Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justaphone

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2007
2nd "Ultimate" Config, 2nd Gen MBA

I just picked up the new 11" "Ultimate" i7
I have the LG Panel and the Samsung 256 SSD

Out of curiosity, I checked my 2010 11" "Ulitmate" (1.6 / 4/ 128) and it too had the LG Panel and the Samsung SSD.

Display doesn't bother me, as I was happy with my first MBA's display. It seems comparable to my Macbook Pro's Samsung Panel.

One point of difference between my 2010 and 2011:

LP116WH4-TPA1
LP116WH4-TJA3

Not sure if the last four mean anything specific?

Opening it to find no dead pixels was good enough for me (sadly two of my previous MacBooks arrived with them...) :apple:

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
What are the biggest differences between the LG/Phillips monitor and Samsung Monitor?

Also can someone tell me what this means when I typed in that command to show what monitor I have:

B116XW05 V0
Color LCD

Lastly I think I've figured out a way to help determine what SSD you would get if you bought it in store. CHECK THEIR FLOOR MODELS. It would more than likely be the same that is in their store room.

Case and point, I just bought an 1199 model and it had a Toshiba SSD, and ALL of their floor models have Toshiba SSDs.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
If anyone thinks Apple would source two panels and two SSDs that are noticeably different (i.e. you can notice differences in real world use) is a complete fool.

The displays and SSDs have been tested to death prior to being released to the assembly line and are identical in performance.

Anything posted here that disagrees is nothing more than F! U! D!

There may be theoretical differences someone dug up from some benchmark, but again, if it was a noticeable difference on any level, Apple would have none of it.

I just hate that some of you read this thread, get obsessed, and exchange your Air simply based on these posts. This results in higher prices for everyone as these returns can never be re-sold as new.

This clamoring for the "utopia" Samsung/Samsung combo really is a mental disorder, folks...snap out of it...

Mandork

macrumors member
May 8, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if the screens were of the exact same specs made in the same plant in China or Korea, but just badged as either Samsung or LG by those companies

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Can anyone confirm if these are the exact same panels that were used in the late 2010 macbook airs?

If so, then I have nothing to worry about. They looked fine to me in the stores.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Bad luck! I'm the first person with an LG display on an i7 13.3"...

Have the Samsung SSD though.

Somebody said the Samsung display has better viewing angles than the LG one. Is there any evidence in the form of reviews for this?

Baycity

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
at the Apple store in SF. Display unit #1 is stock 13"
lcd
LTH133BT01A03

HD
APPLE SSD SM128C

Display unit #2 Stock 11"

lcd
LP116WH4-TJA3

HD
APPLE SSD SM128C

Display unit #3 Stock 13"

lcd
LP133WP1-TJA3

HD
APPLE SSD SM128C

Free geek bench 5435

so far I've only encountered one Toshiba drive and all geek bench has hovered around 5500 for the 13s and 4500 to 5000 for the 11s.

Last edited:

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
at the Apple store in SF. Display unit #1 is stock 13"
lcd
LTH133BT01A03

HD
APPLE SSD SM128C

Display unit #2 Stock 11"

lcd
LP116WH4-TJA3

HD
APPLE SSD SM128C

I would bet if you purchased a MBA there it would have a Samsung SSD.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Also can someone tell me what this means when I typed in that command to show what monitor I have:

B116XW05 V0
Color LCD

Interesting. That is an AU Optronics display panel. Looks like there are 3 display panels in use for the 11" MBA as of now. :eek:

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Interesting. That is an AU Optronics display panel. Looks like there are 3 display panels in use for the 11" MBA as of now. :eek:

i remember back when the first 13" unibody macbook pro's were introduced.. we had a very similar thread like this discussing AUO and i believe LG also. some def had inferior viewing angles (per screenshots taken by various members). iirc AUO had the better panel. i'll see if i can dig it up from my post history

Last edited:

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy fa**ot...but I got a Samsung SDD and LG Display. Pumped about Samsung and don't know what to really think about the LG...Is there any proof of a difference between LG and Samsung panels? Because I'm starting to doubt there's any REAL proof and people are just posting this to post.

There's actual evidence of a difference (and not a big one) between the Samsung and Toshiba SDD...but not in displays (so far).

Baycity

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
I would bet if you purchased a MBA there it would have a Samsung SSD.

Thats what i was thinking and im very tempted considering my need for instant gratification but i think i can save at least 50$ not having to pay taxes and ordering it thru amazon. I just wish they offered the ultimate 13 on there.. Guess i will just get the stock 13.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Bad luck! I'm the first person with an LG display on an i7 13.3"...

Have the Samsung SSD though.

Somebody said the Samsung display has better viewing angles than the LG one. Is there any evidence in the form of reviews for this?

Looks like I've got the same setup, and even using calibration, it's pretty washed out. Not very good contrast with dark colors.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

Just to make sure it wasn't me. Read instructions. You should be able to differentiate each of the different blocks.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
i remember back when the first 13" unibody macbook pro's were introduced.. we had a very similar thread like this discussing AUO and i believe LG also. some def had inferior viewing angles (per screenshots taken by various members). iirc AUO had the better panel. i'll see if i can dig it up from my post history

Yes, there was a big difference between viewing angles and color contrast. Looks like the same for this.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Just picked up an 11" yesterday 4GM 128 and its a SM SSD and I also bought a few months ago an 11" Ultimate and that too has the SM SSD both are 128GB .. Guess I got lucky.. 2 guys at work have 11" one ultimate and one regular with 2gm ram and 128 SSD and they BOTH have TS ssd..

ApplePu

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Switzerland
I have the TS SSD and the LG display in my ultimate. I don't really care about the display because I think the one I've got is very very nice.

I'd love to see some benchmark comparison between the TS256C and the SM256C. Can anyone provide a link?

Funny enough, on harddrivebenchmarks.net the Toshiba 256 is rated better than the Samsung, but at 128GB the Samsung is better than Toshiba....strange....

Last edited:

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I have the TS SSD and the LG display in my ultimate. I don't really care about the display because I think the one I've got is very very nice.

I'd love to see some benchmark comparison between the TS256C and the SM256C. Can anyone provide a link?

Funny enough, on harddrivebenchmarks.net the Toshiba 256 is rated better than the Samsung, but at 128GB the Samsung is better than Toshiba....strange....

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree with you more. I probably wouldn't notice the difference between the ssd models in my real world performance, but I tend to look at the screen every day. Think I'm gonna mosey over to the store and look at the 13" display models. If they're all washed out...I don't know.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Respectfully, I couldn't disagree with you more. I probably wouldn't notice the difference between the ssd models in my real world performance, but I tend to look at the screen every day. Think I'm gonna mosey over to the store and look at the 13" display models. If they're all washed out...I don't know.

All of these displays are good enough. If there was severe issues with viewing angles, contrast, color, or brightness than it would always bug you, but in my opinion, all of these will be adequate; and that's really all you should be concerned about with USING A TOOL. It's a tool not a girlfriend (and thank GOD it's not a girlfriend .....for her sake :D )

But the main issue with this is what you can do about it? What are you going to do?

Go 5 times to a store and stare at them? Agonize over it for days?
Make the store clerks open 10 boxes until you get the 'perfect' one?

None of these are reasonable options

The only reasonable options are: buy one or don't. Post here all you want, but don't get obsessed.

(I love being patronizing :D )

Last edited:

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Here's some display tests ...

Scales, Grey, RGB
http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/75285375/original

Scroll right and left to see the entire image.
Look for the ability to see all the shades at least from 16-248.
Often shades in certain colors will will clip at the high end,
start looking the same, or crush at the low end.

Gamma 2.2
(* must be viewed at 100%, click original under the image as needed)
http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/94930126/original

Tilt the display back and forth watch for how quickly the shades change.
Ideally you want the inner rectangles to blend in with the surrounding grey background
and it should be consistant as you tilt the display or move your head around.

Grimoire

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
13"/i5/128GB. Toshiba SSD, LG panel. Oh well.

It is kind of annoying if some people are getting better parts but it's still a nice machine.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
13"/i5/128GB. Toshiba SSD, LG panel. Oh well.

It is kind of annoying if some people are getting better parts but it's still a nice machine.

The thing is nobody has proved that 1 is better than the other.

People have claimed the samsung benches faster but i haven't seen any results myself yet. The concept was started by a few people here but i haven't seen any evidence yet.

I really truly don't think there is going to be much different between the SSD's or the panels, minor differences maybe, not major ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.