Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

should I get the 42mm or 38mm

• Total voters

sahilpatel12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Merica
Do you have any type of measuring tape?

think so, maybe like one one those that your measure chest and stuff with it i can look for it.

----------

Going by the pics, definitely 42, but what's your wrist size? Very important when it comes to available bands you could wear. the decision could be made for you, just by your wrist size!!

my bad i will be getting sport one since alot of people were saying its gonna flop but im not hoping for it but just precaution so the sport verison that comes with two bands small , m/large.

----------

It's really hard to tell based on these pictures. It would be a lot easier if you cut out the Apple Watch template strips and put them around your wrist. Also, have you measured the circumference of your wrist (in mm)?

http://imgur.com/a/jcBTY with cutouts.

----------

Do you have any type of measuring tape?

well bad luck coulnt find tape but i found a flexy ruler and i did it with it and give it or take it rough was between 6 and 7 inchs roughly.

Shadow Runner

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
you don't need a flexible ruler, just use string to wrap around your wrist and then measure the string on a ruler :rolleyes:

sahilpatel12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Merica
you don't need a flexible ruler, just use string to wrap around your wrist and then measure the string on a ruler :rolleyes:

did it, still same result between 6 and 7 inchs , so about about 170.18 ish mm since it was at dot 6.5-7 mark in inchs.

----------

how many mm is the gshock? i have an ambit 3 and have always wondered that

well darn it lol did same with ruler and just measured from gshock logo to my blacklight button and it was 1.9inchs:eek: and it turns out to be 48.26mm

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
think so, maybe like one one those that your measure chest and stuff with it i can look for it.

----------

my bad i will be getting sport one since alot of people were saying its gonna flop but im not hoping for it but just precaution so the sport verison that comes with two bands small , m/large.

----------

http://imgur.com/a/jcBTY with cutouts.

----------

well bad luck coulnt find tape but i found a flexy ruler and i did it with it and give it or take it rough was between 6 and 7 inchs roughly.
I say either one would work, but I think the 38mm looks the best. There's quite a big difference between 6-7 inches, so without a reading in millimeters, I can't give a more definitive recommendation. If I had to guess, your wrist looks to be closer to 6 inches, or around 155mm.

sahilpatel12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Merica
I say either one would work, but I think the 38mm looks the best. There's quite a big difference between 6-7 inches, so without a reading in millimeters, I can't give a more definitive recommendation. If I had to guess, your wrist looks to be closer to 6 inches, or around 155mm.

i have measured it by ruler and string method and it comes down 6inchs and point 7 so 6.7inchs= 170.18mm

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
did it, still same result between 6 and 7 inchs , so about about 170.18 ish mm since it was at dot 6.5-7 mark in inchs.

----------

well darn it lol did same with ruler and just measured from gshock logo to my blacklight button and it was 1.9inchs:eek: and it turns out to be 48.26mm

Casio posts all Gshock dimensions on their website. There's no need for your half-assed measurement guesses. You can compare 1:1 to know the exact size difference, including thickness and weight.

rhyme

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
I agree with the majority. The 42mm looks good on you. It's a more masculine look, and you can carry that off. If you are still undecided, the 42mm, having a larger face, will be easier to interact with.

(As for myself, I'm getting a 38).

satyrica

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Get the 38mm. Keep in mind that the actual apple watch is pretty thick and if you get the 42mm version it will look really weird on your 17cm wrist especially is you're gonna wear a shirt. Here's a big watch on a medium sized wrist. It looks so tasteless, imo.
bd6955eea1c0c148838ab942177e4430.jpg

I have similar wrist size (18cm) and i always wear 36-40mm watches. I have some that are 42-45mm, but they look weird on me if i wear something other than a short sleeved tshirt. :D
Where did you get that shirt?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.