Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
A crippled Thunderbolt dock I might say. 3 x USB 2.0 only; FW and LAN. It doesn't even work easily with any PC.

And IMO, USB 3 hub, multiple inputs, and flexibility on the Dell makes up for $300 Thunderbolt dock.

Ethernet might matter. You're also forgetting that the TB display has a camera and speakers built-in. It's perfect as a docking station for a portable Mac if you just want to be able to plug in TB and power and have everything else come with it. With the Dell display, you'd have to plug in a USB cable, speakers, a camera, power, and possibly ethernet and FW/TB (in some cases) to the laptop.

But if you have a desktop computer... yeah the Apple monitor sucks for you. Especially if you don't have Thunderbolt. Make a wise decision.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
24-Inch 4K Display from Dell Priced at $1399, 28-Inch 4K Model Coming at Unde...

And then what? That makes Apple less innocent? Thunderbolt is a proprietary technology, and on top of that it's NOT commonly used.

So in all decency Apple could have add DisplayPort support into it. Or even better, add DVI DL and HDMI 1.4 so virtually any computer could make use of it.

Right now the $999 Apple display is pretty much shiny garbage unless you have Thunderbolt Mac. And I don't pay $999 for garbage.

Why does Apple care about people connecting their monitor to a windows PC? Thunderbolt is compatible with displayport and you can buy a dirt cheap mini dp to hdmi adapter. You know what's garbage? Dell not being able to make a proper docking solution since.....ever.

You know who uses thunderbolt? Video professionals that'll make use of 4K and the insane throughput of thunderbolt. All other interfaces is dog slow.

Ethernet might matter. You're also forgetting that the TB display has a camera and speakers built-in. It's perfect as a docking station for a portable Mac if you just want to be able to plug in TB and power and have everything else come with it. With the Dell display, you'd have to plug in a USB cable, speakers, a camera, power, and ethernet to the laptop.

But if you have a desktop computer... yeah the Apple monitor sucks for you :p

People that rag on thunderbolt don't realize that its an all in one plug.

Last edited:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
This may be a long shot, but I'm guessing you like Thunderbolt? ;)

BTW, while all your points are very arguable, your examples don't really fit the scenario here. Comparing Thunderbolt to Magsafe? Really? :rolleyes:

I dislike misinformation making it into the top comments more than I like Thunderbolt. ;)

But I do like the fact I can still use my FW800 audio interface on my rMBP while still having a much lighter laptop than my old 15" cMBP.

MagSafe was an example of a Mac-only feature many people like despite not being standard on non-Apple hardware. My point is that the fact some tech is not adopted by a whole industry doesn't automatically make it bad. The technical aspect is of course very different.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
MagSafe was an example of a Mac-only feature many people like despite not being standard on non-Apple hardware. The technical aspect is of course very different.

But there's no standard for laptop chargers. Each company has a (or many) different one(s). Maybe the TB fans will have the last laugh if DVI and HDMI can't handle future video resolutions... But this stuff about using the Mac Pro with external GPUs is nonsense.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Why does Apple care about people connecting their monitor to a windows PC? Thunderbolt is compatible with displayport and you can buy a dirt cheap mini dp to hdmi adapter. You know what's garbage? Dell not being able to make a proper docking solution since.....ever.

You know who uses thunderbolt? Video professionals that'll make use of 4K and the insane throughput of thunderbolt. All other interfaces is dog slow.

People that rag on thunderbolt don't realize that its an all in one plug.

You are partially true, so also partially wrong. Thunderbolt port on the Mac side is indeed convertible to DP, HDMI or DVI. That's why you can connect Mac with TB to any display, including this Dell display assuming you have the right adapter and connectors.

But Thunderbolt Display is NOT the same as you might realize. Its input is for TB computers exclusively although it looks exactly the same as mDP port. So even if you have the right adapter it just won't work. What kind of $999 monitor which does that? That could be misleading for average joe.

Okay Apple could not care about connecting Windows PCs to its own display. But how about pre 2011 Macs? Those are their own products, no?
Even Lightning has an adapter for 30pin dock so old cable and accessorizes can still be used. Why break the chain all of so sudden?

Yes, Thunderbolt is an all in one solution for video and data. But if you're professional you already have so many devices and cables already. Does it really matter to just save a mere one or two cables while adding the cost significantly?
You can still perfectly use TB port on a Mac while connecting it to a HDMI monitor (i.e rMBP, new MacPro and Mac Mini). No harm done.

boazjoe

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
can a mini make use of a 4k display or is it too underpowered?

edited: Sorry, Glitch44 beat me to it.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I'm hoping Apple also introduces a 'regular' TBD as well. I've been waiting for an updated model that includes USB 3.0, but I don't want my Mac Mini to push 4K with just the HD4000 (which probably isn't possible anyway - given TB2 is needed for that kind of bandwidth), 2560x1440 is fine for me.

I'd rather have smoother frame rates than a 'retina' display.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
But there's no standard for laptop chargers. Each company has a (or many) different one(s). Maybe the TB fans will have the last laugh if DVI and HDMI can't handle future video resolutions... But this stuff about using the Mac Pro with external GPUs is nonsense.

I don't think Apple ever marketed Thunderbolt as a way to drive external GPUs. They talked about "PCI expansion" for the Mac Pro but that's really vague.

eGPUs are more of a dream than anything right now, experts like Anandtech already said even Thunderbolt 2 doesn't have sufficient bandwidth to be viable for this kind of stuff. It technically can be done, but it's simply not economically efficient. Thunderbolt has benefits but I doubt completely replacing internal parts for external ones (outside of storage) is one of them in the near future.

You will find generic laptop chargers that work with many different PC laptop brands, however it's true that there isn't a single standard for the whole industry like say, USB.

I'll choose another example: Many people like iMessage even though it's not available on competing devices and far from being an industry standard like SMS. The fact it won't ever replace SMS doesn't make it bad.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
The Mac Pro hasn't really been released yet. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

I hope you're correct. A release at Christmas would seem strange. Why not pre-announce and own the discussion for being first?

But again, I hope you're correct.

----------

Perhaps the 28 inch screen size were snapped up by Apple, hence Dell facing no supply to release them. They don't supply any exact specs of the 28 inch panel so may have just thrown out the sub $1000 figure now to give people food for thought if Apple were to release a 28 inch 4K alongside the Mac Pro.

Very insightful, and I hope you're correct. I'd love to buy this display...hoping the new laptops can power them too.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Is 185 ppi high enough at the 10" distance away? I don't know, I'm just asking.

Do we need higher ppi in the 220 range closer to retina specs of 264 ppi?

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I'll choose another example: Many people like iMessage even though it's not available on competing devices and far from being an industry standard like SMS. The fact it won't ever replace SMS doesn't make it bad.

You're comparing things that Apple restricts to apple only devices to something that is built to communicate to other devices.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
I don't think Apple ever marketed Thunderbolt as a way to drive external GPUs. They talked about "PCI expansion" for the Mac Pro but that's really vague.

Yeah, but with the new Mac Pro design, that's what the pros will need (if they don't switch over to Hackint0sh). There's the chance of the Mac Pro GPU being user-replaceable, but it'll use a proprietary connector. PCI-based GPUs are cheap and powerful. PCI-based storage is fast.

----------

So....

I simply wait a couple months, and I can get a nearly 20% larger display for $400 less?

Thanks Dell! You just un-sold me.

The larger one is lower quality.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I think this piece helps people set their expectation on Apple's pricing - it won't be cheap for sure!

Also, in case Apple doesn't launch their own 4k display alongside the Mac Pro, the pro's will know their options.

Don't know why everyone automatically thinks that Apple's pricing will be more. If you compare the pricing on the 27" TBD to competitors' units that have the same specs Apple is usually the same price, and in some cases even cheaper.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
Don't know why everyone automatically thinks that Apple's pricing will be more. If you compare the pricing on the 27" TBD to competitors' units that have the same specs Apple is usually the same price, and in some cases even cheaper.

No, I already tried that. You can't really do that because most other displays don't have built-in cameras and speakers, but going by screen specifications, there are cheaper options. The TBD has virtues besides specs for some people.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
All are 4K. The price appears to be a mistake.

Yes but 4K on a 28 inch screen means lower pixel density than 4K on a 24 inch screen. The poster meant that the denser packed pixels on the smaller screen would lead to more expensive production costs.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
You know, when is Apple just going to admit this Thunderbolt of theirs is a joke; no one else has adopted it, and it's just too expensive for what few accessories out there.

TB isn't for you. its not a casual consumer bus.

Can't wait for the MacPro with its octopus-like Thunderbolt cable extensions linking everything to the motherbeast.

if you dont think pros are excited about the Pro, then again -- it isn't for you.

P.S. Yes, I'm an Apple user and have been since 1990. I just don't like this walled-in-garden approach they've been taking since 2007.

if you were an old apple user you'd know there is absolutely nothing new (2007) about apple's walled garden philosophy. the original mac had the same exact guiding principles. and its served them well -- they are the most profitable mobile maker *and* PC maker, both. the rest of the industry starves, they thrive. guess they're doing something right.

----------

Yeah, but with the new Mac Pro design, that's what the pros will need (if they don't switch over to Hackint0sh). There's the chance of the Mac Pro GPU being user-replaceable, but it'll use a proprietary connector. PCI-based GPUs are cheap and powerful. PCI-based storage is fast.

no. pros will use the new Pro for several years and then retire it, getting the new pro. it's a capital expense, one to be used and written off and replaced. if you dont do this, you aren't a pro. sorry.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
No, I already tried that. You can't really do that because most other displays don't have built-in cameras and speakers, but going by screen specifications, there are cheaper options. The TBD has virtues besides specs for some people.

Umm, Here's a hint: Displays that don't have built-in cameras and speakers do not have the same specs as the TBD. If you want something that doesn't have those specs/features, buy it. My point was that, apples to apples (no pun intended) the TBD is NOT more expensive than comparably spec'd monitors.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
You are partially true, so also partially wrong. Thunderbolt port on the Mac side is indeed convertible to DP, HDMI or DVI. That's why you can connect Mac with TB to any display, including this Dell display assuming you have the right adapter and connectors.

But Thunderbolt Display is NOT the same as you might realize. Its input is for TB computers exclusively although it looks exactly the same as mDP port. So even if you have the right adapter it just won't work. What kind of $999 monitor which does that? That could be misleading for average joe.

Okay Apple could not care about connecting Windows PCs to its own display. But how about pre 2011 Macs? Those are their own products, no?
Even Lightning has an adapter for 30pin dock so old cable and accessorizes can still be used. Why break the chain all of so sudden?

Yes, Thunderbolt is an all in one solution for video and data. But if you're professional you already have so many devices and cables already. Does it really matter to just save a mere one or two cables while adding the cost significantly?
You can still perfectly use TB port on a Mac while connecting it to a HDMI monitor (i.e rMBP, new MacPro and Mac Mini). No harm done.

That's true that non thunderbolt computers can't use the TB display, but I don't think Apple cares. Yes pre 2011 macs are their own products, but Apple is known to cut off support if they deem it obsolete. For example FireWire.

TB is a video/data solution, but it can also daisy chain.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
So you can do Retina (300 or higher ppi) on a 7.9" iPad mini, an 9.4" iPad Air, a 13" and 15" MacBook Pro.

But not an 11" or 13" MacBook Air.

You can do 4k (140-185 ppi) on a monitor for a 24" monitor, a 28" monitor and a 32" monitor.

But not on a 22" monitor?

I'm confused.

I prefer using two 22" monitors. I'd really rather go with that than one giant one. Guess there won't be an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.