Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Picked up a 13" Core 1.8GHz Core i7 256GB MBA from the Burlington Mall Apple Store in MA during the tax holiday. It had Samsung drive and display.

The display got scratched from the trackpad (long story) so I had it exchanged at the Boylston Street Apple Store in MA a week ago; same 13" i7 MBA model, and again Samsung drive and display.

Did I just get lucky and receive two unicorns? Or are all 13" i7 models sold with Samsung SSD and display?

Shapethelola

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
As far as I can see the most MacBooks coming now are both Samsung/Samsung, at least from what I can read here

dzigg

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
Just bought mine a few days ago.. The ssd is samsung (yay!) while the screen is LG.. but honestly I'm happy with the screen, no complaints. I consider myself lucky since a few I checked in the store here in Jakarta all have toshiba ssd..

Lovin the new air! mine is 13 inch base model btw..

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I did get the LG screen but Samsung SSD. It's lightening fast, which put me off taking it back because at first I couldn't get used to the screen. Now I have though, so it's probably not going back. I've checked, barely any difference between LG and Samsung screen guys, so stop worrying.

dzigg

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
Maybe not ALL LG is bad? just a bad batch of production?

Nothing is wrong with mine.. I tried to use the color profile that supposedly make it better but it turns out worse for me..

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
wouldn't even call the LG worse, the problems are blown out of proportion

Agreed. I'd bet good money, that side by side, users couldn't tell which is which screen wise. It the command line ID that has people in a tizzy. If only users would just use these and not look for *****, they'd be very happy.

Auto Tunechi

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
Can Someone please help me walk thru and find my sdd and display model? Page 1 direction didnt help me i went to

about this mac > More info...>

Then where do i go from there? thanks

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Can Someone please help me walk thru and find my sdd and display model? Page 1 direction didnt help me i went to

about this mac > More info...>

Then where do i go from there? thanks

I could tell by the text smoothing of your post that you have the superior SSD and screen. Your good. Enjoy your machine. ;)

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I didn't check my 11" MBA's screen and ssd until now, both Samsung. But I'm thinking of exchanging it for a 13" instead, kind of on the fence. Should I keep it since it's got Samsung for both screen and ssd? :p (semi-serious.. maybe)

systole

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Minnesnowta
I'll Play

Already used the google form, but here it is for my 13"/i5/128G

SM128C, LP133WP1-TJA3

Guess I got lucky with the samsung ;)

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I didn't check my 11" MBA's screen and ssd until now, both Samsung. But I'm thinking of exchanging it for a 13" instead, kind of on the fence. Should I keep it since it's got Samsung for both screen and ssd? :p (semi-serious.. maybe)

Well, if you get a 13" and it has the LG screen, it will be totally unusable. So you may want to factor that into your decision.

gorleegor

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Well, if you get a 13" and it has the LG screen, it will be totally unusable. So you may want to factor that into your decision.
I doubt this comment, it depends on whether you have calibrated the LG screen or not!!! LG screen is not bad out of the box, but it will be far much better if you calibrate it, like what I do with my MBA ~~~ Stop telling that bullshXt please !

teobg

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
Just got an Ultimate 13" from Apple Store Town Square, Las Vegas.

Display - LTH133BT01A03 (Samsung)
SSD - SM256C (Samsung)

So happy :)

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I doubt this comment, it depends on whether you have calibrated the LG screen or not!!! LG screen is not bad out of the box, but it will be far much better if you calibrate it, like what I do with my MBA ~~~ Stop telling that bullshXt please !

You might have overlooked the sarcasm in that post... :p

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
It seems to me that most of the 13 inch ultimates are samsung/samsung. It also appears that the 11 inch models have a 50/50 mix of samsung and LG displays.

As anandtech has discovered due to testing the 11 inch models, the displays are incredibly similar to each other, and each has its own pros and cons (better color and contrast with LG, better viewing angles and brightness with samsung).

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Base 13" model with Samsung display and Toshiba SSD. Looks good and works good, so no complaints from me. Samsung drives are faster in some tests due to the NCQ, but it's an SSD so the difference isn't really going to make that much of an impact. It'll still tear through whatever you throw at it.

Now if these were enterprise servers.. then yea I'd be bitching up a storm right about now :p As an end user, grab a beer and stop worrying about petty ****.

Exactly. Got my 13" 2011 model and it has the Toshiba SSD. Everything loads instantly or just about. It's fine.

Benchmarks make things look out of proportion. Example: Numbers is a 200 MB app. The Toshiba SSD reads 200MB per second. So loading it will take 1 second, versus 0.8 seconds with the samsung that's 20% faster. Can you tell the difference between 2 tenths of a second in normal everyday use? No.

And once something is loaded to memory, the point is moot anyway. So on the second time you launch Numbers, it will load the same on both anyway.

Just enjoy what you have. It could be worse, this could be 1998 and you could be using a Dell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.