Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
Nexus 10 is 1.7 Ghz, and has 2GB Ram, and has higher resolution, thinner/lighter, and is $100 cheaper, and has multiple user accounts... hmm I dont know which one I'm gonna buy...:rolleyes:

Typical fandroid, blindly believing more MHz = better, then coming to an Apple forum and bragging about his choice :p

Enjoy your generic hardware and crappy malware-infested OS. We'll stick to quality, as we always do.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
If you follow other posts there are certain apple stores allowing the "trade ins" from the iPad third gen to the iPad fourth gen if the iPad is within the 30 day bought period. So if the month you had it is in that range, you might want to look into that.

I assume he meant the iPhone 5, which has been out for a month and is faster than the iPad third gen.

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
How long do you think their stock of ipad 3 replacements will last and will they start using the 4 to replace broken 3s?

Tevlon

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
the iPhone 5 and ipad 4 have more than doubled the predecessor :O Seems to be an Apple trend now :D I guess that is what happens when Apple makes their own chips instead of relying on others!

think of the performance boost in a few years...

slayerz96

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Singapore
I like the nexus 10's screen specs - for once someone really "trashed" the retina branding by Apple.

But I won't get the tablet for 3 reasons:
- No LTE option
- Doesn't have much tablet optimized apps for THAT resolution in Play Store, I'm happy with my GS3 for android apps.
- Plastic body. I know this is done to make it cheaper and lighter but I just prefer more "solid feeling" products.

The nexus 10 is definitely a worthwhile competitor in terms of specs, but I really don't see the tablet getting many true optimized apps at that resolution. So for now, I'll stick with iPad.

MikeCa

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
I am upgrading from a iPad 1 64GB AT&T to a iPad 4 64 GB WiFi. I hardly ever used the celluar on my iPad 1 and I have tethering on my iPhone 5 as a fallback. I am excited to just from iPad 1 to iPad 4, although I have been upgrading my iPhones along the way so I think I know what I am in for.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Upgraded with the Lightning Connector that doesn't make the new iPad thinner or lighter nor does it increase charge times or transfer rate.

Thank you, Apple.
Then why call it lightning? Kind of states something in the name. Or why not call it an 8 pin connector?

jakebrosy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
Comparisons...

Our trusty XServe G5 2GHz DP media server only scores 1810 on Geekbench...

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Damn--- if they double it again for the iPad5, it'll be getting close to my old macbook pro in geekbench. :cool:

I just checked, and apparently it's only 640 points slower than *my* old (not current) MacBook Pro (2006 - 2Ghz CD). :eek: That really put it into perspective! In fact, it'll only take 2 doublings for it to clean the clock of my *current* MacBook Pro (2010 - 17" 2.8GHz i7).

4th Gen iPad:1757
My first MacBook Pro: 2397
My current MacBook Pro: 5802

So, 2012 ARM is close to 2006 Intel, and (extrapolating) a 2014 ARM will be better than a 2010 Intel. Going just by this metric, it puts the CPU-power cross-over for Intel vs. ARM somewhere around 2016! It probably won't be the case in reality, but it's certainly not going to be too long before ARM CPUs are perfectly suited for normal peoples' desktop needs. (Heck, they might actually be there already, since an iPad will actually do most/all of what most normal people need out of a computer.)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It really seems to me that the A5X was a "Plan B" thing when the A6 wasn't ready for the 3rd gen iPad in March. iPad had the A4, iPad 2 the A5, then we got the 3rd gen iPad with A5X and now only 6 months later finally a 4th gen iPad with an A6X.

Also, Apple always releases new SoCs with iPads rather than iPhones, but iPhone 5 beat the iPad to market with the A6.

Basically, the 4th gen iPad really is what the 3rd gen was supposed to be.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Waiting

Seems like the 4th gen isn't really getting any attention at all to me. Everybody is about the iPad mini right now!!
Apple should have waited until march to release it that way it doesn't mess with the cycle and gets more media....

My wife is getting the iPad mini for her birthday. However, the refurbished iPad 3 is only $50 more expensive than the iPad mini. I'm going to wait to see how the mini looks and feels before I decide what iPad to get for myself. :)

----------

Then why call it lightning? Kind of states something in the name. Or why not call it an 8 pin connector?

Answer: Marketing Department!

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Finally the ipad is heading back in the right direction. I knew from the beginning that Apple made some serious sacrifices to make the ipad 3 happen. With the retina screen, and the A5X processor, they didn't have any choice but to use a huge battery, making the 3rd gen heavier than the 2nd gen. This upgrade is great, but its only half the necessary upgrade. They need to upgrade the screen to be more power efficient too. Its retina, but the tech behind it is inferior to the retina in the iphone 5. Come on ipad 5!

fjpoblam

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2009
I guess maybe this is the wrong place to suggest it but...

I'd enjoy seeing performance benchmarks of these Apple devices as opposed to roughly equivalent devices from other manufacturers (e.g., the new Microsoft and Google devices).

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Windoze Tablets

Same. I've had too many issues with Android tablets/phones crashing or lagging. Especially while web browsing. When I used my friend's 3rd gen iPad the browsing experience was much much better.

Still interested to see how Windows 8 tablets do. I have Windows 8 set up via Parallels and actually mostly like it a lot.

Overall I like that the Windows Tablet OS is something fresh and not just a blatant rip-off of iOS like Android is. My problem with Android is that even though it is a copy of iOS it's a very crappy looking one. It just doesn't look refined...it's like comparing MacOS to Linux. Linux may have some neat technical aspects about it but overall the UI is ugly and not as refined.

At least with Microsoft they thought out of the box with their mobile OS. Don't get me wrong...I won't be buying one ever, however, if I had to pick a rival for Apple I would rather it be Microsoft.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Finally the ipad is heading back in the right direction. I knew from the beginning that Apple made some serious sacrifices to make the ipad 3 happen. With the retina screen, and the A5X processor, they didn't have any choice but to use a huge battery, making the 3rd gen heavier than the 2nd gen. This upgrade is great, but its only half the necessary upgrade. They need to upgrade the screen to be more power efficient too. Its retina, but the tech behind it is inferior to the retina in the iphone 5. Come on ipad 5!

If you have an iPad3 it's not worth it to upgrade to an iPad4, since it'll be a long time before there are apps that are optimized for the A6X chip. We can thank the iPad Mini and iPad2 for that. :)

I bet the next version will not need to be as heavy, if the new IGZO screen is used requiring less battery. I love the iPad3 but it is a bit heavier than the iPad 2, and I'd love to have a lighter model.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Overall I like that the Windows Tablet OS is something fresh and not just a blatant rip-off of iOS like Android is. My problem with Android is that even though it is a copy of iOS it's a very crappy looking one. It just doesn't look refined...it's like comparing MacOS to Linux. Linux may have some neat technical aspects about it but overall the UI is ugly and not as refined.

At least with Microsoft they thought out of the box with their mobile OS. Don't get me wrong...I won't be buying one ever, however, if I had to pick a rival for Apple I would rather it be Microsoft.
The only similarity is that they both use icons and touch gestures. Really, you're going to give Apple exclusive rights to icons and gestures?

mvdb

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
It really seems to me that the A5X was a "Plan B" thing when the A6 wasn't ready for the 3rd gen iPad in March.

It seems to me that the non-retina display on the iPad 2 was a "Plan B". iPad 3 corrected that. iPad 4 is a logical speed bump.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
it's nice to see apple do away with the 1x a year update. It's refreshing to see them actually start to be faster on their toes.

I may be wrong, but my guess is that the 4th gen iPad won't be replaced till October of next year. I think this update was to move the iPad release cycle so that the "best iPad" is available before the holiday season.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.