Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
Android users spend 30% less time on apps, and iOS is clearly the dominant force when it comes to the network effect. Power Users prefer iOS.

Source.

In my opinion, power users use the galaxy note 2. It multitasks 2 apps on one screen, has lots of processing power, and has a huge battery.

For most "power" users the battery wouldn't last a day on an iphone 5

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
In my opinion, power users use the galaxy note 2. It multitasks 2 apps on one screen, has lots of processing power, and has a huge battery.

I consider myself a power user and I hated the Note 2. Plus I'm not sure why you equate multitasking with being a power user.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

what are the sales.numbers for the Note 2? does it.put numbers up that are even in the same league as the iphone?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
• iOS 7 and it's exclusive features for the 5S like fingerprint scanner and others.

We have no idea if it will have exclusive features. The iPhone 5 broke the mold in that there really were no exclusive features (yes, I know, minor things like sound cancellation in the mic, etc.). Will the 5S be the same? Who knows.

The fingerprint thing is a very vague rumor. I'd be shocked if we saw any such tech in the next release of the iPhone.

----------

what are the sales.numbers for the Note 2? does it.put numbers up that are even in the same league as the iphone?

Very few users would be actually considered power users. Well, I guess we would have to define power users, but I would define those as a person who uses their phone heavily throughout the day for business, or some such. Sales numbers mean diddly when talking about a power user. All sales numbers means is that one phone is more appealing to the masses (read: not power users) than the other.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
The iPhone 5S will be the same as the iPhone 5. Same design, same screen size. The only thing new is processor and RAM. Maybe camera. Just like iPhone 4 to 4S

Sorry guys but the bump from the 4 to the 4S was significant in the processors department. I'm on the road alot and have a 4S 64gb and the games I played on my 4 sucked a** compared to the 4S. I love my console but the 4S and my selection of games made me a believer when accepting an iPhone as a viable gaming platform. I have all the larger titles such as nova series, modern combat series, need for speed series, dead space, mass effect, real racing series, spider-man mayhem and the other spider man by gameloft, batman the darknight, aralon and wildblood, real racing series, sacred odyssey, gangstar rio, gta 3, SF volt, SF vs TK, after burner climax, Infinity blade series, and soooo much more and I have beaten about 60% of them. The dual core processor really enhanced the gameplay by 2 to 3 fold. I expect the 5S to be able to deliver next gen capabilities!! Lookin forward to it!!

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Android users spend 30% less time on apps, and iOS is clearly the dominant force when it comes to the network effect. Power Users prefer iOS.

Source.

I was wondering how they measured app usage on Android and how they tracked widget usage. For instance, I have a widget on my home screen that displays tweets and look at it every day. However, I use a Twitter app maybe only a few times a month. I have a calendar widget on my home screen as well and have not used the calendar app as far as I can remember.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Generally, the best upgrade path is getting every other iPhone. People squawk and whine how each iteration is drastically better/life changing than the previous years but, if you stand back....not really. People confuse a nice upgrade, which each years undoubtedly is, with an essential one. Big difference.

Historically, I think the only essential upgrade was escaping the 3G after two years. iOS4 essentially changed a perfectly adequate, if dated, phone into a slow pita.

Not that it matters, but I'm contract free unlocked (UK) and can upgrade whenever I choose too.

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
Finger Print Scanner, are you all serious? that's the lamest thing what could be on a phone for real, better off doing an iris scan on the front facing camera for unlocking, all this gimmicky **** no one needs.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

That's a "hobby user" if anything. Screen is still far too small to be useful for anything but gee-wizardry demo's.

Statistics don't lie. Android users, by and large, are using their phones for texting and phone calls. They hardly even access the internet. They don't buy as many apps and use those they do buy even less. It could be because of the inferior nature of the apps themselves, or the lack of sophistication on the part of the user base. Many don't even realize how to buy an app for their phone and those that do often turn to piracy instead. They are both less educated and less affluent, making them far more easily manipulated into believing that more specs = more value. The argument for Android being "best" almost always resides on the "better specs!" argument because, frankly, the user base actually believes this is the only factor that matters for usability and usefulness. But if you read carefully, most admit to being "bored" with their current gizmo....which only goes to prove that they are not only easily manipulated by marketing, but also severely attention deficient. Again...hallmarks of the demographic in general. This is fundamentally why fewer developers choose Android for their business plans versus iOS. They go where the money and opportunity is greatest, and its not with Android OS.

If Android was a car, it would be a Pontiac. Lots of switches, dials and pretty lights. But still a Chevy in a gadget-filled cheap package.

Last edited:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Finger Print Scanner, are you all serious? .

I agree, a finger print scanner sounds incredibly naff and, dare I say it, Samsung-y. I'm not anti Samsung per se, but it does sound far more up their alley than Apple's.

DawnM

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2012
Unless the iphone comes out with a larger screen, I will be doing the same. I hate leaving Apple as I love all things Apple (have a Macbook, an iMac, two ipads, and 2 iphones in the family) but I just can't do what I need to do on that tiny screen.

I really do not want to carry an ipad and a phone when there are devices out there that can accommodate both.

Dawn

Have to say that I just sold my iphone 5 32gb and went to the galaxy s4. Android has improved so much since I last used it ( Droid 2 on gingerbread ) was the last time I used it. Yes, that phone sucked.

But anyway, with what apps I use and the tasks I do, not to mention the screen, I just had to make the switch.

I do miss taking pictures the iphone 5 and when I get home they are ready to edit in iphoto but taking the extra step to upload to google drive is not that big of deal. Still have the ipad 4 and I am excited to see what ios 7 brings but for me the iphone just didn't do it anymore.

People waiting on the 5s, should really take a good look at the s4, htc one, or note 3 (when it comes out)... Personal opinion

----------

What did you hate about the Note?

I consider myself a power user and I hated the Note 2. Plus I'm not sure why you equate multitasking with being a power user.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I am not so sure the 5S will be all that, considering they are minor upgrades, it will be interesting to see. Also do not forget a lot of people went to Android since the Samsung and HTC phones have been getting better, so it might dig a little into Apple's projections.

For me, I will stick with iOS6 on my 5 and be happy, and for my MBP I just got one in 2012, so no new Mac for me, will be interesting to see what is coming out of Apple in the next few months though.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

Source.

This post is a perfect example of the bias of people on these boards. You assume most iPhone users are like you: Techie. Into the most current gadgets and features. Uses their smartphones for everything.

I don't know the numbers but I am willing to bet 90% of iPhone users are just regular folks who are not "power users". These regular folks is what makes up the majority of the iPhone base, not "power users".

Example: People in my immediate life who have an iPhone.

Me - Power User
Wife- Uses less than five apps
Mother - Uses no apps
Father - Uses less than five apps
Sister-in-Law - Uses no apps
Uncle - Uses no apps
Aunt - Uses no apps
Cousin - Power User

What you need to understand is Apple is not marketing toward the techie group. If you haven't already watch Tim Cook's 1.5 hour interview with All Things D. He even stays it flat out. This is why Apple will not offer a phone with so many options. Apple has done well because they created a phone simple to use. A phone you don't need to read the manual or have an IT degree to fully understand. And, if they are smart they will follow that same business plan (just like Tim Cook said they are in his interview).

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
It's funny how everyone just assumes there will be a 5S because there was a 4S and a 3GS but if Apple really wanted to hit a home run and take back the market they'd skip a 5S and give us the iPhone 6 with everything the current iPhone lacks! All of the speculation is just that, speculation... I've been an iPhone guy for a long time but I've never seen a group of people pontificate over something that has yet to even be announced like Apple fans do!

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
5s

I'm sure you'd love for Apple to come busting out with a great product, but all rumors point to the 5S having minor upgrades and that's about it. Nothing ground breaking or truly innovative enough to draw new customers. They came out with Siri and while it was fun for a few months, I use Siri less than once a month now and it's only for calling people while driving. Siri is no longer a make/break feature.

The phone will do well, but nothing like before. Too many consumers have already moved to Samsung. And, just like Apple users once you're on a platform it's very hard to leave since you spend money on apps, etc.

I could not agree more. This will be a dud. Innovation has left the building at Apple.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
4S owner here. I'm actually waiting for the 6. My 4S is going strong.

I'm really tempted to follow this as well, but I'm afraid for me the hugest upgrade of the 5s isn't really going to be 5s-specific.

It's LTE.

Not having that sucks, esp when I'm on a corp premier plan that truly will let me use unlimited LTE without hassle.

I probably won't be able to resist unless the S in 5S stands for STD or something.

dewthedru

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I've been an iPhone guy for a long time but I've never seen a group of people pontificate over something that has yet to even be announced like Apple fans do!

we're on an online forum....called MACRUMORS!!! this place was built for that activity. if you don't want to read people reporting, digesting, and refuting rumors about mac products, perhaps this isn't the best place to spent time.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That's a "hobby user" if anything. Screen is still far too small to be useful for anything but gee-wizardry demo's.

Statistics don't lie. Android users, by and large, are using their phones for texting and phone calls. They hardly even access the internet. They don't buy as many apps and use those they do buy even less. It could be because of the inferior nature of the apps themselves, or the lack of sophistication on the part of the user base. Many don't even realize how to buy an app for their phone and those that do often turn to piracy instead. They are both less educated and less affluent, making them far more easily manipulated into believing that more specs = more value. The argument for Android being "best" almost always resides on the "better specs!" argument because, frankly, the user base actually believes this is the only factor that matters for usability and usefulness. But if you read carefully, most admit to being "bored" with their current gizmo....which only goes to prove that they are not only easily manipulated by marketing, but also severely attention deficient. Again...hallmarks of the demographic in general. This is fundamentally why fewer developers choose Android for their business plans versus iOS. They go where the money and opportunity is greatest, and its not with Android OS.

If Android was a car, it would be a Pontiac. Lots of switches, dials and pretty lights. But still a Chevy in a gadget-filled cheap package.

Meh, I think by and large most people just use a smart phone to talk and text. I'm in the minority of everyone I know that actually tries to utilize everything the iPhone has to offer. I only know a couple people with Android phones and they are both very well educated and very wealthy. But like the iPhone users I know they don't bother with apps really, just text and phone calls.

I don't put much merit in those statistics. Everyone has an iPhone. We have been remodeling a house for habitats for humanity and everyone in the house uses and iPhone. I see high schoolers with then etc. I think its too popular to but any faith in those stats.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
This post is a perfect example of the bias of people on these boards. You assume most iPhone users are like you: Techie. Into the most current gadgets and features. Uses their smartphones for everything.

I don't know the numbers but I am willing to bet 90% of iPhone users are just regular folks who are not "power users". These regular folks is what makes up the majority of the iPhone base, not "power users".

Example: People in my immediate life who have an iPhone.

Me - Power User
Wife- Uses less than five apps
Mother - Uses no apps
Father - Uses less than five apps
Sister-in-Law - Uses no apps
Uncle - Uses no apps
Aunt - Uses no apps
Cousin - Power User

I don't put much merit in those statistics. Everyone has an iPhone. We have been remodeling a house for habitats for humanity and everyone in the house uses and iPhone. I see high schoolers with then etc. I think its too popular to but any faith in those stats.

Bias is when you believe everyone else is just like you, and then go on to base your entire perspectives in life based ONLY on that which is immediately visible to you from your unique perspective.

Looking at objective demographic data, however, is where you start to see the "big picture" and realize that your own little world is not, in fact, the "big picture."

Per ComScore, Giga, Flurry and many others, the average US consumer with a smartphone now uses it about 2.5 hours per day. Most of that (80%) is spent using Apps.

This is for both iOS and Android. Android users, however, use Apps much LESS than do iOS users. Again, empirical evidence...not personal conjecture based on asking Aunt Mae and your cousin how they use their phones.

You can believe what you want. I tend to believe objective data based on scientific analysis versus forum posters who post a lopsided opinion.

More good reading.....

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
we're on an online forum....called MACRUMORS!!! this place was built for that activity. if you don't want to read people reporting, digesting, and refuting rumors about mac products, perhaps this isn't the best place to spent time.

Down boy... that's a good boy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.