Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Wow. The app store is doing very well.

Probably a bit of a surge at first, and will level out a bit lower.

However, more new apps will be introduced which should offset that.

I'd disagree, with the rate iPhones are selling at, the app sales rate is going to go through the roof, IMO.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Their transaction costs may be low but don't the profits from the priced applications also pay for server/hosting costs of the free applications?

Sure, but $100 million a year? Compared to Apple's other revenue streams, it's pretty small potatoes, but $100 million a year in the first year is impressive.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Jeez... and just wait till what kind of apps we will see in a year from now.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No it isn't. It's $100MM in revenue. Revenue is not profit. Profit is Revenue-Overheads. Apple have a lot of overheads to cover out of that $100MM. First of all they have to pay for the servers and datacenters they live in to power the app store. Then they have to pay for all the bandwidth. And the programmers/support staff who keep the app store up and running. In the end they are likely to make close to nothing...

Revenue is projected at $360 million, of which roughly $100 million is not paid out to developers. Apple's profit is net that $100 million. I don't think it's realist to assume that Apple's operational costs are anywhere in the neighborhood of $100 million a year. Keep in mind that their share of revenue on the iTMS is generally assumed to be in the low single digits, and they still make money on it. Jobs seems to be downplaying the profitability of the App Store, even though he acknowledges that it could become a billion dollar business.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I'd disagree, with the rate iPhones are selling at, the app sales rate is going to go through the roof, IMO.
Yes, the iPhone is selling great.

I would suggest that individuals are downloading many apps because the store is new.

As the newness wears off sales will decrease.

However, as I stated in my post above, new apps will be introduced and spur sales. So initial climb, leveling off (even a possible decrease), then increasing over time.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I don't think it's realist to assume that Apple's operational costs are anywhere in the neighborhood of $100 million a year.

Unfortunately we'll almost certainly never know. The profit will probably just get lumped into one of the existing categories on the financial reporting. There will be no way to separate out the app store by either income or costs so we'll all be left guessing...

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Unfortunately we'll almost certainly never know. The profit will probably just get lumped into one of the existing categories on the financial reporting. There will be no way to separate out the app store by either income or costs so we'll all be left guessing...
Anybody know how much it costs for the credit card charges on the 99 cent sales?

I believe Visa/MC charge a percentage of the sale down to a certain amount. Then from that point, it is a flat fee.

Anybody know if this is correct?

zgh1999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Yes yes yes.

Every God-loving person on Mother Earth ought to buy one iPhone 3G for himself/herself, and then buy another iPhone 3G for his/her loved ones.

Then, eveyone with an iPhone should go to itunes store and download apps and music and movies, and then go out and buy a mac desktop, laptop, and Apple cinema display.

AAPL to $300/share.

I love $$$$$!

mtor82

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
Florida
lol i submitted this info to macrumors haha yay!

But yea i was really surprised when i saw those numbers.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
This is excellent news! I'm a huge fan of the potential of the App Store. Sure there are some problems, but I think these will all be worked out over time.

I tend to lean more towards the free apps, but I've bought a few of the lower-priced ones. Although I do have my eye on Teleport, but for $25 I want to make sure it works smoothly before buying.

Yzma: Pull the lever, Kronk. (Kronk does so and sends her falling through the wrong hole)
Yzma: (while falling) Wrong lever!
Yzma: (walks back, soaking wet) Why do we even have that lever?​
You joined to say that? :rolleyes:

Pssh. You obviously have no sense of humor! ;)

Demon Llama!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I tend to lean more towards the free apps, but I've bought a few of the lower-priced ones. Although I do have my eye on Teleport, but for $25 I want to make sure it works smoothly before buying.
I think most have probably gone the free route.

IMHO, within a year, we will see much more expensive apps being offered.

Ones that come to mind:
- Word processor
- Spreadsheet
- Presentation
- Database (iFileMaker or FileMaker Mobile)
- Photo editing
- Some utility apps
- More games
- More powerful calculators like the HP-12C emulator.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yes, the iPhone is selling great.

I would suggest that individuals are downloading many apps because the store is new.

As the newness wears off sales will decrease.

If the iPhone is selling great, then there will be a continuous influx of new customers for the App Store (nearly 1 million per month?). For them it will be a new and not a worn off experience.

The burst of people who purchased apps before the 3G even went on sale is gone, but that's got to only be a few percent.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
If the iPhone is selling great, then there will be a continuous influx of new customers for the App Store (nearly 1 million per month?). For them it will be a new and not a worn off experience.

The burst of people who purchased apps before the 3G even went on sale is gone, but that's got to only be a few percent.
Good point.

We shall see.

Nonetheless, this is a great time for developers and should be well into the future and the iPhone/Touch platform matures.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Good point.

We shall see.

Nonetheless, this is a great time for developers and should be well into the future and the iPhone/Touch platform matures.

Funnily enough, the biggest problem for developers might turn out to be the number of applications!

Small developers on the iPhone might have the same problem they have on the Windows platform - there are so many developers out there it's hard to get your app noticed. With the deluge of apps likely on the App Store, I can easily see that happening!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Funnily enough, the biggest problem for developers might turn out to be the number of applications!
I expect we will see the app store change like iTMS did in the early days with easier access to desired applications based on price, area, ratings, etc.

Small developers on the iPhone might have the same problem they have on the Windows platform - there are so many developers out there it's hard to get your app noticed. With the deluge of apps likely on the App Store, I can easily see that happening!
Completely agree with your point.

Like how many flashlights do you need. Or calculators. ;)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

But we can still make educated guesses, right?

I think the most interesting part of Apple's success in selling applications is that it puts the lie to the idea that they were forced into it. I've always believed that Apple intended from the start for the iPhone and touch to be complete computing platforms with third-party applications, but when they didn't do it right away, the cry went up that it was a "typical Apple" closed platform and always would be. Even when the SDK was released, much of the media reported that Apple was doing so "reluctantly."

That was a silly assumption, if only because it was based on cliches about Apple that go back about a million years. If we've learned anything about Apple, it's that they do things in their own way and in their own time.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
IMHO, this is where a device like the OQO shines, because you can use the full version of the Office app and not some limited version like the mobile Office apps.

Sure. Did you know that the OQO was created by former Apple engineers that approached Steve Jobs for this kind of portable Mac, but being refused created their own company? Amazing. Hopefully, Apple will release a similar device, perhaps based on the new Intel Atom chip, like a small tablet (5-inch or so). That is what we need. The editing is not so important. The full blown presentation from a handheld device is. Whatever the price. With Mac OS X inside, FireWire and Ethernet we are sold!

lcm123

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
SDk

Does the iphone SDK work on Windows or Mac G5? if not, i think all of the potential developers and SDK enthusiats without the intel-mac would mean more sales of the new macs to come.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Does the iphone SDK work on Windows or Mac G5? if not, i think all of the potential developers and SDK enthusiats without the intel-mac would mean more sales of the new macs to come.

No the SDK is only available on Intel Macs. Not on Windows. Not on any PPC Mac.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Sure. Did you know that the OQO was created by former Apple engineers that approached Steve Jobs for this kind of portable Mac, but being refused created their own company? Amazing.
Yep, sure did.

Hopefully, Apple will release a similar device, perhaps based on the new Intel Atom chip, like a small tablet (5-inch or so). That is what we need. The editing is not so important. The full blown presentation from a handheld device is. Whatever the price. With Mac OS X inside, FireWire and Ethernet we are sold!
We shall see.

No the SDK is only available on Intel Macs. Not on Windows. Not on any PPC Mac.
Yep, only for Intel Macs. No PPC support. :(

glennyboiwpg

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
what a joke

it is so nice for them to publish all these amazing numbers

however noone really cares to properlly report the ****** treatment and support given to developers that are fuelling this money machine

with all those millions earned there really is no reason for not replying to requests for whole weeks is it ?

i am being so verbal because as a registered developer with approved apps for over a week but blocked from the store for mysterious contractual reasons i have been completelly unable to get any reply from them to all my info / support requests

a little visit to the dev forums easily shows i am not the only one

btw, my apps are a series midi controllers for the iphone,
the 1st submitted over 3 weeks ago

I don't mean to be rude, but for all the developers out there saying that apple's support for the app store sucks did you ever think about cutting them some slack as the app store has only been open for how long? a month?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.