Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InTheUnion

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
I think it's fair to say the worst case scenario would be if they differentiated between MacBook/ Pro by using different versions of software (like the rumour we've been hearing with the iPhone)
:confused:
Other than that, this could mean a whole new range of notebooks might be introduced - if the rumour's even true.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I'm trying to think of what good can come from upping the CPU. Besides Safari and the core OS, increasing CPU performance and RAM for programs just creates a headache for developers in trying to create software for multiple devices. Do you code for older software and ignore speed and memory increases? Do you ignore older hardware and stick with the latest?

Hmmm...Surely there's some possible flexibility here. Isn't there something like 30,000 apps in the iTunes store already? It would seem that people of older iphones would still have some choices. I know I haven't seen every app in the place. Also not all new apps may require the performance of newer processors.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
iPhone stuff: DUH, we all know these things.

MacBooks: Interesting! Man why do they have to change them so much so quickly the last 6 months when I just got mine 2 months ago. This is all hurting my resale value! :(

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
If they call the Aluminium MB a MBP they better get rid of the TN display. The 13” IPS in the MBA would work fine. :D

I'll give you $5,000 for a Macbook Air with a 13.3-inch 1280*800 IPS display. (excludes models that may be introduced after this post was made)

dreadpiratepj

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
A iPhone mini (I hope that's not the name!) 3/4 the size of current unit would be cheaper, use less power, while staying compatible with current software. 3/4 smaller screen doesn't necessarily mean 3/4 lower resolution. A $129 or lower iPhone @ Walmart would sell like popcorn! Same for a smaller, lower priced iPod Touch, but only if fully compatible w current App Store titles.

What am I saying, they're already selling like popcorn at current prices. These new smaller models would sell like popcorn laced with crack! LOL

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Info on a new camera/optics would've been welcomed. As would a front-facing camera of course. :)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I wouldn't doubt Gruber, but the whole "MacBook vs. MacBook Pro" thing seems off.

Apple needs to dump the plastic MacBook entirely. While bringing down the prices of the aluminum MacBooks.

Yet you still need a consumer line and a pro line. Hence, MacBook and MacBook Pro. I can't see this changing.

I would either doubt him or question who the F thought of this at Apple. There are obvious differences between the MacBook and MBP lines, the least of which is screen size. I'm thinking that Apple will ditch plastic completely once they can afford to make the $1,000 aluminum notebook. Also, most pros aren't going to need the lower-end MacBooks for real "pro" applications. I mean you wouldn't buy a "pro" model for all the tasks that netbooks are designed to barely do.

NK3000

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2009
Million Dollar Question

600mhz, 256mb ram, 32gb. These are givens, I don't even consider them rumors anymore. The question is, after they announce at WWDC, when will they sell it?

My guess is the upcoming Palm Pre releasing right before WWDC and the upcoming Blackberry 9630 have the capability to dilute the next gen iPhone. It will be amazing, but however amazing it is, Palm is rumored to have made a nice product and Blackberry has been working hard to keep marketshare. I doubt many (if any) will trade their iPhone in for the 9630 or the Palm Pre, but having a nice phone offered by your carrier such as Sprint with the Pre gives people a lot less incentive to switch over to AT&T.

They must release this phone A.S.A.P. Anyone have any ideas on dates, I'm assuming mid July, but earlier would be better for everyone.

iMaggot

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2009
Your House
I wouldn't doubt Gruber, but the whole "MacBook vs. MacBook Pro" thing seems off.

Apple needs to dump the plastic MacBook entirely. While bringing down the prices of the aluminum MacBooks.

Yet you still need a consumer line and a pro line. Hence, MacBook and MacBook Pro. I can't see this changing.

Yeah i agree, theirs no way they are going to rename aluminum-based notebooks to "MacBook Pros" lol.

wolfie

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2008
I don't see the problem. Look at the iMac line, it's one name, no iMac and iMac pro? The lower end iMacs use the 9400 and weaker specs than the more expensive iMacs, but it's all the same desktop name.

Portable Macs could be split into two catorgories rather than the current 3.
Macs for plastic, pro for alu.

There might be uprades to differ the plastic model and low level alu ' pro '
But nothing to bridge the gap between the current alu MacBooks and the pros...

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I don't care what they call it, I just want the upgrade already. I figured I was so close to the next bump that I would wait. Amazing how long the wait feels when you really want something. :D

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
They should scrap the plastic models altogether. Don't mess around with the well-known names. Although that's what people said when they tossed the Powerbook name.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Is the new unibody 13" MacBook is now called MacBook Pro? That is silly I would expect that Apple will discontinue the plastic in the process. I'm just hoping that they will update iMac with Bluray drive. This makes me want to buy an iMac if that's the case. Crossing my finger now!

You'll be waiting a long time then. Theres a few other threads covering that topic and the fact it costs so much for a portable Bluray drive (~$900) I can't see it happening)

600mhz, 256mb ram, 32gb. These are givens, I don't even consider them rumors anymore. The question is, after they announce at WWDC, when will they sell it?

This is what I want to know! I need a 32GB iPhone so I can put my pictures and videos on. My music takes up majority of the space. Wounder :(

L3F7-S1D3

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
CO.
Imho

I hope that the new Iphone will have the following features.

32 and 16 Gigabyte models are inevitable.
My hope and what I think is that the price points will be maintained.
3.2 Megapixel Camera, up from the 2 megapixel.
Video recording and editing capability, as well as MMS (Picture or Video messaging)
Discontinuation of the metal edge between the front and back of the phone.
1.5x the battery life (this is semi-dependent upon the OLED screen)
OLED Screen (WOOOOT!)
600MHz over the currently existing 400MHz as well as 256MB ram over the currently existing 128MB, however, the new iphone should be about 1.5x faster than the current generation.
Built-in FM Transmitter
Apple Logo Illumination
Rubber-tread backing
Sleeker design (possible, but not likely imo, unless it comes from the OLED technology, in that they won't need a backlight... )
Built-in Compass
Turn-by-turn directions
And lastly, but most interesting, is that through GPS, Compass, Camera, and GoogleMaps, the phone will be able to take a photo, and then later tell you exactly where the photo was taken, and in what direction. Just interesting, not necessarily a "break-through". :D

Oh, and the rumored release date is July 17th, though I find this possibly a little soon because of something that I read earlier saying that Apple was looking to hire someone to work with the new iPhone processor, although this could just mean after the phone has been released.

Lefteous

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
A 13 inch MacBook Pro? That generates expectations:
- Anti-glare option (including no black keyboard and black display hinge for the matte option)
- Significantly improved display quality
- Display resolution (1440x900 as in the Lenovo x300)
- ExpressCard Slot
- Firewire 800
- Huge battery
- Blu-Ray
- 3G networking (no contract of course)

That's what I call a "minor" update :D

Price doesn't matter if this comes true.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I can see a plastic Macbook-$799 Macbook Touch $999 Macbook Pro's starting at $1199.

Oh my! Will "Lauren" ever find a laptop in her price range, and finally become "cool?" Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion right after these words from our sponsor...

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
A 13 inch MacBook Pro? That generates expectations:
- Anti-glare option (including no black keyboard and black display hinge for the matte option)
- Significantly improved display quality
- Display resolution (1440x900 as in the Lenovo x300)
- ExpressCard Slot
- Firewire 800
- Huge battery
- Blu-Ray
- 3G networking (no contract of course)

That's what I call a "minor" update :D

Price doesn't matter if this comes true.

I think you forgot to add that it needs little wheels and a pull handle so you can get around with it. ;)

Lefteous

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
I think you forgot to add that it needs little wheels and a pull handle so you can get around with it.
Well ok a 95 Watt battery isn't realistic but the 13 inch also needs less power so 70-75 Watt would be fine. I would personally prefer an external optical drive. That would definitely give enough space for the extra connectors on the right. That would be something between MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. Perfect for me but unlikely to happen.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I hope that the new Iphone will have the following features.

32 and 16 Gigabyte models are inevitable.
My hope and what I think is that the price points will be maintained.
3.2 Megapixel Camera, up from the 2 megapixel.
Video recording and editing capability, as well as MMS (Picture or Video messaging)
Discontinuation of the metal edge between the front and back of the phone.
1.5x the battery life (this is semi-dependent upon the OLED screen)
OLED Screen (WOOOOT!)
600MHz over the currently existing 400MHz as well as 256MB ram over the currently existing 128MB, however, the new iphone should be about 1.5x faster than the current generation.
Built-in FM Transmitter
Apple Logo Illumination
Rubber-tread backing
Sleeker design (possible, but not likely imo, unless it comes from the OLED technology, in that they won't need a backlight... )
Built-in Compass
Turn-by-turn directions
And lastly, but most interesting, is that through GPS, Compass, Camera, and GoogleMaps, the phone will be able to take a photo, and then later tell you exactly where the photo was taken, and in what direction. Just interesting, not necessarily a "break-through". :D

Oh, and the rumored release date is July 17th, though I find this possibly a little soon because of something that I read earlier saying that Apple was looking to hire someone to work with the new iPhone processor, although this could just mean after the phone has been released.

A lot of things that you've mentioned we know for a fact are happening, mainly through 3.0 beta.

I would also like to put in a 'request' as it were; a light/flash for the camera so that you can use the camera at night a little better. It's useless in low light conditions

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
... I would personally prefer an external optical drive. That would definitely give enough space for the extra connectors on the right. That would be something between MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. Perfect for me but unlikely to happen.

Drop in some discrete graphics and Firewire esp... sweet.:cool:

I'm all over that.

Better screen would be icing on the cake.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
That rebranding, quite honestly, sounds absolutely stupid. The current MacBooks, aluminum or not, are not 'pro' machines. It can even be argued that the current MacBook Pro isn't even a 'pro' machine. Stupid, stupid decision on Apple's part if true.

I agree. This could cause "confusion" among consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.