Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming Carpool Karaoke series will feature a different host every episode, according to new details on the show shared by Variety. Based on James Corden's Carpool Karaoke bit during the "Late Late Show," Apple's version will feature a format "that is more of an interview series" with rotating hosts.

Carpool Karaoke, which doesn't yet have an air date, will consist of 16 half hour episodes that will air on Apple Music and perhaps iTunes. Apple purchased rights to the show, executive produced by Eric Pankowski, Ben Winston, and James Corden, back in July of 2016.

A Carpool Karaoke segment on The Late Late Show

According to Winston, it was "silly" to try and replicate Corden's format because it is so "special and singular." Instead, Corden says pairings will include "outside-the-box" pairings like Billy Eichner and Metallica alongside traditional music choices like Alicia Keys and Ariana Grande.
"We're really excited about the pairings we're putting together," Corden said. Those pairings include more traditional musical choices like John Legend and Alicia Keys and Seth MacFarlane and Ariana Grande, but also more outside-the-box choices like Billy Eichner in the passenger seat, surrounded by the band Metallica, or former NFL star and talk show host Michael Strahan and NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon.
The trio of producers says the idea to go outside the traditional music pairings came from "immense demand" from non-musical stars who wanted to appear on Corden's show.
"We wouldn't do Will Smith on ['Late Late Show']," Winston said. "So many people have been getting in touch with us, big movie stars, and we're like that's not really for us, but here with Apple Music it's perfect."
Apple is using original television programming to promote its growing services business. Along with Carpool Karaoke, Apple is also working on "Vital Signs," a drama starring Dr. Dre, and "Planet of the Apps," a reality television show focused on the App Store.

Article Link: Apple's Carpool Karaoke Series to Have a Different Host Every Episode

maceric

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2015
I love the concept of different hosts, but one of the reason I love this so much is BECAUSE of James Corden, he's so sincere and relatable and just warm and easy to connect with as an observer. He brings out the best in his guests.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I've seen this done before. Having different hosts is an awful idea and doesn't work. Carpool Karaoke has always existed with James Corden so it simply can't be the same show.
Apple have no idea what they are doing this time.

toukale

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
What is peoples fascination with celebrities?!? How about people live in their OWN life and not obsess over rich schmucks making bad movies/tv shows that will never know or care about you in the way you do about them.

I am obviously not the target audience for this, because of this I leaned to shut my mouth instead of "why are people watching that crap?" you know the saying "one person's garbage is another's treasure." That's how I look at this, if I were you, I would do the same and move on. If it's not your cup of tea, then don't watch and stop judging others that do watch.

Reactions: zooby

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
This makes a lot of sense to me. With Netflix being ubiquitous across every device, Apple needs exclusives to bolster their own offerings (especially AppleTV). I've been wondering what the Beats1 of AppleTV might look like and where the gaps are in my own cable-cutter viewing. One thing I don't like is all the dead space/silent time between picking stuff. I can't channel surf or just put "anything" on... it always has to be a very specific thing I've chosen. It would be cool Apple had their own sort of Netflix/Live Network and to start off with, it could have just enough content to fill a 24 hour cycle. It could be live (like Beats1) for appointment TV. But then you could watch any of the shows after-air, at your leisure. Think of it as Apple's LIVE high quality TV channel. It would allow Apple to do things like cross-promoting apps, events, and products (maybe as ads between shows).

I could see if there's anything I feel like watching on Netflix or just switch off my brain and put on Beats2 (or whatever they want to call their TV channel). Apple could include it with the AppleMusic subscription or it could be an upgrade service.

Imagine, as a cable cutter, if you could still get a late night show, 6 o'clock news, some sporting events, Saturday morning cartoons, awards shows, maybe a reality show. The Olympics or World Cup would be a coup.

If the cable companies don't play nice, Apple can do their own HBO/PBS.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
So, how does this make my Mac work better with my WiFi work better with my phone work better with iTunes work better with Siri work better with ...?
Tim Cook: Alright, you're working on Carpool Karaoke now.
Only Apple programmer/engineer/employee: What? I still haven't finished fixing [insert issue]! Think of the poor customers, Tim!
Tim Cook: Be quiet and get to producing the series! You know damn well when you were hired as our sole programmer, your job would entail developing shows for television, booking guests, and making emoji.
Only Apple programmer/engineer/employee: …yes. Of course, sir.

I'm not following what one has to do with the other...
Whenever there's news that Apple is working on something unrelated to an issue one has, there's always a post that implies Apple can only work on one thing at a time.

WinstonRumfoord

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2014
I can't tell from the video but it looks like only 16gb of RAM. 0/10

But seriously, I can't stand James Corden. I'd have rather they licensed Close Up Animals with Wide Angle Lens Wearing Hats

Reactions: pentrix2 and Huck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.