Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Let the teams innovate - this should be all about the technology and not about the drivers. Let them go wild on aero, and make them change battery packs, not cars.
Won't happen, FIA are control freaks. Look at F1. FIA engine specs control things to the tiniest detail. What's the point? I say let the teams do whatever they want within the fuel limit.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
DVR somehow recorded this.

Ugh, it's spec.

It's also a fairly short race - I think I heard 25 minutes?

They change cars in the middle of the race. Minimum pit times.

It really looks like (gag) Indy car racing. Boring street track.

I had been somewhat interested in this, but after seeing what the reality is, I'm thinking they started this a few years early.

The spec thing is perhaps the worst. Let the teams innovate - this should be all about the technology and not about the drivers. Let them go wild on aero, and make them change battery packs, not cars. Then I'd be interested.

i've heard Jarno Trulli is racing in this…?

further inspection reveals he is racing and he is an owner!

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
i've heard Jarno Trulli is racing in this…?

further inspection reveals he is racing and he is an owner!

Pretty much looks like a collection of drivers that, uhhh, used to be moderately successful. Recognizable names, true, but not sure it goes much past that.

The Verge thought it was super exciting. I guess that cements my opinion that The Verge is on a downwards track.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
And people have been moaning about the new sound of F1 this season.

This Electric lot reminded me of my radio control car racing days. I used to have an RC10. Anyone remember them?

Also why don't they just have two short races with points for each istead of changing cars? Like touring cars do?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
They also change the cars away from public view - inside a tent - unless you're watching via TV.

Yeah, that's brilliant.

Again, make it non-spec and I'll have (some) interest. I've none at all at this point.

Heck, remove the drivers and make it a robot-car race. I'd pay money for that!

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
And people have been moaning about the new sound of F1 this season.

This Electric lot reminded me of my radio control car racing days. I used to have an RC10. Anyone remember them?

Also why don't they just have two short races with points for each istead of changing cars? Like touring cars do?

...I remember the LunchBox. Tamiya also had another model that could pull a huge load.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Pretty much looks like a collection of drivers that, uhhh, used to be moderately successful. Recognizable names, true, but not sure it goes much past that.

The Verge thought it was super exciting. I guess that cements my opinion that The Verge is on a downwards track.

lol. yeah without looking again Jarno would be one of the more successful i'd guess. having won a race and all.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So looks like Hamilton has the psychological edge again. Despite losing 2/10ths on one corner, he still got pole. Hope he drives off in to the distance tomorrow. Good to see Riccardo keeping the no 1 Red Bull status again! Shame for Kimi as he was looking strong, but at least the Ferraris seem closer (or is it just the track?). Anyway looking forward to the race.

iHackPro

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
DFW, TX
With the win by Lewis, and the DNF from Nico, Hamilton leads WDC by 3 points, and Ricciardo by 60. Williams has still holds 3rd in WCC by 9 points over Ferrari.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Certainly a good weekend for Lewis. Still think either he or Nico will get at least another DNF this season. Lets hope its not the double points race. It would be a shame to see the championship decided like that.
Good day at the office for Red Bull. Two podiums and kept Alonso in check.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I think this was the first race where I really felt that the (somewhat complicated) tire compound rules made the competition really interesting.

Hamilton and Mercedes were not only considerably faster than every other car/driver on the track. But thanks to a totally unrelated Safety Car appearance, his 3-stop strategy came very close to losing him the race.

It was also the first race where I got the feeling that the drivers (even Hamilton) were on the edge of losing control of the race. Several of the radio transmissions showed otherwise experienced, highly skilled, drivers getting a little frantic about everything from the temperature in the car to expressing doubts about the longevity of their tires.

The Singapore setup, with its nighttime running, makes for an interesting race. But the visuals were pretty unpleasant. Most of the time it seemed that the cars were running in a dingy concrete tunnel. None of the gorgeous scenery and backgrounds of many of the European races. And I got no sense that there was a crowd actually watching the race.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I think this was the first race where I really felt that the (somewhat complicated) tire compound rules made the competition really interesting.

Hamilton and Mercedes were not only considerably faster than every other car/driver on the track. But thanks to a totally unrelated Safety Car appearance, his 3-stop strategy came very close to losing him the race.

It was also the first race where I got the feeling that the drivers (even Hamilton) were on the edge of losing control of the race. Several of the radio transmissions showed otherwise experienced, highly skilled, drivers getting a little frantic about everything from the temperature in the car to expressing doubts about the longevity of their tires.

The Singapore setup, with its nighttime running, makes for an interesting race. But the visuals were pretty unpleasant. Most of the time it seemed that the cars were running in a dingy concrete tunnel. None of the gorgeous scenery and backgrounds of many of the European races. And I got no sense that there was a crowd actually watching the race.

Singapore is very hot, and very humid. It's very very tough work to race in that environment. Heck, just plain racing is much much more taxing than most people understand. Add in the heat and the fact that they are in a fire-retardant suit and you might start to get an idea. Singapore is also the longest time spent racing on track the entire season. It's a helluva workout.

I don't know why the SC was as long as it was. 18 minutes was too long.

Other than that, good result. And no, Asia is not Europe.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
I don't know why the SC was as long as it was. 18 minutes was too long.
A conspiracy theorist would argue that was deliberately calculated to hurt Hamilton, and as a side effect anybody else using the same tire strategy. It also ended up hurting Alonso, who had fewer laps to pass Ricciardo. Is there any video of why Bottas' rear tire punctured?

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
A conspiracy theorist would argue that was deliberately calculated to hurt Hamilton

When Perez' front wing shattered, it seem to throw debris over the entire track. What was worse is that the marshals seemed to have no effective way of getting it off the track - watching them dart back and forth like some sort of hellish game of Frogger didn't impress me.

It would have taken two minutes for a few guys with big brooms to sweep the track clean. But with cars still going by at ~90-100 mph that wasn't going to happen.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just came back from the Singapore GP. Atmosphere was incredible. Yes on the television it looks pretty boring and unimpressive, but in person it's quite different. With the hazy weather on Sunday it was pretty cool which was nice.

I will definitely head back next year.

Race however was kind of boring and the safety car session took too long.

Anyways I'll be in Suzuka in a week's time.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just came back from the Singapore GP. Atmosphere was incredible. Yes on the television it looks pretty boring and unimpressive, but in person it's quite different. With the hazy weather on Sunday it was pretty cool which was nice.

I will definitely head back next year.

Race however was kind of boring and the safety car session took too long.

Anyways I'll be in Suzuka in a week's time.

Jealous. Enjoy the race.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I have no doubt in my mind that Lewis is the better outright driver. Just don't like him.

It should be noted that I don't like Nico either. :p

Of the two, I think Lewis is the better driver by a small margin, and Nico is the better sport by a large margin.

That said, I'd rather Nico won if it has to be a Mercedes year but truthfully I'd rather see Massa or Button this year, which won't happen, but one can always hope. Then again I'd rather see Marussia than Mercedes... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.