Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrPepe

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2016
This probably isn't the issue, but I changed display settings from scaled 1280 x 800 back to default for display (1440 x 900) and haven't had the glitch in over a week. Can someone confirm they've gotten the glitch with default for display setting?

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007
This probably isn't the issue, but I changed display settings from scaled 1280 x 800 back to default for display (1440 x 900) and haven't had the glitch in over a week. Can someone confirm they've gotten the glitch with default for display setting?

Very interesting! I'm using 1280 X 800...

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Interestingly, the glitch appears to have stopped. I have been unable to reproduce it on my machine for the last several days. Not sure what could have caused it to stop.

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007
Interestingly, the glitch appears to have stopped. I have been unable to reproduce it on my machine for the last several days. Not sure what could have caused it to stop.

Good karma? :)

More often than not, mine doesn't do it. Then just when I think it is gone, surprise! It makes it hard to find what it causing it.

I think I'll set a different screen resolution for the overnight sleep tonight and see what happens...

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I'm still running 1280x800. I'm more worried the issue will start happening again after Jan 8!

I'll report back if I see it again.

Last edited:

KayM8

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Having the same issue. I got it once after waking from a 5hr sleep and once after waking from a 8hr sleep. On both times it went after closing the lid and opening it again. Base MBP here - non touchbar, 256gb, 8gb RAM, on Sierra 10.12.2. I have display scaled to the one with everything one step larger than default as well.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Unfortunately, the problem did happen again this morning. The machine was woken up after about 20 hours. The last few days, it was sleeping for < 8 hours.

It's also possible this happened today because I rebooted the machine the last time I used it. I'll let it sleep for 6-8 hours tonight and see if it happens tomorrow.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
knock on wood, base nTB, also on 10.12.0, Not seen one graphical glitch. had the machine for at a few weeks now and used every day

I have seen it on 1536x960 on login screen sometimes, on my 12" rMB on Sierra, but never El Cap

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I am also having sleep wake issues, specially when connected to an external monitor (USBC 4K). I have to disconnect the cable, hold down the power button so it shuts off, and restart.

youness

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
i had the same issue, the glitch was present when i needed to log after opening the lid.So i returned the macbook and they gave me a new one .
The bug appeared again on the new macbook .
Apparently it's only when you are in scaled resolution.
I contacted apple with the online chat and they told me to do two things to solve this problem :
Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
and

reset NVRAM

I did the manipulation today so i can't tell you if it worked ,i will use my mac normally and i will see if this issue is fixed.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
i had the same issue, the glitch was present when i needed to log after opening the lid.So i returned the macbook and they gave me a new one .
The bug appeared again on the new macbook .
Apparently it's only when you are in scaled resolution.
I contacted apple with the online chat and they told me to do two things to solve this problem :
Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
and

reset NVRAM

I did the manipulation today so i can't tell you if it worked ,i will use my mac normally and i will see if this issue is fixed.

RCElectricFlyer already tried this (see posts in this thread on Dec 22 post #45 and Dec 23 post #49) and it didn't fix the issue.

PS: The problem just happened as I woke the computer up from a 4 hour sleep while connected to the charger. This is the first time it has done it when opened after being connected to the charger.

Last edited:

youness

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
i think it's a software otherwise it's a problem with some construction series of the macbook pro 2016 of October or November.
I don't know if i'm waiting for the 10.2.3 Sierra update or should i a return the Macbook an other time.
The problem is when i returned the first ,the guy who received me said:
"ohh we are going to change the screen, uuhhh you are in the return delay so we are going to giving you a brand new one instead of waiting the reparation".

I said to the guy "but the screen is fine ,it s just a bug witch appear when i need to log after sleep" XD

he said "we are going to replace it so you'll be happy with a new machine" ^^

I was happy until it appeared again :'(

Last edited:

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Yeah, it's a bummer. I'm in the same boat--return it or wait for software fix. Since a software fix will not show up until after Jan 8, I think I will most likely be returning the machine. I want to see if I can get to the point where I can reproduce it so I can demonstrate it at the store.

youness

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
i showed the video i took of the glitch at the store and they weren't asking for seing the bug with their own eyes ^^
[doublepost=1483052232][/doublepost]And in addition of this bug , i can hear something moving inside the mac when i'm shaking it horizontally xD

KayM8

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Interesting, I've previously had the glitch when waking up from a 8hr sleep and a 5hr sleep but didn't get it today when I woke it from a 11hr sleep.. *knocks on wood* (base nTB)

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007
I woke the computer from an extended sleep this morning with 1440X900 resolution with no issue. Will try again tomorrow...

I'm still betting on a software/driver issue.

Have any others initiated a case with Apple on this? I did a few days ago. It is case #100095456915 if others would like to reference it. It might be good to have strength in numbers.

In my chat with Apple support I referenced this forum and videos of the problem on YouTube along with the likelihood it is most prevalent at 1280X800 resolution.

Question - has anyone tried to see if it occurs with different user accounts?

jimgl

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2016
Interesting, I've previously had the glitch when waking up from a 8hr sleep and a 5hr sleep but didn't get it today when I woke it from a 11hr sleep.. *knocks on wood* (base nTB)

I had the same experience. I have not been able to reproduce the display glitch using 1280 x 800 resolution this week. Thank you RCElectricFlyer for documenting and submitting the case to Apple support.

Jim

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I had the same experience. I have not been able to reproduce the display glitch using 1280 x 800 resolution this week. Thank you RCElectricFlyer for documenting and submitting the case to Apple support.

Have you tried rebooting? I went through a few days where the problem stopped. I rebooted and it has been back ever since.

jimgl

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2016
The "grid of pixels" display glitch happened again this afternoon waking up after a 5 hour sleep. The laptop was sitting on a table next to an outside wall and the aluminum case was cold. This is definitely a temperature related problem. As others have noted, the display clears after reopening the lid.

Jim

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
My base model 13" nTb with 10.2.1 was doing the blinking thing too when I woke it from an overnight sleep so I returned it.

guy_mac

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016
How the F can apple allow for so many problem ridden laptops to be sold? Obviously, as the largest company in the world, there is enormous room for error but 80% of the threads in this subsection are devoted to defects, bugs and documented complaints about this revision.

This is starting to get really ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.