read here says that the only way to know is to open the box, and I'd be amazed if an employee did that.

Sorry for a late response, but the employee let me boot up the machine and check the SSD myself. After I opened the first one that was a Toshiba, he looked at the serial number, and somehow knew how to tell how new the Air was based on the serial (he assumed all the newer ones would have Samsung). So when he went to the back to get the next one and sure enough it was Samsung.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Sorry for a late response, but the employee let me boot up the machine and check the SSD myself. After I opened the first one that was a Toshiba, he looked at the serial number, and somehow knew how to tell how new the Air was based on the serial (he assumed all the newer ones would have Samsung). So when he went to the back to get the next one and sure enough it was Samsung.

It does seem that there are fewer and fewer Toshiba SSDs being reported on new machines...It could be that Apple has gone through the remaining Toshiba SSDs already...

vkuber

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Just exchanged my MBA 13 for having a dead pixel.

Before I had Toshiba SSD and Samsung LCD.
After I have Samsung SSD and Samsung LCD.

Some reason the key's on the keyboard feel more rubbery. Is it just because its brand new?

:apple:

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Just picked up a 13" with samsung both LCD and HDD. Previous returned 11" had samsung HDD and toshiba LCD.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London

Some reason the key's on the keyboard feel more rubbery. Is it just because its brand new?

I was thinking the same thing about my samsung toshiba. I think I just got used to other keyboards waiting.

flight24

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
SM128C
LTH133BT01A03

So Samsung/Samsung! This just got delivered from Amazon. Banked in on the 20% coupon deal! And it appears that I got the best combo.:)

macesmac

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Hey again. I wrote three pages before about my situation that I got 2 MBA i5 (Basic) from the Apple Online Store.

1. LG and Toshiba SDD
2. Samsung and Toshiba SSD (+Dead Pixel)

I decided to wait 30 day after first ordering to get a higher chance receiving a complete Samsung configuration.

After studying the excel sheet again (and someone posted the results here before) your chance will be at 75% getting a Samsung SSD if you upgrade your machine. If you live in US or Canada your chance is higher than in europe to get Samsung in the basic model.

I´m living in Germany. For me I decided that I won´t accept any alternative configurations in this lottery. So I gave it back to Apple and ordered with the 256 GB upgrade 30 days later. (In hope of a higher chance and because of the expensive OWC Blade)

And? I got a complete Samsung configuration Czech :cool:
So, others wrote it before. What ever you get form Apple if you are lucky with your configuration than keep it :apple: If not try your order with a bigger SSD.

The SSD feels just a second faster. But only just a second. The question about the screen is addicted from your preferences.

Last edited:

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway

Yeah, my keyboards feel rubbery as well.
Can´t remember my MBP being like that, then again it was awhile since I bought my MBP.

Oh well I just got my Macbook Air today and their screen and ssd was.
LTH133BT01A03
SM256C

Does that mean I win something? :p

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
New 13" i5. Picked up Tues 8/30.

Have the Samsung SSD. Also have the LG screen and frankly, it looks great. I think overall my concern would be with the SSD more than the screen. I'm not going to get caught up in this "what's best" stuff. Looks great, runs great. Why worry?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I think side by side comparisons are the source of some of the trouble.

This is always going to happen, and it seems to have unfortunate consequences.

hystery

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Japan
I've seen a samsung screen of a MBA 11", it looked really nice. Significantly sharper, crisper than my 13's LG. Colors looked more saturated but still had good contrast.

I wonder if it's because samsung or just it's smaller... Is there any "LG vs Samsung" comparison review I wonder?

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I've seen a samsung screen of a MBA 11", it looked really nice. Significantly sharper, crisper than my 13's LG. Colors looked more saturated but still had good contrast.

I wonder if it's because samsung or just it's smaller... Is there any "LG vs Samsung" comparison review I wonder?

Honestly I think this is perception. If it looks better to you, then it does. Apple would not let two displays have different clarity on the same model. Looking at Anands review of these panels, the LG beats the Samsung in some critical tests such as black level. But from posts here, you would think the LG was inferior. Looking at test results, I think the LG is a better display. Wonder where this "Samsung is superior" started anyway. SSD, yes (on paper), LCD, no.

hystery

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Japan
Honestly I think this is perception. If it looks better to you, then it does. Apple would not let two displays have different clarity on the same model. Looking at Anands review of these panels, the LG beats the Samsung in some critical tests such as black level. But from posts here, you would think the LG was inferior. Looking at test results, I think the LG is a better display. Wonder where this "Samsung is superior" started anyway. SSD, yes (on paper), LCD, no.

Actually I used to think exactly the same way. I wouldn't say my LG is rubbish, in comparison to my older MBP 13" it definitely is better and clearer. But still I couldn't help getting surprised how those LG and Samsung had that much difference between 'em...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.