Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allonzoallegro

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
However, Apple has thrived against cheaper competing hard drive based players - it is expanding from juke-box type players into the smaller, more portable players - the healthclub, mountain biking, snowboard crowd.

Do other sports have as much problem with using the iPod as runners do? I've never even bothered to try and use it when training, just from the number of people who have said you just can't job with it (since it's a hard drive)...

Just wondering.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Originally posted by Fender2112
I'm not going to read the first 100 posts. So if I repeat something, so be it.

1 ...

2 ...

3. If the retailers have to take shippments of all five colors like they did with fruit colored iMacs, I have a feeling there will be a lot of left over pink minies

I bet you are a guy. Approx. 50% of the population is female, and at last time I checked, a lot of them do like the color pink.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Re: What does the ipod mini use for storage?

Originally posted by mstecker
What does the ipod mini use for storage? Is it flash? Or is it a hard drive?

Can anyone provide conclusive proof?

If it is a memory-based player, it's a super-duper bargain at $249.

Hard drive.

Capacity

* 4GB, 15GB, 20GB or 40GB hard disk drive(1)
o Holds 1,000, 3,700, 5,000 or 10,000 songs in 128-Kbps AAC format(2)
o Stores data via FireWire or USB 2.0(3) hard drive

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

neeotronik

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2003
LOL!!!! The 10 Gig model at 299.00 was still a better deal. 15 Gigs is even better!!!! Absolutley correct; if they had just dropped the price of the 10 GIG it would have been better received. 60 percent less capacity than the 10 gig and only 50 bucks cheaper. 75 percent less the 15 gig and only 50.00 cheaper. That's highway robbery; BRING BACK THE 10 GIG; they shaved off 6 gigs and priced it 50.00 cheaper. INCREDIBLE!

Stewdy

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
SC
I'll be honest, I was expecting the price to be around $200 or so, but I really don't think that the extra $50 is anything to get too worked up over (especially considering educational pricing at $229). If the ipod mini is good for running and won't skip (as I've heard other ipod owners claim is an issue) then that's good enough for me and I'll buy one. I just got my first mac a month ago (12" G4 ibook) and immediately imported every CD I own. That came up to about 2,700 songs and a little over 10GB. I will probably never listen to 70% of what I have on my hard drive but they're there if I want them. So 30% of 2,700 is about 810 songs which will fit on an ipod mini. So basically I'll be able to carry around anything that I'd be remotely interested in listening to now (vs. what I liked 10 years ago). So, for me I don't have a problem with 4GB. Especially considering that my ipod mini and my ibook will chat at least every few days. If there is a song that I'm dying to listen to while running then I'll just add it to my ipod mini playlist. Now if the mini skips when i run... Guess I'd better buy applecare too. :)

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
not sure if anyone mentioned it but....the new iPod mini uses a 4GB hitachi compact flash micro drive.

Indiana Mac

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2003
Athens, Georgia
The iPod is Apple's most visible brand, possibly ever. Instead of giving the impression that, yes you can afford an Apple product, they instead price the new "mini" at an absurd price. Its just repeating the whole conception of Apple as a "expensive toy" instead of a workhorse. Instead of dropping the 10 gig iPod, they should have just dropped the price. They whould have gained further market share, while reducing the impression that Apple only makes expensive toys.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
mr_t_inducted_1102orgA.jpg

I pity the foo! who does'nt pick the gold plated mini!

^_^

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
A lot of people are talking about the price of the mini being justified because it is going up against the high-end flash market. But if it is indeed hard drive-based, then in reality it is not competing at all; it exists only in an awkward purgatory. It will suffer all of the same problems that the iPod suffers in "active" listening conditions, such as running, working out, etc. There is a lot more forgiveness regarding shock, vibration, and movement from solid state media than there is from hard drives.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Re: My Sample Test On Non-Mac Users

Originally posted by mainemike
To take this a small step further, I asked three of my son's buddies what they thought of the iPod mini. These kids (except for my son) do not use Macs or own iPods. First reaction when they saw pics of the mini was "Cool!" and "Man, that's tiny!" followed by a general consensus that the mini iPod looked "sweet". I then mentioned that the mini costs $249.

When you're a kid, anything over $100 sounds too expensive.

I don't think Apple intends for children to be able to scrape together thier allowance money and buy these minis. They'll beg their parents and the parents will buy them.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
I might get one just to be different, and for the belt clip..i think it's cool. But really this sucked a big fat one. My this is an apple plot to seel more 15G iPods, anyone think about that. For sure people are going to say "damn for only $50 more i can get a 15G."
Sneaky little devils arent they.

i_eclipse

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
What's the point!

wow so pointless! ok i agree, very nice but every says the same thing,, everyone will just end up with th 15gig..

if it had stayed at 10gig, maybe the gap would not have been so big..
but right now,, completely pointless in the market right now,, apple needs to release a 2 gig version at 149 with a cornice 2 gig..

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
No offence, but you people who think it's overpriced are extremely short-sighted.

The mini comes with a dock, a case, armband, remote control - all things the 15GB doesn't have. So, no, spending $50 more won't get you the same thing with 11 more GBs.

And some suggested to keep the 10GB model and mark it down $50. Have the cost price of 10GB 1.8" drives fallen $50 recently? The difference in price of 10GB and 15GB drives is far less than $50. Not only that, the price of storage is only a small part of the cost of an iPod.

The iPod mini has all the same guts as a bigger iPod. The difference is the storage which is only part of the cost. I don't see how Apple could charge $200 or less and still make money on them.

$249 is a fair price - as illustrated by Rio who are charging the same thing for a device not nearly as nice. But if you disagree, please point out the cost of the various components of the iPod to see where Apple is gouging us.

allonzoallegro

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
not sure if anyone mentioned it but....the new iPod mini uses a 4GB hitachi compact flash micro drive.

So does this solve the running problem, because if that were the case, then that would be a major selling point. If not....well, it's already been said.

So, does anyone know exactly what's under the hood of the mini and whether or not it would skip, based on what's been seen in previous iPods?

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Yea the price is a big deal i see...Yea..I think if they made it at 199, EVERYONE will buy one. I know all my Windows-user friends would. They love the iPod, but they just find it too expensive. At 199 for the mini, it'd be excellent!

But I think jobs would lower the price later...and increase the size by a GB maybe. So its 5, 15, and 20 and 30...I dont know...lets just be happy :D

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
i'm just annoyed about the fact that apple didn't announce anything that really set the world on fire... i was so psyched about this keynote, and turned out to be quite dull actually.

i really wanted to see something truly groundbreaking that would create a rise in Apple stock price. alas, none.

here's to a strong 2004

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by hayesk
No offence, but you people who think it's overpriced are extremely short-sighted.

The mini comes with a dock, a case, armband, remote control - all things the 15GB doesn't have. So, no, spending $50 more won't get you the same thing with 11 more GBs.

For the last time. No it doesnt. No dock. No armband. You do get a belt clip, a firewire and usb cable. That's it. Not even a case.

However, if they were smart, that's exactly what it WOULD contain. I can agree that $250 would be a great deal with those things included.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Must have used the Toshiba, not the Crucible

Originally posted by Curufinwe
I think that they must have used the Toshiba 1" drive rather than the Crucible drive announced yesterday. Otherwise how could they announce a product this highly priced?

At around $200 they would sell a HELL of a lot more of these things. . .

Ummm ... the Rio unit appears to use the Cornice drives, and it sells for $250 as well ...

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I wonder if they update the normal ipods with voice recording abilities and such things you couldn't fit into the form factor of the new ipods thus creating a difference between the 2 product lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.