Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
Which one will you buy?

Is 128GB really necessary?

yes i think its necessayry someone opened a thread with anger because out 32gb he can only use 18gb because of ios and other data which needs to run the tablet. With 18gb maybe you will take some picture, put videos, take notes. At the end of day i guess you will need more than 18gb. Then you will need to delete this delete that to accomodate other stuff you want to put on ipp.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
yes i think its necessayry someone opened a thread with anger because out 32gb he can only use 18gb because of ios and other data which needs to run the tablet. With 18gb maybe you will take some picture, put videos, take notes. At the end of day i guess you will need more than 18gb. Then you will need to delete this delete that to accomodate other stuff you want to put on ipp.

If you read the thread, I think you'll find that the 18GB was after he or she loaded his or her chosen apps.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
If you read the thread, I think you'll find that the 18GB was after he or she loaded his or her chosen apps.

sorry for my lack of knowledge thanks for pointing it out. It's 26.4gb it depends how you use it, its a big device you will be tempted to put some media on it. It all depends how you want to use it. For me it's less.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
sorry for my lack of knowledge thanks for pointing it out. It's 26.4gb it depends how you use it...

Not a matter of your lack of knowledge. It took several posts in this thread before someone pointed out that the original poster's numbers made no sense unless the 18GB number was after installation of a number of apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zune55

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
That is my conundrum.

I have a 128GB iPhone 6 plus, I still have 90GB of free space, I really don't know how to use it.

I have a 64GB iPad Air 2, I still have 43GB of free space...

Apple should have a 64GB option....

you should have bought the lesser capacity iphone 6 plus and ipad air 2 but maybe there are some other circumstances which i dont know why you bought large capacity devices. From the looks of your use you can get 32gb which will give you 26.4gb and do some icloud storage here is the pricing:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201238

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Sure, restaurants and small businesses often use iPads as point of sale or display devices, but the 16GB Mini 2 handles that.

Actually, restaurants generally use rather bulky, ugly 15" touch screen terminals. The iPad Pro and the Surface Pro 4 are the first terminals that could replace these, and the iPad has a larger screen.

In a restaurant, the standard iPad is very iffy as a central terminal (if only because the screen is seen as too small) and the Mini is clearly too small. The Mini can be used for taking orders table side, but to date there has been very little implementation in restaurants of small tablets.

Complicating this is the fact that most point of sale systems are Windows based. A number of these systems are becoming iPad compatible via virtual ware.

In addition, there are a number of native iOS systems being introduced to the market.

Whether Windows or Apple based, I believe that we are going to see an explosion in the implementation of sleek central terminals and the use of mini tablets.

I am an investor in a fine/casual (definitely not fast food) restaurant opening this winter in New York that will use a Windows point of sale system coupled with iPad Pros as central terminals and iPad Minis used by waiters to take table side orders.

We will also take table side wireless payment whether by credit card, Apple Pay, Android Pay, etc. Yes, I know that this is not exactly new to Europeans, Canadians, Australians, etc, but table side payment is brand new in the US and won't actually happen until the first six months of 2016, or 24 years after it was first introduced in France :)

This is way ahead of where New York is generally, but clearly where the city will be at in five years.

There is a huge emerging market for 13 inch touch screen devices in retail and in business generally. I think that Apple has nailed this.

Last edited:

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
I go back and forth with the storage--32GB or 128GB...but I have 128GB on my iPad Mini 2 and still have quite a bit free storage space.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm debating this myself. my Mini has 16b and its fine, my iPhone has 64GB and its got a lot of free space. If I were to take the plunge, I expect to have movies, some image editing and mostly streaming music stuff.

I feel the 128GB is a safe bet for peace of mind, though I think 32GB is probably the one that I should get given the cost and usage.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm debating this myself. my Mini has 16b and its fine, my iPhone has 64GB and its got a lot of free space. If I were to take the plunge, I expect to have movies, some image editing and mostly streaming music stuff.

I feel the 128GB is a safe bet for peace of mind, though I think 32GB is probably the one that I should get given the cost and usage.
My general rule of thumb is... if you plan on keeping it only 1-2 years, then go low, longer than that, go higher. the rationale behind that is, if you'll be passing it on or selling it after a year or so, the higher capacity models lose more value (relative to their original price) than the lower capacity models.

If you're in it for the long haul, while you might not increase the amount of media you will store on the device over time, there may be an increase in the number of apps that you regularly use. In addition, the longer you own the device the greater the possibility that Apple will enhance iOS that could increase your need for more space. (eg. split-window in iOS 9 makes it convenient for using more apps than would otherwise be used)

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
128Gb always as I travel lot and I do not always have access to the internet, my iPad mini 4 and iPad pro are both 128Gb cellular.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would rather to have a 64GB iPad Pro with LTE because I have a 64GB Air 2 it never filled up.
Seems odd how Apple defines these models. On the iPhone front, there's no 32GB and that's a model I could definitely use. The argument is that the cost of 64 is only 100 dollars over the 16GB so it doesn't make sense for apple to have it - fair enough but then we come to the iPad, where a 64GB model makes more sense and instead we have a 32GB and then it jumps up to 4 times as much space to a 128GB

Reactions: Badrottie

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Seems odd how Apple defines these models. On the iPhone front, there's no 32GB and that's a model I could definitely use. The argument is that the cost of 64 is only 100 dollars over the 16GB so it doesn't make sense for apple to have it - fair enough but then we come to the iPad, where a 64GB model makes more sense and instead we have a 32GB and then it jumps up to 4 times as much space to a 128GB
LOL ...and THAT is exactly why Apple does it. Their market research is finely tuned to storage sizes and pricing. If Apple offered the options/prices that "made sense" far fewer people would be "upsold".

The sole reason for offering a 32GB model if iPP is to be able to advertise the $799 price. Apple knows that many will pony up for the larger capacity and more expensive model.

iluvgadgets

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2015
I have the 32 gb and that works for me, my phone is 64. I don't keep many pictures on my iPad, they are on my phone, I also don't have very many movies, and a handful of games. The 32 works, I would have purchased the 64 if that had been an option, but don't need 128 gb.

hungrypenguin

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
I have the 128gb, but I considered the 32gb version in the beginning because of the price and because I never had any space difficulties on my mini 32gb. Then I thought that I am going to keep the iPad for a longer time (prob. 4-5 years) and then decided to go for the 128gb because I didn't want to delete my music, pictures, movies, apps and so on after a while.

Now I have 100gb left and not a single song is on it yet. I'm glad I got the 128gb because there are apps, which I didn't have/need on my mini, like Numbers, Pages and the MS Office apps (because I find the mini too small to work on it).

But then again, there are also people who doesn't need those big apps and don't want their music on their devices. It just depends on what you want to do with it.

Trogladite

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2016
UK
My thoughts before I bought a 128g version were.

1 I spend a chunk of my year mobile and wanted use the ipp as my only "computer"

2. I want to use it to record musical ideas.

3. I want to keep reading material on it when away from wifi. Plus a movie or two.

So far so good, though I did manage to fill the memory very quickly with music apps. I weeded out the dross and am back to half full again.

Did I make the right choice? For me yes.

If I was always near a wifi spot, maybe I could have used a cloud based solution with 32g. If I was travelling less, then used in conjunction with my rmbp, then definitely 32 would have been adequate.

For me I made the right choice.

Just offering my thoughts - in the end your circumstances will form your roads of choice.

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Given that I mainly will use it as developer device and media consumption I think 32GB for me will be fine ... But then I know I'm weak ... And might get the other one. Still few days to think about. :oops:

Trogladite

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2016
UK
Just had a thought, unusual for me I know, but does the real world use of differing memory size have any bearing on battery life. I mean comparing like for like apps and usage?

That in itself would enable a choice if like me battery life is important.

I always found real use differs from testing. Too many imponderables to test accurately.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
My ¥2: I doubt that the size of the memory would have a sigificant impact on battery. We talk only about RAM as we need some energy for the refresh cycles. In case of (32 or 128) flash storage it doesn't matter.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Which one will you buy?

Necessary? No. Convenient? Yes. With 128Gb I downloaded my entire library of ImagineFX, put a lot of tutorial videos on it, a lot of comic books, installed every app I needed, downloaded all of my Evernote notebooks and I don't worry about running out of space for Procreate files. It's great and you will use the space. But 32Gb is not bad. Depends on your needs.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
I have owned a 16GB iPad for 5 years and it´s never been out of free space..
My 32GB iPhone on the other hand is a bit of a struggle.

There are tons of apps that you don't need/use on the iPad since you have them on your phone already. I don't use the camera on the iPad so there is a 5-6GB saved compared to my iPhone and the iPad is quite heavy for a "MP3-player" so music/audiobooks is not really needed on there (10GB saved) when you have an iPhone. Battery for iPad is ≈10h, playing music on your iPhone should give you at least twice as much.. And so it continues for a lot of stuff.. 32GB iPhone + 32GB iPad is basically an "64GB iOS-device" :)

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Which one will you buy?

It highly depends on your use case. Seeing as the 32GB is WiFi-only, you're likely to be using it in a place where there is WiFi. Given this, unless you are installing a lot of games or hefty apps on it, 32GB is fine for watching a bunch of movies and media given that most pay-to-own video services (including iTunes and Google Play) will let you stream movies and TV shows to the device without it taking up storage long term.

However, if you're doing a lot of media creation with a lot of powerful apps, yeah, you'll probably need 128GB.

Personally, I have a 128GB cellular mini 4 for when I'm on the go, and a 128GB Air 2 for when I'm not. If I were to get an iPad Pro, it would live on my coffee table and probably only be used for the iWork apps, and Hearthstone. Any media playback needs could be streamed from the internet, making the 32GB model more than enough. If I wanted it to be my flagship iPad, I would probably go for the 128GB model. That being said, I do feel like it's too big and too dissimilar from the other two iPads at this point in not-so-positive ways for me to want to make it my flagship iPad.

it depends on how you are going to use it? personally i will be putting a lot of movies on mine so i went for the 128, i would always get more space than you think you need if you can afford it.

Ant

If your movies are from iTunes, Google Play, or Amazon, you don't have to store them locally to play them if you are connected to a WiFi network. In the case of Google Play and Amazon, you just need to be somewhere there is an Internet connection; there is otherwise no storage requirement at all so long as you are online. In the case of iTunes, in addition to the WiFi connection, you need the space that what you want to stream would take up, but that frees up as soon as you're done streaming. Just an FYI.

Otherwise, I agree; always better to get bigger than you think you'll need just in case (as it's not like that sort of thing is upgradable).

32GB would be perfect given the cloud stuff these days!

Imagine how nice it would be to have LTE on the 32gb model..... :-(

It depends on what "cloud stuff" you use. Yeah, if you're streaming movies from iTunes, Google Play, Netflix, HBO, etc., and just using things that tie into iCloud Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. and not loading a bunch of games or space-heavy apps, then yeah, 32GB is perfect.

As for LTE, carrying around a cellular 9.7" iPad can really be cumbersome sometimes. Doing so with a 12.9" iPad won't be fun. They only put out one model of cellular iPad Pro because they knew that the people that needed it WOULD REALLY NEED IT. Otherwise, for cellular, the smaller, the better.

64gig lte for 929 would solve all my iPad pro worries!!!

See above. Cellular isn't always optimal on the bigger 'Pads.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
As for LTE, carrying around a cellular 9.7" iPad can really be cumbersome sometimes. Doing so with a 12.9" iPad won't be fun. They only put out one model of cellular iPad Pro because they knew that the people that needed it WOULD REALLY NEED IT. Otherwise, for cellular, the smaller, the better.

150% subjective opinion. Fair enough, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

There are plenty of people that don't need lots of storage and would love to have LTE across the line.

If I were buying an iPP & could get 32GB w/ LTE it would absolutely be the one I'd grab.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
150% subjective opinion. Fair enough, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

There are plenty of people that don't need lots of storage and would love to have LTE across the line.

If I were buying an iPP & could get 32GB w/ LTE it would absolutely be the one I'd grab.

Carry around a cellular iPad Air and then carry around a cellular iPad mini and then tell me how much you would love to carry around a cellular iPad Pro.

Secondly, given this, it is assumed that if you have to have cellular on something that big, you REALLY have to have it and odds are, then, you also need 128GB of storage. This isn't an iPad designed to be for consumers (despite running an OS that really isn't designed for anything but consumption).

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Agree to disagree. Just depends on needs.

Your not right, I'm not right.
Just different viewpoints.

I carry my LTE Air 2 daily...not an issue.
Did the same for nearly a month with an iPP before return period was up. Wasn't returned due to size issues.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.