Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
How is that guys?

Looks decent, all of MacBook Pro 15's have uneven backlights. I check the display models at a few Best Buys and Apple Stores that I walked passed and they all showed some sort of unevenness. It's all about whether you notice it when you are working, if the brightness/hue shift bothers you then replace, otherwise keep it. Chances are you may get a worse one.

My first 2016 MacBook Pro 15 had a dark and blueish tint on the upper to mid left side. It was noticeable on almost every window I opened. I replaced it with a new one and this one is a bit better, but not perfect at all. I can live with it since it doesn't bother me like the last one.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
After taking mine back to the store, a few days later I managed to pick up the standard config with the 512gb ssd. It isn't 100% perfect as no screen is and it seems to have a slight pinkish tinge to parts of the screen but at least there isn't any dirty yellow patches top and bottom.

Well after posting this I have decided this one is going back as well. Whenever I pick it up there is a crunching sound underneath and the pink tinge is starting to annoy me. Honestly I just can't win.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Well after posting this I have decided this one is going back as well. Whenever I pick it up there is a crunching sound underneath and the pink tinge is starting to annoy me. Honestly I just can't win.

I hope your 3rd try will be good. I am keeping my 3rd 2016 15" although it also has a slight pink tint on the left and slight blue tint on the right. After using it for 10 days I hardly notice it anymore or I should say it doesn't bother me. I compared it to my 2012 rMBP which I considered near perfect and I started seeing dingy areas over part of that screen too, so I'm convinced none are perfect and you just need to find one that you can live with. "Crunching sounds underneath" are definitely return material.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
THanks I hope so too. I was going to keep this one as no screen is perfect but it shouldn't be making a crunching sound when being picked up. Think I might wait for a while before getting another one. Have to anyway as no store has stock :(

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
What do you guys think about this one?

b47bac03a9aa991b2e1e93155dc068a5.jpg

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
It's more yellow towards the bottom. Exactly the same as mine. Also, that left hand corner isn't good.

Must say it worse on picture than real life, but you're spot on ;-)
Don't know if I want to exchange though, seems "every" screen has some uniformity issues...but not everybody sees it.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Must say it worse on picture than real life, but you're spot on ;-)
Don't know if I want to exchange though, seems "every" screen has some uniformity issues...but not everybody sees it.

It's also slightly yellow towards the top too and whiter in the middle.

Do you wear glasses? If so, take them off and take another look. My glasses highlight the bad spots.

My screen has a hue of oval yellow centre bottom thus, I'm considering a swap.

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
It's also slightly yellow towards the top too and whiter in the middle.

Do you wear glasses? If so, take them off and take another look. My glasses highlight the bad spots.

My screen has a hue of oval yellow centre bottom thus, I'm considering a swap.

No, I don't wear glassen. Probably should though ;-)
Don't know .. it think the changes are high I will get a screen that is worse than this one.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
No, I don't wear glassen. Probably should though ;-)
Don't know .. it think the changes are high I will get a screen that is worse than this one.

My screen is better than yours and just has one oval area in the middle towards the bottom more noticeable with my glasses on. I'm still thinking of swapping as it's a liberty to 'accept' defects on a machine that costs this much.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Just talk to Apple Support, I'm getting a replacement and they put me on a priority list so I don't have to get in line again.
My experience has been that they do whatever it takes to make their customers happy, you just Need to talk to them.
Without even asking, they proposed to deliver the new one first, so I can set it up and then give the old one back so I won't have any downtime as I Need my MBP daily for my work.

If something goes wrong Quality-wise, they do everything to fix it.

So wait did they charge you for the replacement or did they allow you to decide on which one you wanted to keep and then return the other? If it's the latter then that's awesome.

Also, what do you guys think about this one? The center right portion of the display is slightly warmer than the left side.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
So wait did they charge you for the replacement or did they allow you to decide on which one you wanted to keep and then return the other? If it's the latter then that's awesome.

Also, what do you guys think about this one? The center right portion of the display is slightly warmer than the left side.

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's the best you're going to get. That's a keeper. Apparently, it's the screen tech!

I've had that in the bottom left, bottom centre and upper left. Finally, I have just slightly warmer in the bottom left on whites.

Reactions: Dick Whitman

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Every stupid apple screen has this issue every iphone ipad and mac has un even backlight and yellow tint i cant keep returning them and i have to live with it but for all this money its terrible, my main problem with apple are the yellow screena they will never fix it :(

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
That's the best you're going to get. That's a keeper. Apparently, it's the screen tech!

I've had that in the bottom left, bottom centre and upper left. Finally, I have just slightly warmer in the bottom left on whites.

I might see if Apple will bite and send me a replacement and then let me pick between the two but if not then yeah I'm not really sure i want play the Apple lottery and drive all the way back to my Apple store and deal with all the hassle.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
If you move some colours around the screen, does the hue change? E.g. light-mid gray, yellow-orange, green, light blue? If those colours aren accurate, then i would send it back.

Macalway

macrumors 601
Aug 7, 2013
these new screens are matte and look very different than my late 2013 rMBP. It's the matte vs gloss thing now, and it's a trade off.

frankly I don't care. Glossy screens are better, but......you know the drill.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Apple products, by far, have had the most screen uniformity + pixel defect issues of any product with a screen I've ever bought. MBP and rMB are dead to me regardless, bought a new Razer Blade and never looking back. In my post history you'll see all the Mac photos I've posted over time. Point is NOTHING is 100% perfect from any manufacturer, I'm extremely OCD about displays.

Here's my Blade for comparison which is as good a screen as I've come across. As great as it is I still see white uniformity variance that 99.9% of people wouldn't ever see. I suggest that everyone not settle for very non-uniform displays. For the price that Apple is charging (and Razer, etc., pick a company) don't put up with this junk. If you get one that is just within your tolerance, keep it and move on and stop the insanity. :)

IMG_0140.JPG

Reactions: ressac

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Apple products, by far, have had the most screen uniformity + pixel defect issues of any product with a screen I've ever bought. MBP and rMB are dead to me regardless, bought a new Razer Blade and never looking back. In my post history you'll see all the Mac photos I've posted over time. Point is NOTHING is 100% perfect from any manufacturer, I'm extremely OCD about displays.

Here's my Blade for comparison which is as good a screen as I've come across. As great as it is I still see white uniformity variance that 99.9% of people wouldn't ever see. I suggest that everyone not settle for very non-uniform displays. For the price that Apple is charging (and Razer, etc., pick a company) don't put up with this junk. If you get one that is just within your tolerance, keep it and move on and stop the insanity. :)

View attachment 677284

How do you like razor blade, and are those models 'dead' to you because of screen issues specifically or that coupled with other things?

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
How do you like razor blade, and are those models 'dead' to you because of screen issues specifically or that coupled with other things?
The Blade is the best laptop I've ever owned. Not going to hijack this thread, happy to answer any questions people have about it via PM. I could type an essay on what I love about it. Most people who bash it have never used one. There is no Apple-like panel lottery aside from normal individual panel variance. All FHD panels are matte LG IPS panels and all QHD panels are Sharp.

I won't even consider buying another Mac laptop unless Apple brings back the matte display option. Even then, in its current form, I'd never buy a MBP. The dongles argument has been beaten to death but that's another huge reason. I hate the panel manufacturer lottery with Macs. I think you saw my posts last year about MBP lottery and also a few months ago where I went through 3 12" MacBooks that all had terrible uniformity, backlight bleed, and/or dead pixels. I love the form factor for just basic PDF viewing and was willing to overlook the glossy display, but the price is just outrageous and I chose to not exchange for a 4th.

I support innovation, not arrogance and stagnation. People are leaving Apple in droves, I see it in my area of work and also large medical practices that all went from Macs to ThinkPads.

Last edited:
Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The Blade is the best laptop I've ever owned. Not going to hijack this thread, happy to answer any questions people have about it via PM. I could type an essay on what I love about it. Most people who bash it have never used one. There is no Apple-like panel lottery aside from normal individual panel variance. All FHD panels are matte LG IPS panels and all QHD panels are Sharp.

I won't even consider buying another Mac laptop unless Apple brings back the matte display option. Even then, in its current form, I'd never buy a MBP. The dongles argument has been beaten to death but that's another huge reason. I hate the panel manufacturer lottery with Macs. I think you saw my posts last year about MBP lottery and also a few months ago where I went through 3 12" MacBooks that all had terrible uniformity, backlight bleed, and/or dead pixels. I love the form factor for just basic PDF viewing and was willing to overlook the glossy display, but the price is just outrageous and I chose to not exchange for a 4th.

I support innovation, not arrogance and stagnation. People are leaving Apple in droves, I see it in my area of work and also large medical practices that all went from Macs to ThinkPads.

You aren't going to get a counter argument from me. I don't find IT to be a religion. There's been many times I would have liked to call it quits On apple for those reasons: spotty quality control, arrogance that coincides with sky high prices for a lot of their stuff (fortunately all but the phones I didn't pay retail for And in some cases, nowhere near msrp too ) . But by the end of the day unless I'm ready to overhaul everything with another viable ecosystem (which I don't feel exists, for google it's a hobby not their profit line) via rip and replace, it's more effort (for me) to break it. I own virtually all their product lines (pad, phone, watch, computer, appletv even though I don't use it much) and have two of each barring watch and iPad arguably since my slate gen1 low res mini is really a relic/collectors item than something I use (I don't use it but I don't want to get rid of either haha and it's jail broken on iOS 7,

I actually have 3 phones technically SE 7+ and 3GS old bootrom 5.1.1 but I use it with airplay receiver tweak to make my 30pin speaker an airplay target/streaming radio. But iOS 5,7,9,10 in house! Haha And all but 10 jail broken but it will be too whenever it comes out

My way of breaking the ecosystem while staying in Is I have Win10 boot camp on my 12". Mostly for flexibility and in case jailbreak release is a windows only tool for a while as has historically been the case :p day to day I don't boot up into it

The thing that KILLS me about apple is they actually do use fantastic quality screens. They exist. Arguably some of the best if you can overlook lack of OLED and record setting resolution. You just have to win the screen lottery every time. It seems to be the exception to the rule for one with a discerning eye. Sometimes I wish I was blind to these matters.

nTB nailed first time. Same with 7+.

I had like 1 or maybe even 2 7 duds before I returned to the phablet idea. Pro9.7 I went through a couple before giving it a break and then nailing it when I got an excellent sale price on one right before jailbreak.

But historically speaking, 4 and 5 were THE WORST for me. I had horrendous 6 Luck too before leaping to 6+. Same with ipad3. Geez I don't even want to think about how much time and driving I wasted loving the device but wanting one I wouldn't cringe at. So much so when ipad4 came out and I got a dud I immediately went back to3 and rode it out for a long time. After a while it makes you lose enthusiasm

My 4s screen was so horrendous. But I knew it was a temporary phone between 4 and 5 so I didn't even bother. In hindsight, that was endurance (for me)

Last edited:
Reactions: Harthag

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA

View attachment 677284
I'm happy you're enjoying the Blade, but you posted a black and white photo to demonstrate white uniformity? That's not really how it works... all a black and white photo is good for is determining brightness uniformity, not white.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
You aren't going to get a counter argument from me. I don't find IT to be a religion. There's been many times I would have liked to call it quits On apple for those reasons: spotty quality control, arrogance that coincides with sky high prices for a lot of their stuff (fortunately all but the phones I didn't pay retail for And in some cases, nowhere near msrp too ) . But by the end of the day unless I'm ready to overhaul everything with another viable ecosystem (which I don't feel exists, for google it's a hobby not their profit line) via rip and replace, it's more effort (for me) to break it. I own virtually all their product lines (pad, phone, watch, computer, appletv even though I don't use it much) and have two of each barring watch and iPad arguably since my slate gen1 low res mini is really a relic/collectors item than something I use (I don't use it but I don't want to get rid of either haha and it's jail broken on iOS 7,

I actually have 3 phones technically SE 7+ and 3GS old bootrom 5.1.1 but I use it with airplay receiver tweak to make my 30pin speaker an airplay target/streaming radio. But iOS 5,7,9,10 in house! Haha And all but 10 jail broken but it will be too whenever it comes out

My way of breaking the ecosystem while staying in Is I have Win10 boot camp on my 12". Mostly for flexibility and in case jailbreak release is a windows only tool for a while as has historically been the case :p day to day I don't boot up into it

The thing that KILLS me about apple is they actually do use fantastic quality screens. They exist. Arguably some of the best if you can overlook lack of OLED and record setting resolution. You just have to win the screen lottery every time. It seems to be the exception to the rule for one with a discerning eye. Sometimes I wish I was blind to these matters.

nTB nailed first time. Same with 7+.

I had like 1 or maybe even 2 7 duds before I returned to the phablet idea. Pro9.7 I went through a couple before giving it a break and then nailing it when I got an excellent sale price on one right before jailbreak.

But historically speaking, 4 and 5 were THE WORST for me. I had horrendous 6 Luck too before leaping to 6+. Same with ipad3. Geez I don't even want to think about how much time and driving I wasted loving the device but wanting one I wouldn't cringe at. So much so when ipad4 came out and I got a dud I immediately went back to3 and rode it out for a long time. After a while it makes you lose enthusiasm

My 4s screen was so horrendous. But I knew it was a temporary phone between 4 and 5 so I didn't even bother. In hindsight, that was endurance (for me)

Yes I agree, when you get a good one, Apple's displays kill it. I'm just sick of chronic exchanges. I got lucky with my iPad 9.7 and iPhone 7 on the first try, which was really nice. I purposely don't invest too much in any ecosystem in case I want to leave. You are much deeper in the ecosystem than I am so I see how leaving would be a major pain for you! Thanks for all your threads for people to compare panel types, I found it quite helpful with my devices.
I'm happy you're enjoying the Blade, but you posted a black and white photo to demonstrate white uniformity? That's not really how it works... all a black and white photo is good for is determining brightness uniformity, not white.
LOL, I totally see how my photo can come off as black and white. It isn't. I happen to have a gray table and couch in the photo is all. I have the Blade with me at my office, happy to shoot another one if you'd like, but it's comparing apples to oranges anyway. Was just making a point that no display is perfect from any company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.