Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Adobe Announces Photoshop Elements 6.0 for Mac

Adobe announced that Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 for Mac will become available in the second quarter of 2008. Adobe plans to show off the latest version of Elements at Macworld Expo next week.
"We're excited to showcase a brand new version of Photoshop Elements at Macworld," said John Loiacono, senior vice president of Creative Solutions at Adobe. "In this release, we've focused on going beyond the basics to make everyday and advanced tasks even easier to achieve. Photoshop Elements 6 for Macintosh allows people to organize and find photos quickly, unleash powerful editing tricks without any heavy lifting, and creatively share photos that give them all the bragging rights."
Adobe details the new features on their website, including a number of video demos:

- Create a Group Shot from multiple photos
- Make easy selections
- Use curves adjustments

Version 6.0 of Elements finally brings the Mac version of Elements in par with the Windows version. Adobe had previously skipped realeasing Elements 5.0 for the Mac. Version 6 also introduces Intel Mac support and will be available for $89.99.

Article Link

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I often wonder about using Elements instead of iPhoto....anyone have a compelling argument on that?

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
I wonder what happened to Photoshop Elements 5 for the Mac. As far as I know the last version for the Mac was 4 (or am I wrong again !!) ... :eek:

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
Shouldn't the title of this be: "Adobe Announces that they still aren't shipping Photoshop Elements 6.0 for the Mac"

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I often wonder about using Elements instead of iPhoto....anyone have a compelling argument on that?

Arguments in favor of iPhoto

• Bridge isn't as good a management tool as iPhoto, in my opinion
  • iLife and iWork integration
  • Easy publishing options (e.g. photobooks)

I think PSE makes a great supplement for iPhoto or Aperture (or LIghtroom for that matter) though.

Switched2aMac

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2006
Somewhere in Wisconsin
It's about time

Geez....It's about time. Wonder why they skipped Elements 5. I was always looking for it on the internet. It is slow in an Intel Mac. Hope the new Elements is going to be faster.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Elements can do lots of things iPhoto cant.
Most digital photographers could probably manage all their needs with Elements without having to go to the expense of the full Photoshop. In fact from what I hear version 6 for the PC has a few cool features that CS3 hasn't got.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Let's go easy on Adobe guys - the first shipping intel macs were only 2 years ago. And you know, developers were hardly informed of the switch
that's sarcasm if anybody is feeling very dense today
that said - I will probably get this

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Do you need to select things? Cut things out? Alter the color of part of an images instead of the whole thing? Merge different images and add text for some kind of poster?

These are things iPhoto is not meant for.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Elements can do lots of things iPhoto cant.
Most digital photographers could probably manage all their needs with Elements without having to go to the expense of the full Photoshop. In fact from what I hear version 6 for the PC has a few cool features that CS3 hasn't got.

Often there are little features that are put into Elements and not in Photoshop, and later incorporated into Photoshop because they were so popular and easy to use in Elements. Such is the case with the Quick Selection feature where you paint an area you want selected. (Unless I am wrong, it appeared first in Elements 4.0, then in CS2 or 3... I forget these things).

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Hurray! Finally! How long have we been waiting for this? I'm still ploughing on with PSE 2.0 on my Mac. I like the no-nonsense interface in 2.0, don't need the most comsumerist facilities in the later versions, but will very much welcome the speed from the native code.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Elements is more of a photo editor then an organiser. Although now it does have some good abitlies to organize photos but it lacks integration with other Apple iLife programs

But Elements can do edits that just can't be done with iPhoto. Elements is very much like Photoshop in the it has seltion tools, layers and masks

The best thing to do is to use iPhoto to organize your images and then in iPhoto's Perference panel you can specify an external editor to use. Select Elements as that editor. then when you double click an image inside iPhoto that image comes up inside elements and automatically goes back to iPhoto when you save and quite in Elements. Its nearly seamless. The down side is that iPhoto starts up a new copy of Elements each time, so it is slow or at least is was slow with Elements version 4 because of Rosetta, a universal binary PSE6 will be faster

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
So, how would I go about upgrading from Elements 1 (OS 9) to Elements 6. Will I just need a previous installation key?

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Elements is more of a photo editor then an organiser. Although now it does have some good abitlies to organize photos but it lacks integration with other Apple iLife programs

But Elements can do edits that just can't be done with iPhoto. Elements is very much like Photoshop in the it has seltion tools, layers and masks

The best thing to do is to use iPhoto to organize your images and then in iPhoto's Perference panel you can specify an external editor to use. Select Elements as that editor. then when you double click an image inside iPhoto that image comes up inside elements and automatically goes back to iPhoto when you save and quite in Elements. Its nearly seamless. The down side is that iPhoto starts up a new copy of Elements each time, so it is slow or at least is was slow with Elements version 4 because of Rosetta, a universal binary PSE6 will be faster

Do you need to select things? Cut things out? Alter the color of part of an images instead of the whole thing? Merge different images and add text for some kind of poster?

These are things iPhoto is not meant for.

Excellent feedback. Thanks y'all. Once I get my new MBP I should have enough horsepower to handle the spawning of PSE... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.