Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkautosports

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
New York, NY
I called Apple Customer Service and attempted to change my shipping to Next Day (instead of 2-3 day)... and he told me that it's not possible, and that anyone who is saying otherwise is making it up.

When I asked him about others' orders shipping before mine, especially since I should have been one of the first ordering, he went on to imply that people on MacRumors post fake screen shots. He said "the problem is that you don't know any of these strangers, so it's not always the best idea to believe what you see. These people post all kinds of things to get customers riled up."

He went further to say that Apple, as a company, always ships orders on a first-come, first-serve basis... and that mine is not delayed... that it is "being put together and shipped as scheduled."

What do you guys think about a rep saying this?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I called Apple Customer Service and attempted to change my shipping to Next Day (instead of 2-3 day)... and he told me that it's not possible, and that anyone who is saying otherwise is making it up.

When I asked him about others' orders shipping before mine, especially since I should have been one of the first ordering, he went on to imply that people on MacRumors post fake screen shots. He said "the problem is that you don't know any of these strangers, so it's not always the best idea to believe what you see. These people post all kinds of things to get customers riled up."

He went further to say that Apple, as a company, always ships orders on a first-come, first-serve basis... and that mine is not delayed... that it is "being put together and shipped as scheduled."

What do you guys think about a rep saying this?

Well, given that mine was ordered on day 1 at 12:03am PST, and that after a quick call to Apple my order status says "Next Day," and that it hasn't left the "Processing" stage, I'd say that rep was talking nonsense.

Don't forget, likely none of these reps have ever dealt with "real-world" orderings themselves, so have no clue. Actually, I think calling is a giant waste of time when it comes to finding out anything useful about these orders.

Mine says:

27-inch iMac
Show Configuration Details
Available to ship: 2 - 3 Weeks
Delivers Dec 21 - Dec 28 via Next Day Shipping

Khadgar

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
My status has just changed on my iMac to being shipped. My status changed to preparing for shipment early yesterday. To be delivered on the 14th.

For anyone attempting to find a pattern... :D

Last name starts with a W
BTO iMac: i7, 3TB fusion, upgraded video, stock RAM
Louisiana
Ordered on 11/30 at 7:35 AM PST

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
My status has just changed on my iMac to being shipped. My status changed to preparing for shipment early yesterday. To be delivered on the 14th.

Louisiana

I hate you.

*refreshes orders page*

MiddKid

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012

Louisiana

Damn...same config here but ordered 12:11am PST...yeah...still Processing...

(B last name, Oregon)

Khadgar

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Aww... don't hate me. I don't completely understand this mess either. I will say I've gotten through this without calling Apple once.

EDIT: Oh and by looking at the times on FedEx my Mac shipped out of China when it changed to "Preparing for Shipment" if the times stamped are Chinese times. So, anyone who has "Preparing for Shipment" might have theirs already shipped.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Aww... don't hate me. I don't completely understand this mess either. I will say I've gotten through this without calling Apple once.

EDIT: Oh and by looking at the times on FedEx my Mac shipped out of China when it changed to "Preparing for Shipment" if the times stamped are Chinese times. So, anyone who has "Preparing for Shipment" might have theirs already shipped.

Congrats, im joking of course:)

Khadgar

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Anyone try to track theirs by reference? The reference number for my package was 8236590277 (but there might be more... mine came out of Shanghai), so perhaps if you filled out the FedEx form you might be able to see where yours is at before Apple updates their website.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hate you people with expedited shipping :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

Oh there is so much hate in this thread. :D :D :D

Oh, and as an update, I know I checked about 7 seconds ago (I'm slipping from my usual 6-second-refresh intervals), but guess what!? Yup, still processing. I know I was slow getting my order in at 12:03am PST, but come on, Apple! I definitely do want a new iMac! Just because I took a few minutes deciding whether to get a fusion drive and an i7, don't think this shows indecision - it doesn't! Seriously - I really want a new iMac!

Forgive me, Apple!

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
It would appear that "Preparing for Shipment" is a 24hr deal. My status went there yesterday evening PST. Tonight, ~ 22:30 PST it changed.

:)

*Shipped*
i7, stock memory, 3TB Fusion, 680MX, Pages, Numbers, 01:45 Nov 30, W, No CA. HAPPY DANCE

For those still waiting for movement on their orders? Only good thoughts and best wishes for a happy holiday. May you get yours soon! ;)

Clearly, no rhyme or reason to this order/production/shipping thing, at all.

I think Long Duck Dong is on a stationary bike in the logistics center, peddling like a drunken fool.

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It would appear that "Preparing for Shipment" is a 24hr deal. My status went there yesterday evening PST. Tonight, ~ 22:30 PST it changed.

:)

*Shipped*
i7, stock memory, 3TB Fusion, 680MX, Pages, Numbers, 01:45 Nov 30, W, No CA. HAPPY DANCE

So...much.....hate....

Congratulations! *grumble grumble...*

MiddKid

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
*Shipped*

Well...on that note (another exact same config as me minus Pages and Numbers that was ordered after mine) I go to bed. Funny side note...after my iMac I ordered a FW/Thunderbolt adapter. So all day the first item on my order history has been shipped and the second was the processing iMac. Well my wife ordered an iPhoto photo book so when I hit refresh this last time suddenly the second item on my list was "Shipped." My heart skipped! Until I noticed the lowly iMac sitting in 3rd place now...Processing...ugh.

Look forward to the alarm going off tomorrow, grabbing the iPad, and seeing...Processing...

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
I ordered my 27 inch fully loaded iMac (except 8GB ram, will upgrade with Corsair) the day they went on sale around 1700 EST time and I've called twice for the elusive next day shipping and have been told twice it is not possible with shipments coming from overseas and that 2-3 days is the best they could do. I also had to call and get my expedited shipping fee waived which was zero hassle as previously mentioned.

I agree that next day shipping from China is all but impossible for the East Coast however I asked if the shipping estimates were based on when they arrived stateside and I was told no.

I've read every page but don't recall if anyone has actually posted an image of next day shipping on their order (if so please link the post) if i can find one ill email that pic to the rep when I call again while on phone with them.

But thinking outside the box as some are told not possible and some seem to have some success with next day shipping that I wonder if the next day shipping applies to iMacs manufactured in the US? That would make sense to a point but then unsure how they would be making the determination which macs are produced where as the next day shipping seems to be elusive.

ucas98

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
Woo! Just this second switched to Shipped. Delivery to Sydney, AU.

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5

It's saying it's via TNT, and that "Shipment Received At Origin Depot. Amman"

--
Oddly, it's saying "Pickup date: 04 Dec 2012" so I think that TNT is broken somewhat (happen's a lot). I'm guessing that the tracking code Apple is using is being confused by TNT.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

1TB Fusion Drive

--
Oddly, it's saying "Pickup date: 04 Dec 2012" so I think that TNT is broken somewhat (happen's a lot). I'm guessing that the tracking code Apple is using is being confused by TNT.
did yours go from processing to shipped? Or it was on preparing for shipment?

Shpenza

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Barcelona

1TB Fusion Drive

--

damn you, another lucky man :) At what time was your order placed on the 30th?

Vandefilm

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
I may have an explanation about the shipping dates. Especially when the iMac's have to come from china, the process of them beiing put through the whole shebang of arriving at the postal service (TNT, FedEx, whatever) and putting it on the plane can vary much in terms of time. Sometimes it takes one day, sometimes even up to four. That could be the reason some people get their iMac a little earlier than other who have ordered before them.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
I really feel for everyone that is still awaiting movement on your order.

If it is any consolation to you, this is my first Mac, a purchase that I've been planning on for ~ three years, and waiting for most of '12 for the product refresh.

Good thoughts, your iMacs will adorn your desks for Christmas. ;)

ucas98

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
damn you, another lucky man :) At what time was your order placed on the 30th?

Bang on 12:00am San Francisco time, 07:00pm Sydney time (based on the timestamp of the confirmation email. I actually remember submitting the order about 4-5 minutes earlier).

It was very nerve-wracking as I did it all from my iPhone in a supermarket, and I was on 3% of battery. There was also low signal, so I had to run out to the carpark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.