Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
So interesting to hear this all the time: "it's a software issue", "it's a software issue", "it's a software issue" - since day one this has been the standard answer regarding the laggy retina machines..... and STILL Apple has done nothing to fix it?!?! Well, maybe too many pixels still is to many pixels for a thin portable machine...?

I think what the "it's a software issue" people are trying to say is, out of the box, with a clean setup, they won't face this problem? So looking to get more users to chime in here.

Reactions: nitschi

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
So interesting to hear this all the time: "it's a software issue", "it's a software issue", "it's a software issue" - since day one this has been the standard answer regarding the laggy retina machines..... and STILL Apple has done nothing to fix it?!?! Well, maybe too many pixels still is to many pixels for a thin portable machine...?

That is a very valid criticism. A lot of things have been improved, some are difficult to improve though due how OS X works (its drawing model is much more expensive than Windows for example).

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
My 2012 rmbp have intel hd 4000, and its 4 times slower than 530, and i have no ui lag, the guy in video must have some software error. Probably something got wrong when he did restore from a backup

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
The video doesn't tell us how much VRAM or system RAM was being consumed before the example on each machine. This would make a difference. Try a fresh boot on both systems then try the test.

Also, there was a technical error. It was said the Intel graphics was used for Finder and the dGPU kicks in for more intense applications. Though that is true, it also happens that dGPU can kick in for normal Finder use. It's unclear why or when.

To the video's credit, it does show that Apple have always been terrible at writing graphics drivers and Quartz continues to be too heavy on graphics accelerators. Metal is supposed to be used by the Intel chip for GUI? Not good.
[doublepost=1479636046][/doublepost]
Windows 10 post anniversary update is smooth on the XPS13/15/Surface Book I had.

The UI lag has always existed in one way or another on OS X - I don't think people are scaling it, which is where the issue usually comes in.

Also, large PDFs were a stutter fests on retina MacBooks for the longest time.

When people say daft things like Windows being stuttery or glitchy then I no longer need their opinion on any matter. That's a person who can't provide reliable information or can't observe reality correctly. Windows has always been smooth on concurrent hardware even with the most basic chips ever since NT3.51.

Reactions: greenmeanie

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
When people say daft things like Windows being stuttery or glitchy then I no longer need their opinion on any matter. That's a person who can't provide reliable information or can't observe reality correctly. Windows has always been smooth on concurrent hardware even with the most basic chips ever since NT3.51.

True. And even today, on the same Mac hardware, Windows has a smoother UI. As many of the more objective forum members pointed out a lot of times: no OS is perfect, and macOS is not without its faults.

Also, does Windows show live previews in the Windows switcher (or whatever its Mission Control equivalent is called?) Like, if I have a video running, will it work in the switcher as well? Curious, not sure how it works.

Still, El Capitan made OS X/macOS UI much smoother, and the PDFs work great, so this whole post is a non-issue. And the only places the UI ever lagged was Mission Control, and Quick Look animations. As others have reported, UI doesn't lag on the new MBPs.

Btw, remember the good old days when Windows had a square rectangle when you moved the windows around, instead of showing the window's contents? And when you did show the content, it made a "trail"? :) Those were the days! (this is not a jab at Windows, this was really a long time ago, I don't even know how Mac OS worked then, and it was probably struck by the same hardware limitations).

Reactions: macintoshmac
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Also, does Windows show live previews in the Windows switcher (or whatever its Mission Control equivalent is called?) Like, if I have a video running, will it work in the switcher as well? Curious, not sure how it works.

Yes I just tried it for you with VLC and Amazon Prime side by side.

Btw, remember the good old days when Windows had a square rectangle when you moved the windows around, instead of showing the window's contents?

Windows NT 3.5 introduced live windows resizing and scaling in the mid 90s, including video. Irix had live moving but not scaling. NeXT had some live scaling and moving too.
[doublepost=1479640653][/doublepost]Windows 10 live playback two streaming HD videos in Task Switcher views and the same videos playing in the Taskbar too. I could probably do this with every video I have at the same time considering there's an overclocked Skylake and GTX 1070 here.

Attachments

• IMG_1745.JPG
    IMG_1745.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 257

runner77

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2016
Berlin
The comparison is not optimal. He is using different app icons on each computer. What if there is one icon that takes more render time due to technical reasons (e.g. issue with the image format).

In any case, this looks bad, but it would be good to see when both computers have the same apps listed.

But my theory would explain why many people don't have such issues at all.

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
The comparison is not optimal. He is using different app icons on each computer. What if there is one icon that takes more render time due to technical reasons (e.g. issue with the image format).

In any case, this looks bad, but it would be good to see when both computers have the same apps listed.

But my theory would explain why many people don't have such issues at all.
It is different, but I doubt the different app icons will explain the stutter he is experiencing (if even affect the results at all).

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Can users of the 2016 15" MBP confirm whether you experience UI Lag like this in Applications window similar to this video? Or comment on what other UI Lag you experience. Feel free to post your own videos too!

I remember posting a couple of weeks ago predicting people will have UI lag issues with the much weaker iGPU on this model.

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
I remember posting a couple of weeks ago predicting people will have UI lag issues with the much weaker iGPU on this model.

Yeah, still trying to determine if it is a definitive problem or user-specific! Seems like we're getting a good number of users not really facing this UI Lag problem, and considering the HD530 is significantly faster than the HD 4000 on the 2012 rMBP, this problem may not be that evident.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Its actually fairly easy to check if its GPU or not. Try moving that window around. If it lags, its most likely the GPU. If it doesn't, then the GPU has enough power to redraw an area of that size without lagging.

Reactions: justywusty

inket

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Can you try this?

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Code:
killall lsd

then wait for a bit and try scrolling again to see if it's better?

Also can you try with both resolutions? The default one (1680x1050) and the old default (1440x900). I doubt Apple would set a higher resolution that needs downscaling as a default resolution if the GPU was a bottleneck for scrolling...

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I just posted this in another thread, but it also relates to this one:

I received my 2016 Macbook Pro 15" two days ago, and I've been playing with it extensively ever since.

Unfortunately, I do confirm that there is indeed a slight UI lag, both while navigating through the OSX and while scrolling through graph-heavy websites. Last year's model felt smoother :(

I see no point in benefiting from a dGPU 10% of the time while suffering from UI lag the rest of the 90% of the time. I would rather have that ratio inverted, so I'm considering returning the 15" in favor of the 13".

This is unacceptable for a $3,000 machine!

Probably because the integrated gpu is slower than last model but the dgpu is faster. If you switch to the dgpu, it should work much better.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
I doubt it takes that much graphics power to move about 20 icons up and down

Apparently it does with mac os. UI lag has been a persistent issue with the retina screens, and yes the new models are even worse than the ones from before. It isn't just the applications folder, load up a site like nba.com or any intensive site and try minimizing or maximizing the window, it isn't as smooth.

Windows is actually far smoother.

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Even my base 2.0GHz 13" doesn't do this, and that's with File Vault turned on which slows disk IO a bit.
Can't compare it with a 13" as that has an Iris 540 integrated graphics processor. The main issue here is whether the HD530 is underpowered.
[doublepost=1479661391][/doublepost]
Apparently it does with mac os. UI lag has been a persistent issue with the retina screens, and yes the new models are even worse than the ones from before. It isn't just the applications folder, load up a site like nba.com or any intensive site and try minimizing or maximizing the window, it isn't as smooth.

Windows is actually far smoother.
You're on a 15" 2016 MBP and facing UI lag? Care to share some video comparisons?

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
Can't compare it with a 13" as that has an Iris 540 integrated graphics processor. The main issue here is whether the HD530 is underpowered.
[doublepost=1479661391][/doublepost]
You're on a 15" 2016 MBP and facing UI lag? Care to share some video comparisons?

No I have a 2015 15 inch mbp. I went to the store and noticed almost all mbps experienced some kind of UI lag, most people do not notice it but I do. In the new mbps the UI lag was even more prominent than last years models.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
This is true, though the 540 in the 2.0GHz part is running at a much lower clock speed than the 530 in the 15" model. I'm thinking it should even them out, though I haven't seen specific benchmark to support my supposition.

Reactions: justywusty

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
This is true, though the 540 in the 2.0GHz part is running at a much lower clock speed than the 530 in the 15" model. I'm thinking it should even them out, though I haven't seen specific benchmark to support my supposition.
I think the Iris is probably still a little more powerful at least despite the clock speed, but the 530 should be sufficient?

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Reduce the screen real estate to looks like 1440 x 900 to match the last generation model. The new late 2016 models are now default at looks like 1680 x 1050. That would be a fairer comparison.

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Reduce the screen real estate to looks like 1440 x 900 to match the last generation model. The new late 2016 models are now default at looks like 1680 x 1050. That would be a fairer comparison.
I'm on 1680 X 1050 and don't see any lag at all on the 2013 rMBP on Iris Pro. So it should not be a problem at all. And if the default resolution that comes with it is laggy then....

dk808

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2015
Honestly, i didnt see any lag at the apple store, but even if they do lag i wouldnt even care. I barely scroll the applications folder much anyways

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
I can't replicate anything like in that video. I have the gfxCardStatus program and switched between the two cards (530 and 460 in my case) and both seemed about the same.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Can users of the 2016 15" MBP confirm whether you experience UI Lag like this in Applications window similar to this video? Or comment on what other UI Lag you experience. Feel free to post your own videos too!

This person/poster/video maker is a troll guarnatete u guys this is fake, i mean video is real but something is done to get that effect its not real - I don't know what you are up to users who posted this or video maker, but you are making this crap up. This almost seems like to be paid bad advertising made to look real by having a grassroots sort of guy filming. but i don't know who paid you man, or what kind of a troll you are. but whatever you did, you are making up the results by doing something in the background. shame. i mean i criticize apple but i dont stage stuff like you do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.