Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Next year could be untenable if Nico and Lewis stay at Mercedes. The difficulty is there aren't many good drives available. Maybe a Mercedes swap for Lewis and Vettel? Hamilton appears to be winning the internal war at Mercedes at least, with a degree of luck helping Rosberg's championship attempt.

At least they've given us an interesting year! I love the battle, it's what makes F1 interesting.

Definitely tough for next year though. Ross Brawn would single out the #1 driver the second he knew they had a car capable of winning the title. It's a little different with Toto. I get the feeling they are trying to keep Lewis happy so he doesn't leave.

Hehe Nico's vlog for Spa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDY7Sm2osEw&list=UUtLZ6qQgB-EwQy5HWIo3X-w

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Defiantly keeps it interesting. Imagine if there was a No 2 driver challenging Vettel for all those years? Maybe there wouldn't have been all the hate for him if there had been a battle.

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!
Who else thinks the penalty for Magnussen was harsh? Especially considering how aggressive Alonso drives. He was defending his position and Alonso didn't brake.

20s was too much I think...

Next year could be untenable if Nico and Lewis stay at Mercedes. The difficulty is there aren't many good drives available. Maybe a Mercedes swap for Lewis and Vettel? Hamilton appears to be winning the internal war at Mercedes at least, with a degree of luck helping Rosberg's championship attempt.
I think Hamilton can be a self inflated off track; I wouldn't mind at all seeing him lose the title this year. He's good, but not always a good sport.

Next year could also be different as Honda steps back in as a supplier. I'd love to see McLaren do really well and have some glory days fights between the teams again... this year it's been no fun whatsoever afa the Constructors goes.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Who else thinks the penalty for Magnussen was harsh? Especially considering how aggressive Alonso drives. He was defending his position and Alonso didn't brake.

20s was too much I think...

I think Hamilton can be a self inflated off track; I wouldn't mind at all seeing him lose the title this year. He's good, but not always a good sport.

Next year could also be different as Honda steps back in as a supplier. I'd love to see McLaren do really well and have some glory days fights between the teams again... this year it's been no fun whatsoever afa the Constructors goes.

not completely unagreed.

i am, however, just messing with apple fanboy. lewis is very good. prolly a little/somewhat better at race craft than nico. but i want nico to win if alonso isn't.

and it seems like every few years we say that about honda and then they leave again with little or no glory added to their illustrious history.

hope it is different this time.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
With the way the engines have changed to power management systems, I think it's a big ask for Honda to hit the ground running. Even McLaren are talking about 2016 being their year to do something. Hard to see Jenson still there in 2016.

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
and it seems like every few years we say that about honda and then they leave again with little or no glory added to their illustrious history.

hope it is different this time.
I'd add that while Honda might not be expected to hit the ground running, it's not at all like an entirely new entry; their history in F1 should count for something towards experience.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'd add that while Honda might not be expected to hit the ground running, it's not at all like an entirely new entry; their history in F1 should count for something towards experience.

Tell that to Renault. Their passed world championships don't seem to be counting for much with Red Bull ATM.

Yes they might have one at the weekend, but if the two Mercs hadn't hit each other, it would have been a third place at best.

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Tell that to Renault. Their passed world championships don't seem to be counting for much with Red Bull ATM.

Yes they might have one at the weekend, but if the two Mercs hadn't hit each other, it would have been a third place at best.

I dunno... they're arguably the better of the second place teams. Them and Williams. Ricciardo's been doing really well.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada

That's true... Spa should have been a Merc 1-2 but Red Bull has looked good pre-summer and now at Spa they improved again regardless of what happened. Even with the accident the car is impressive. Red Bull has a good chance of winning 3 of the first 4 races after the break now.

I still think Mercedes has been holding back performance or they would be a lot quicker than they already are. I predict they are going to blow everyone out of the water in Italy - under strict orders to only pass each other on the two long straights.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Well Rosberg well and truly screwed that weekend up and has made it very uncomfortable for himself within Mercedes in the near future. I think we may see an end to allowing these guys to race as hard as they have, and that's sad for the fans. It's a shame it overshadowed a brilliant win by Ricciardo too! I think Nico owes Lewis a few points to if he breaks down at Monza and Lewis wins, the mood might be brighter again :)

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011

For sure auto racing is not a sport you can rest on your past laurels. That noted, Honda announced their return to F1 in 2013. They've likely been working on it longer than that (I'd venture when the original Mercedes Mclaren engine contract expired.) Their current development is exempt from any FIA rules, so a case could be made that's an advantage. They have a pretty impressive record in 1.5l V-6 turbos, too.

Another missing question: Will Mclaren be up to the task? They've lost so much personnel over the last 10 years it shouldn't be a surprise they're having a tough go now. That noted, not too many people have made a wage betting against Ron.

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
For sure auto racing is not a sport you can rest on your past laurels. That noted, Honda announced their return to F1 in 2013. They've likely been working on it longer than that (I'd venture when the original Mercedes Mclaren engine contract expired.) Their current development is exempt from any FIA rules, so a case could be made that's an advantage. They have a pretty impressive record in 1.5l V-6 turbos, too.

Another missing question: Will Mclaren be up to the task? They've lost so much personnel over the last 10 years it shouldn't be a surprise they're having a tough go now. That noted, not too many people have made a wage betting against Ron.

I think they have what it takes; They're still not doing badly this year, just not great. I mean, if they were in Caterham's place I'd think differently. At least I don't get all keyed up just because McLaren places one or both in the points at a race. :D

At least they've given us an interesting year! I love the battle, it's what makes F1 interesting.

Definitely tough for next year though. Ross Brawn would single out the #1 driver the second he knew they had a car capable of winning the title. It's a little different with Toto. I get the feeling they are trying to keep Lewis happy so he doesn't leave.

Hehe Nico's vlog for Spa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDY7Sm2osEw&list=UUtLZ6qQgB-EwQy5HWIo3X-w

Hamilton has driven like this in the past, though, hasn't he? I doubt AMG would pull the same crap and punish Hamilton if the situation was reversed. Nico is a good sport about it; Hamilton tends to whine at times. The FIA decided not to punish Rosberg, and while I agree that they're at times biased (Magnussen/Alonso in Belgium, for example) I think in this case this was a race incident. They shouldn't force Rosberg to apologise. Or, at least, now that they have they shouldn't cry later on when he decides to leave.

Just let them drive, so long as they're not breaking rules.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Honda enjoyed great success in the 80's and very early 90's as an engine supplier, but their success as a team while supplying their own engines in recent times can at best be described as falling short by a considerable margin. I think it would be a mistake to consider McLaren again just yet as the dream partnership could just be for nostalgia. McLaren have struggled to optimise the potential of the Mercedes power unit this season and this demonstrates they have underachieved. My advice to Hamilton would be to beat Nico and get pen to paper ;)

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Honda enjoyed great success in the 80's and very early 90's as an engine supplier, but their success as a team while supplying their own engines in recent times can at best be described as falling short by a considerable margin. I think it would be a mistake to consider McLaren again just yet as the dream partnership could just be for nostalgia. McLaren have struggled to optimise the potential of the Mercedes power unit this season and this demonstrates they have underachieved. My advice to Hamilton would be to beat Nico and get pen to paper ;)

not completely unagreed.

i will say that mcclaren might want a different supplier simply to get out from under the shadow the other mercedes teams that are doing better than them.

do we have a bead on who is going to use honda power? they are going to be a supplier and not a team right?

oops, answered my own question: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/5/14561.html

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
They are going to be a supplier as far as I know. A few of my friends went through a period of hell back in 2008 when they pulled the plug on the team, so I think it would be unwise to return just yet as a team outfit. Thankfully it worked out back then.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
They are going to be a supplier as far as I know. A few of my friends went through a period of hell back in 2008 when they pulled the plug on the team, so I think it would be unwise to return just yet as a team outfit. Thankfully it worked out back then.

Do you have friends that own an F1 team?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm thinking of heading to Suzuka. The issue I have is this is kind of late now and it's hard to get a close hotel. I don't exactly want to drive like 100 km a day to get to the track.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Also from the wording, I also read it as perhaps you have a friend who had their own race team. :cool:
I have to say I've read what I wrote again and can't see that connection at all. F1 teams employ a lot of people. One of my friends is a data analyst, another works with carbon fibre and the other makes moulds for seating and steering wheels at Mercedes. I grew up very near to Brackley in Banbury, and if you study engineering, F1 is an industry that offers opportunities in the area. I would have loved to have worked for an F1 team but I ended up going into a different field of design that also interested me. Its nice to catch up with old friends though and dig for a bit of gossip or get a real perspective when the press are sensationalising certain stories.
A few of my friends went through a period of hell back in 2008 when they pulled the plug on the team, so I think it would be unwise to return just yet as a team outfit.

just asking. we did have a bloke on here at one time who worked for RBR.
Oh right, an old school friend of mine works for Red Bull but I haven't seen him in person for 15 years. I just know from his Facebook profile. I don't think he is particularly high up but is obviously very proud of his job. Its always nice to hear from people who work more closely with these teams. Fans have a thirst for this sort of knowledge, I know I do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.