Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Wow.... 8 GB or RAM and you are taxing it? What the heck are you gys doing wit these things, trying to round off infinity?

Last night I imported 56,002 photos into Aperture. ;)

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Wow.... 8 GB or RAM and you are taxing it? What the heck are you gys doing wit these things, trying to round off infinity? :D

I probably score at the lower end of this calculation and I'm leaning towards a 4GB model but then you start thinking..... Should I just go for 8 GB?

Ugh.

In 10 years of buying apple products I've learned to worship two things: SSDs and RAM. Many people will tell you that you're fine with 4GB. My advice, if it's not too hard of a dent in your wallet, get the 8.

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
A handy guide........no idea if it actually is true but i scored 9 anyway, saving some well needed cash and sticking with 8GB, not even close to needing 16. Thanks!

Always wondered about people who say you HAVE to get 16gb with a apple laptop, then it niggles at the back of your mind as the Retina is non upgradable so you worry but now....im worry free! :D

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
A handy guide........no idea if it actually is true but i scored 9 anyway, saving some well needed cash and sticking with 8GB, not even close to needing 16. Thanks!

Always wondered about people who say you HAVE to get 16gb with a apple laptop, then it niggles at the back of your mind as the Retina is non upgradable so you worry but now....im worry free! :D

From both my experience and others, the scoring is very spot on. If you scored 9 and bought 8Gb of RAM, expect at least 5 good years before a noticeable drop in performance. Remember that if you don't upgrade the OS, it will theoretically be as just as fast in 10 years, as when you bought it. I would recommend upgrading to the next version of OSX though, as if the rumoured UI changes are true, keeping it on 10.9 will make it look old. All I'm saying is that if you upgrade the OS 3-4 times, you will have great performance until the day you buy a new one.

Enjoy your MBP :)

----------

Last night I imported 56,002 photos into Aperture. ;)

You are the type of person that knows how much RAM you need. This thread is really made for people that don't know how much RAM to get.

By the way, how long did that import take? :p

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
By the way, how long did that import take? :p

The import of 56,0002 photos took less than 1 hour. I started the import and when to watch TV. It was done when I got back.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Interesting idea. It might be worth talking about page outs, or having a link to somewhere that talks about. In my opinion, that's the only way to know if you need more ram. From your pointing system, I score 10 and constantly get large amount of Page Outs and system slowdowns on 8GB of ram right now. I'd add having a bad Chrome tabs addiction in there.

Onewinged37

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2014
I added up my scores and arrived at a 13. I have to say that I plan to use my macbook pro for final cut pro, aperture, and logic pro. Is 8gb enough for me? Currently I have a macbook pro from 2011 with 4gb and I get a lot of lag and issues where the program has to close. Help!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I added up my scores and arrived at a 13. I have to say that I plan to use my macbook pro for final cut pro, aperture, and logic pro. Is 8gb enough for me? Currently I have a macbook pro from 2011 with 4gb and I get a lot of lag and issues where the program has to close. Help!

If you plan to use FCP X and Logic Pro heavily, you should be considering a 15" instead :)

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
after effects multiprocessing can eat through ram. opening large 3d scenes can eat through ram. i know this guide is more for casual users who can probably get by on less, but i also know from experience (look at my posting history) that not enough ram can make creative work a living hell. going from 8 to 16 for the above tasks made a WORLD of difference, and i would score at the low end of 8gb by this questionnaire.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
after effects multiprocessing can eat through ram. opening large 3d scenes can eat through ram. i know this guide is more for casual users who can probably get by on less, but i also know from experience (look at my posting history) that not enough ram can make creative work a living hell. going from 8 to 16 for the above tasks made a WORLD of difference, and i would score at the low end of 8gb by this questionnaire.

Yep. After Effects will pretty much use as much RAM as you let it. I have 96GB in my work workstation and it'll use most of that working in 4K.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008

Check this out to know if you need more ram. Restart your computer and go about a regular day or two. Then have a look at the page out number. If it's zero, more ram would do absolutly nothing for you. If it's a few MB then it means that at some point you ran out of ram but it wasn't too bad (if you've been using your computer for a few days). In that case, you can consider upgrading your ram, especially if you know you'll be doing even larger projects. Lastly, if you have gigs of page out, then you really need more ram.

The programs you mentioned all could easily break that 8 GB barrier depending on how you're using them. Yet if you're diligent in your use, you can get by with say 2 GB (heck we were just a few years back).

However, from the lag you're experiencing, it sounds to me like you could benefit from an SSD.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013

I'd say get the 15" entry with 8Gb of RAM.

----------

This thread is for people that don't know how much RAM to get. If you are using heavy 3D applications, you already know how much RAM you need. Imagine this is just for the people that make RAM threads asking how much RAM they should get.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Check this out to know if you need more ram. Restart your computer and go about a regular day or two. Then have a look at the page out number. If it's zero, more ram would do absolutly nothing for you. If it's a few MB then it means that at some point you ran out of ram but it wasn't too bad (if you've been using your computer for a few days). In that case, you can consider upgrading your ram, especially if you know you'll be doing even larger projects. Lastly, if you have gigs of page out, then you really need more ram.
The programs you mentioned all could easily break that 8 GB barrier depending on how you're using them. Yet if you're diligent in your use, you can get by with say 2 GB (heck we were just a few years back).
However, from the lag you're experiencing, it sounds to me like you could benefit from an SSD.
I constantly page out many gb and my machine never slows down.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
That's the thing, I think people get so fixated by memory they forget that OSX has really great memory management.
I remember paging out with a hdd was horrific. My attitude was also to always get as much ram as possible.
This has now completely changed since ive used the new pcie-ssd macbooks.
The only way to run out of memory now is, if you multitask multimedia apps like crazy.
And then I noticed you run into another problem: battery life.
You only get maybe 3hours out of a macbook working like that.

So if you know you need to do hardcore multimedia stuff, try a desktop.
Macbooks are there to be mobile.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My attitude hasn't changed too much, in that you should short change the configuration because of OSX's memory management but rather not to over buy.

If 8GB is going to suit you for the next year or so because of the apps you run (or rather don't run) then don't get 16GB. You'll not really use the ram, and even if the 8GB swaps once in a while, it won't bring the system down.

I think the 4gb is a tad meager and why set yourself up for frustration

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
My attitude hasn't changed too much, in that you should short change the configuration because of OSX's memory management but rather not to over buy.

If 8GB is going to suit you for the next year or so because of the apps you run (or rather don't run) then don't get 16GB. You'll not really use the ram, and even if the 8GB swaps once in a while, it won't bring the system down.

I think the 4gb is a tad meager and why set yourself up for frustration

With RAM compression, I was really pushing my 8Gb of RAM in my iMac. With all of my apps running (50+ apps), as well as video rendering, and around 140 tabs open, I was using 20.5Gb of RAM with 2Gb being swap. So really, the most 8Gb of RAM can be pushed with RAM compression is around the 18.5Gb before heavy page out's occur. I am also using a HDD in my iMac, and the page out's only became apparent at the 16-17Gb in use. I'm very impressed that I was able to push it that much.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
good thread. Should give an indication to most people that they do not require 16

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I constantly page out many gb and my machine never slows down.

Yes, if you have multiple applications open and are using an SSD drive. I recently had to go back to an HDD in my non retina macbook pro it feels soooo slow and it becomes unresponsive once I start getting page outs.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Yes, if you have multiple applications open and are using an SSD drive. I recently had to go back to an HDD in my non retina macbook pro it feels soooo slow and it becomes unresponsive once I start getting page outs.

I have a HDD iMac with 8Gb of RAM, and page out's occur at 18.5Gb. I'm not complaining ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.